It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

To start off I need to explain my situation. I'm 19 years old and I've been addicted to heroin for a little over 3 years. I've gone through periods of staying clean for a few months here and there (the longest I've gone is 6 months) but I always ended up back on the dope everytime. So two months ago I was at the lowest point I've ever been in my life. I had made the decision that I was going to shoot up enough heroin to purposely OD and end the pain for good. Everything seemed so hopeless and I couldnt see any other way out of the horrible situation I had put myself in. I had tried time after time to quit and always failed, so I was convinced that suicide was my best and only option. I actually sent my mother a text telling her I loved her and that I'm so sorry for what I was about to put her through but I hoped she could take some comfort in the fact that I wouldn't have to suffer another day of torture. 5 minutes later my mom was at my house pounding on my front door. When I opened the door she was balling hysterically, begging me not to do it and to let her help me get my life back. So thats when I realized that I could never put my mother, or anyone else who cares about me, through something like that. It would would completely tear her apart, and my suffering was nothing compared to what she would have to deal with after losing her child.

So anyways, I decided that if I was forced to keep living I was going to completely change my life because there is no way I could continue to keep going through this shit everyday. I agreed to move back in with my mom to get away from my roommates who were also addicted to heroin, and I got on suboxone a few days later. My doctor started me out on 16 mgs per day, but after doing some research I found out that for some crazy reason doctors prescribe and rediculously high amount that is completely unnessesary. I'm trying to get away from my addiction to opiates, not just trade one drug for another. So for the past two months I've only been taking 1 - 2 mgs per day, which was plenty to take away 100% of my withdrawal symptoms. I've felt amazing these past two months. I actually feel like myself again and I'm so thankful for my mother pulling me out of that horrible place. So here's where I think I really fucked up. I got a new job two weeks ago that pays great. I work alot of hours and work 6 - 7 days a week. So being the idiot that I am, I decided today that since I've been doing so good that I deserved to treat myself to some dope for just one day. So I went 36 hours without taking my suboxone, and hit up an old "friend" to bought two bags of dope. BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY EVER! I barely felt anything from it and now I feel horrible for going behind my mom's back after everything she's done to help me. The only good thing that came from this is that now I know I will never do this again, it wasn't worth it in the slightest bit.

So now what I need to know is if I will be safe to take the suboxone again tomorrow before I go to work or if I need to wait 24 hours to avoid precipitated withdrawals. I'm wondering if since I only used once after being clean for 2 months and my body is no longer dependant on the heroin if I will be fine taking the suboxone after only about 12 hours. I'm not exactly sure how that works though. So I'm hoping someone on here may have experience with this and can let me know what to do. I can't risk getting sick after taking the sub and not being able to make it to work. Like I said, this is a great job that I'm very thankful for and it wouldn't look good at all to miss a day after only two weeks. Thanks in advance for any advice, and I hope you guys don't judge me too much. I really am trying to turn my life around for myself, and everyone who is supporting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is exactly the reason doctors hand out high doses. To make sure your wayyyy above the ceiling...so using gives absolutely nothing... and it has to do with cravings.... especially in the beginning. So I would take what the doctor said to take for now and then taper down later in recovery.... especially because you already want to use. Doctors aren't as stupid as they are made to seem in some areas man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would wait 24 hours before dosing to be safe. Maybe take it when you get out of work so if you do get sick you'll deal with the worst that night and hopefully you'll be able to work the next day. Best of luck to you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi ryder. Congrats on working to get away from your heroin addiction. I'm glad your cry for help was heard and you didn't follow through with your suicidal thoughts. I think many of us (definitely I have) have thought death was the only way out of the mess of our addiction. It feels so very hopeless sometimes.
You're very young which is good and bad, in my opinