It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think my son's doctor started him on to high a dose. He is taking 8mg in the morning and 8 mg at night. I think the addict in my son is telling him more is better. He has been doing great on a lesser amount of 8 mg's a day or less. WHY does he do this? He looks high when he takes 16 mg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Madyson,

16 mg isn't necessarily too high or low of a dose in and of itself. Now if your son is overly tired or having too many side effects, it might be too much for his own needs. Usually - if sub isn't being used for pain - it's prescribed as a once a day dose. That serves to get the addict away from the taking a pill when he thinks he needs it mindset of an addict. Do you know for sure the doctor has him taking it twice a day? Do you have any idea what your son told the doctor...did he tell him he was taking 8 mg off the street? Were you with him when he spoke to the doctor? I personally take 24 mg/day and as per my doctor I could go up to 32/day, but I don't require it. The dosage he takes is based on his own needs and not on any particular "correct" dosage.

Are you with your son every time he doses? Try to pay attention to his behavior before and after and make sure he's maximizing absorption, because without doing so he may not be getting the full 8 mg when he doses.

I'm no doctor and these are just some thoughts I had after reading your post. I hope your son's doing ok. And remember, it takes a while for a loved one to start to trust an addict again. I think it's normal for you to be suspicious right now - he is after all new to his recovery.

Let us know how things progress.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What do you mean he "looks high"? Does he act high?

I wouldn't worry too much about it because any "high" he gets will only be there a few days and then it subsides. Since there is a ceiling effect with sub, once he reaches it, he can increase the dose and NOTHING will happen. I think sometimes when we first get on suboxone and you are started out at a particular dose you still have some cravings. You think you need a higher dose to eliminate those. In my opinion, sometimes it is true that there ARE cravings and a dose increase is needed. Sometimes it "feels" like a craving because those little anxieties and thoughts of using don't go away right away. It takes a few months for your mind to get out of that pattern and realize the suboxone isn't going to take away ALL the pain out of life or every thought you have. That is when you can really make gains in therapy or NA or whatever form of treatment you choose for your recovery because the rest is all about dealing with THOSE feelings. Those are the ones that got us addicted to begin with.

I don't know this, but I think doctors often allow the dose increase regardless of whether there are REAL cravings or not because it isn't going to hurt the person and there is a huge psychological component to addiction and cravings anyways. If they don't allow the dose increase early on, the addict is likely to fixate on those "feelings" that may not even be real cravings or withdrawal and it will lend credibility to them in the addicts mind. Then the cravings will seem much worse. The addict has to get through this on his/her own. We are stubborn people generally and we think we know what is best. Why should the doc let 8mg of sub get in the way like that? It would just slow the process that has to take place to begin with.

Just my opinion on the issue.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I want to start by saying that I have followed your thread from the very beginning and read your blog. You asked for help and advice and many members were glad to be there for you==including me. I was so happy once you got past your husbands support, the comments from people that don't understand...the relapse of your son...the doubt of your son when he went to the doctor and they delayed his treatment........He finally made it.......he is on suboxone Legally......no more buying on the street....and now you are questioning the doctor's dosage....He looks high........getting someone to the right dose is something he is going to have to workwith his doctor on. He is not using and is finally getting his sub from a doc but yet......just my own opinion your still not satisfied. Give it time...you said he had the actual flu....my first week on sub I have to admit I felt a little high. I am sorry and maybe it's just me but I see you starting to blame the doctor for what you think is not proper.....share your concern with your son and let him talk to his doctor about it. You may be paying for it and feel you have a say in his treatment but that is between him and his doc. I am sorry if you get offended but for awhile now you have shared all the reasons you want your son to get help legally and get better......and your post is Why this dose.........he looks high...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ReRaise wrote:
I want to start by saying that I have followed your thread from the very beginning and read your blog. You asked for help and advice and many members were glad to be there for you==including me. I was so happy once you got past your husbands support, the comments from people that don't understand...the relapse of your son...the doubt of your son when he went to the doctor and they delayed his treatment........He finally made it.......he is on suboxone Legally......no more buying on the street....and now you are questioning the doctor's dosage....He looks high........getting someone to the right dose is something he is going to have to workwith his doctor on. He is not using and is finally getting his sub from a doc but yet......just my own opinion your still not satisfied. Give it time...you said he had the actual flu....my first week on sub I have to admit I felt a little high. I am sorry and maybe it's just me but I see you starting to blame the doctor for what you think is not proper.....share your concern with your son and let him talk to his doctor about it. You may be paying for it and feel you have a say in his treatment but that is between him and his doc. I am sorry if you get offended but for awhile now you have shared all the reasons you want your son to get help legally and get better......and your post is Why this dose.........he looks high...

Well this is why I think his dose is to high and why I have a problem with it.... First I do not have a lot of faith in the psychiatrist mainly because the reason the Dr. didn't prescribe it the first time they met is, he wanted to research it first. <---which makes me think he is not at all experienced. Second: J was taking 8mg or less a day... he was taking 4mg most days and I think he would take the other half if he felt he needed it. No constricted pupils and no problems he seemed like his regular self. I worry that the addict in him is telling him more is better and now he has free access to 16 mg's a day and he is taking it whether he really needs that much or not and he looks high with pinprick pupils. He said to me that he didn't feel anything when he was taking 4-8mg. I thought that was the idea? to feel normal? What does he feel when he takes 16mg verses 4mg? Wouldn't it be best if he took the lowest dose he needed that worked properly or does it really not matter? I just think that one day tapering from 8 will be much easier then tapering from 16? Do I have this all wrong? I am not being judgmental, I want him to do the right thing and I just think his little addict voice is telling him more is better. I want the correct does not just something a doctor with no experience is guessing at??? Does this make sense? I am glad you are following my blog closely but many things that happen in our lives never makes it into my blog, please don't think you have our life in a snap shot because I share a paragraph of my life every couple of days. This has nothing to do with my satisfaction or dissatisfaction...this has to do with him receiving good care and the right dose.

Thank you to all that responded including Reraise...I appreciate your experience and it is why I asked the original question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand your concerns especially given the lack of experience of the doctor. So to help answer for some of your concerns let me say this...

1. I do not know if you have been given the full truth about the psychiatrist to begin with. If he had to "look it up first" and that is why he waited to give the script, then he wouldn't have taken the suboxone courses that are REQUIRED to prescribe it for addiction. He would have learned this there and would have had to study this. How did you find this doc?

2. EVEN if this doc is prescribing illegally OR let's say he has no idea what he is doing OR he has lost his mental faculties and he doesn't remember what he learned.....he clearly researched it because he put your son on a VERY standard dose. It is a safe dose EVEN if your son has pinpricked pupils and whatever.

3. We will not know WHY they increased the dose unless you had a tape recorder in the office when your son met with the doctor so let's not go there.

4. It may take LONGER for your son to decrease his dose at this level but it won't necessarily be HARDER. The last thing either of you should be thinking about right now is him getting OFF of it. That is going to be a while and you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

5. There is no sense in worrying about things you can do nothing about. His dose is his business along with the doctor. Your son may not have felt ANYTHING when he was on the lower dose, BUT he may still have had cravings AND he probably didn't talk to you about this (if I were in his shoes I wouldn't have for a variety of reasons - none personal). If he had cravings then a dose increase was appropriate.

6. Please do not take offense to this because this is going to be a comment out of care and concern for YOU not out of criticism. You have been through a lot. Any person who loves an addict and who helps them through this process is generally emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted by this point. They also tend to fixate their lives around the addict and have done so for SO long that this becomes THEIR drug. This isn't to say you don't have genuine concerns because I believe you do and I believe they are valid. You have now gotten your son the treatment he needed. You have placed his care in the hands of a professional. It was a good decision and the safest decision there is for an opiate addict. NOW.....your family needs you to take care of YOU. You need to take some time to investigate YOUR issues, if any. But generally the family doesn't walk away scott free either. You may want to look into Alanon or any family support groups for people who have family on suboxone or who are opiate addicts.

Breathe. It is ok now if only for a moment. Take this time and breathe. You have at least a week before something goes horribly wrong.

Take care.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi madyson007 I know alot of people are going to disagree with me for what reason I dont know but any way if your son was doing fine on 8mg or less I have no idea why the doctor uped his dose? This is something you need to discuss with your doctor and son so that you are all on the right page with what is important, his recovery!!! There are many of doctors out there so maybe if this one isnt your cup of tea you should search for another. The main goal of suboxone is to immediately get the user off of there DOC (drug of choice) and eventually ween them off of everything. So again I have no idea why the doctor would up his dose if he was doing fine where he was. I wish you and your son the best of luck in your recovery process!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:02 am 
Hey!! I will give you my opinion on why he wants a bigger dose. In the beginning of my suboxone treatment i was still thinking like an addict. My mind was very cloudy. I've been on suboxone for 10 months now and yes, i felt tremendously better from the beginning but it took me about 3 good months before my mind was clear enough too see things from a normal perspective. In my opinion, the doctor is meetings your sons needs in order too get him through the very roughest part of his treatment. I feel that everyone has their own dose that fits them best. If the doctor were too basically tell him, no your gonna stay at 8mg's, then the addict in your son is probably gonna take over and he is gonna say, forget this doctor forget treatment im better off without suboxone. In other words, once your sons mind clears up a bit he will start thinking a lot better and will most likely see that he doesnt need such a high dose. Then again he may still need that bigger dose but this just goes back too, everyone is different and just because one person takes 4mg's doesnt mean your son should take that too. I personally feel that you have made great accomplishment by getting your son too follow through with this treatment. Just give it some time and you will see things start falling into place. Its a long process and personally, i wouldnt put any set date on ending his treatment. Some people are done in a couple months and some take much much longer. Give yourself a break and just enjoy knowing that your son is under a doctors care, not out on the street at risk of using, jail etc. In my opinion, as long as your son is sticking to his treatment, the best thing you can do at this time is be supportive. He will get adjusted too the medicine and those side effects will lesson by the day. Goodluck to you and your son!! I hope this was helpful!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to chime in and say that no matter what dosage of suboxone I've taken over the last year or so, my pupils have ALWAYS been constricted. It does NOT indicate that he's necessarily taking too much.

Just my two cents.

Let us know how he's doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Same here hatmaker. Doesn't matter what dose. Pupils always constricted. They only go back to a "normal" size after about 3 days of being off sub and then on day 4 they cover my entire eye :-) I look like a crazed person at that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK fine I will stay out of it. This doctor falls under the umbrella of his inpatient program, he comes in once a week... after a long struggle with the insurance company he is covered. I do not relish the thought of starting from scratch with the insurance program and try and find a new doctor. I am treading on thin ice...my husband did not want him to take Suboxone but agreed if it was covered. I do not want to upset the apple cart. I want this to be successful because my husband will blame me if it does not work out and he will be right. I am the one who pushed for this. J was completely content buying it illegally (my husband didn't know this) but i wanted him under a doctors care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow-- I don't get 'out on the posts' as much as I wish, in part because I am always writing to this or that group, trying to direct people to the forum... but as I read through this line of posts, I am very proud of how things have developed here. I was in charge of the expert forum for addiction at medhelp.org a year ago, and I started this forum over frustration with the incorrect advice that was passed in the community forum, and I felt that a fresh start was needed. I have worried from time to time that the same 'evil forces' will take over any forum on the web... evil forces being the arrogance that promotes ignorance, by stating rumor as if it were fact, or thinking that one experience indicates a univeral truth.

There are a number of excellent comments in this thread, and I just want to say thanks to everyone for the way you are making this work. The only thing I would clarify is that for the vast majority of patients, 16 mg is sufficient. As has been pointed out in the posts, addicts (we) have so much pressure that pushes us to want more-- more of anything. When I start a patient on buprenorphine, the biggest battle is in getting the person to trust the dose, to dose once per day, in the am so they are not thinking about how much they need it all day. If a person can use distraction to avoid that second dose later in the day, the cravings for 'more' will quickly subside. But if the addict feeds those psychological needs, he can get as stuck on taking more buprenorphine as he was stuck on taking more of an agonist (well, not AS stuck- he is much less likely to crash and burn over it. But there can become a chronic problem of running out early, etc, that eventually leads to failure of buprenorphine treatment).

Mom, you mention 'getting off eventually' or something like that... I really wish that the truth of the situation was that people could take buprenorphine for awhile and then stop, and everything is back to normal. In reality, the main thing buprenorphine does is keep people alive. Given the fatality rate from opiate dependence, doing THAT ALONE-- keeping him ALIVE-- would be a great thing. Yes, I see addicts who get much more than 'life'-- older people in particular do great on buprenorphine, feeling 'normal' for the first time in years, being relieved in many cases of depressive symptoms that existed for decades that may have been part of cravings, and being free from the obsession that used to fill every part of life. But for young people, sometimes we have to be grateful that they are at least still alive.

I do agree with going to an appointment if your son and you are on good terms, and asking about the issue. In general I DON'T think that enough doctors understand the value of once per day dosing, even though the course on treatment says to dose once per day. I hear from people that many docs don't stress this issue, and that is too bad, because I really see a difference in how people do when they get that part of the dosing under control. I would start a battle over it, though, as at least (if he is being tested) he is off the agonists that will kill him.

Over time, recovery does tend to take hold even for the young people (teens, early 20's) who initially 'took too much buprenorphine'. The main thing is that they keep taking it, and avoid taking agonists-- and hopefully avoid the other traps, like alcohol, benzos, or even pot for some people. Benzos are clearly the biggest danger after opiates, and we have no partial agonist to help with benzo dependence. On benzos, addicts report all cravings as 'anxiety', and take Xanax or Klonopin more and more... I mentioned that the once per day dosing is the biggest battle, and the second biggest is the battle over 'anxiety' that is actually cravings. Not cravings for opiates, as that has been controlled by the bupe-- but craving to be anything but totally aware of the world. Craving to take any substance that will change that full awareness. Benzos fit that craving perfectly... and many times when a patient is honest, we will discuss the 'anxiety' and find that at the heart, the anxiety is simply a desire to 'take something'. Addicts are great at turning that desire to 'take something' into full-blown panic attacks, convincing even themselves that they are having 'anxiety'.

I'm sorry-- I got up late today and I'm just rambling here... Mom, focus first on keeping your son alive. If he stays on buprenorphine-- even a little too much buprenorphine-- his receptors will grow tolerant to the medication and any sedation will be from something else-- so consider that part of the equation, and make sure he isn't taking a benzo or some other drug. Then, don't worry about tapering off. That is far away-- I suggest that people wait until they are in their 30's if at all possible, as the relapse rate will be much lower as they get older. He should, in my own opinion, stay on bupe until he gets started in life-- educated, employed, stable, with non-using friends, living in an area where he would have no way to find opiates within a few hours. Wait until the using people in his life have also gotten stabilized, or have died or been imprisoned. I hope for the former, but know that for many it will be the second two options.

Thanks for reading this far... and thanks, everyone, for the great work you are doing here. Please continue your efforts to educate the newcomers. The forum is going to be written about in an upcoming article in Addiction Professional Journal-- the address is addictionpro.com or something like that... and I am very proud about what is going on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That description by Dr. J of benzo cravings is SO accurate. Before I started subox, I was also hooked on xanax. I was prescribed 6 mg daily, but I usually took even more. (Another surprise it didn't kill me - that's a shitload of xanax!)

Thanks to Dr. J's perspective on benzos I've learned what my own anxiety means. And now it's all but gone , which is a very great thing.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been VERY shocked over the years at how much opiates/benzos someone can take and somehow cling to life. It's very sad indeed. (are you really "alive" though?)

I once knew a person who would take five to seven 2 mg Xanax's a day along with over 200 mg of methadone daily. His methadone clinic had him "stabilized" on that dose. He had a legitimate excuse to need constant pain management, but this was just plain excessive.

When I started on Suboxone my doctor put me on 32 mg a day. I knew on my second day when I started taking them on my own that this was WAY TOO MUCH. In fact, even half of that was WAY TOO MUCH. I couldn't take more than 12 mg without extreme side effects (getting sort of "high" but more like just "f***ed up" without feeling great). Everyone is different but I can't help but think that 16 mg is often a bit too much. Probably not though, because I'm sure there are those that were on more opiates to begin with... If not, I guess we can just chalk it up to differences in physiology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on 24 and I can promise after 280mg of oxycontin per day....it was NOT too much. I thought 16mg was perfect. At 12 I was missing something. I am now on 8mg + another 4mg as needed and it is fine. I don't want or need more. But if you come off a large dose of oxycontin or heroin or methadone, I think you need a lot.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am in agreement with Cherie, if you are coming of a high dose and you want to get the full effects of the subs to make the transition as smooth as possible then you need a higher dose than you would if you have been on sub for a while. Personally when I made the transition it took me a couple of days to find the correct dose which ended up being 16mg. At that time I took it twice a day(8mg in the A.M and 8mg in the P.M). When I was making the transition I was taking 160-200mg of OC with an assortment of the 100microgram fentanyl patches and the orange 40mg methadones(I called them biscuits lol... today when I hear someone say that word all I pic. is that orange pill). I wasn't taking all of this at the same time but I was taking HUGE amounts. The fentanyl patches I was taking were the ones with gel on the inside and most of the time I would open the patches put the gel in my mouth and swish it around for as long as I could take it. Ya I know I am a sick person. Wow I didn't mean to go of on a tangent, sorry! Anyway Cherie is right about the amount of Suboxone you need when you first start the program.

~Joseph

Post subject: sorry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble about my past drug abuse, luckily I caught myself and stopped when I did. When I am thinking about my previous abuse problems and typing it just starts to come out of me, anyway sorry. :D
~Joseeph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was on 120mg of methadone for yrs and started on 12 mg of Subs with no problems. In fact it was more than enough and I dropped to 8mg within a couple of mos. I have since tapered an avg of 2 mg per mo till I got down to 2 mg. This was with essentially no wd's. From what I've read, seen and experienced... most subs patients [who taper slowly] don't feel significant wd's until they get below 2mg... and then not much until they drop off completely.

I tell you this knowing he isn't ready to taper yet... but don't be surprised if he starts talking about getting off subs within 6 mos or so... this will likely happen once he realizes he can't get high on subs or other drugs while in the program. When/if he does choose to come off... he may decide to live a life of abstinence.... which could be good or bad depending on his individual circumstances. Please understand that many young people have a hard time accepting the concept that they need to take a drug everyday for the rest of their lives to feel normal. I don't think there are very many young addicts [late teens or early 20's] who are satisified with subs for the long term. Anyway, that's what I see and hear from the young people at my clinic. Just look at this forums categories and you will see the highest activity by far is in the "Stopping Suboxone" board. There is a reason for that...

Once he is stable... he will most likely feel no different on 16 vs 8mg and any side effects will be similar on either dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm probably one of the younger ones on this forum (I'm 21...I started taking opiates when I was 13 just recreational but for the past 3 year I abused them daily, mostly hydrocodone...150 MG or so a day or basically whatever I could get my hands on, I ended up doing heroin...Anyways) I was originally prescribed 24 MG a day, I did that for two days and cut down to 16. Subs can make some people drowsy. When I first started subs it was like clock work, I'd wake up, take on pill then at night time around 7-8PM I'd take my other pill....The second dose would make me tired, give me pinprick pupils, and also making me sweaty. I am now on 12 MG per a day and I just take it all at once an hour or two after I get up. Now, I don't get any urges or even think about taking another sub later in the day. There are a lot of people on here who take there whole dose at once and it isn't to get high or anything it's just personal preference. I asked my doctor if it was fine and he said yes as well asking the help of others on the forum. It will take an adjustment period but believe me, this is the right thing. I have been on Suboxone since August and I have not used since. I barely ever smoke pot anymore and I have cut down my drinking by about 95%...All of this due to Suboxone.

Suboxfreedom, I and my doctor both agree that I should be on suboxone for the longterm. My eventual goal is to cut my dose down more and more as time goes by. I am perfectly content in even taking subs for my whole life. If I can take one pill in the morning and not even have to think about using then I am more than happy to do so. I compare it to people taking anti-depressants. I am and will always be an addict and have come to terms with that. I never, ever want to go back to the way I was. Maybe I'm lucky that I got all my druggy years out of the way young. I've already battled three addictions (Meth, Benzos, and Opiates) and taken every drug known to man(With the exception of crack and PCP) and came out on the other side of the tunnel, I suppose I am a lucky one. Aside from the weight gain I have experience from Suboxone I have no plans in stopping in the immediate future and have accepted the fact that I maybe need to take it every day for the rest of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Quote:
Please understand that many young people have a hard time accepting the concept that they need to take a drug everyday for the rest of their lives to feel normal.

Really? That's what got me addicted in the first place!

If you son "looks high" then he might be. If he is "high" then he is on too much Suboxone, in my opinion. Every doctor I've been too attempted (and some succeeded) to prescribe me WAY TOO MUCH even though I told the truth about my usage. I think it is very likely that your doctor prescribed your son too much. Of course he won't say it's too much because he likes the way it feels. Trust me, I was the exact same way. If I took more than 8 mg or so, and if I was in the right "mood", I could start feeling pretty "good".

Just so you know there is a possibility that your son is on "too much". Many people here seem to have a strange aversion to that concept.

And really, we don't know how much "too much" is. How long has buprenorphine been used for longterm (lifelong) treatment? Not very long and possibly not long enough to have accurate data on the effects of long term, high dosage treatment. It's probably harmless but it's not like we shouldn't even talk about it.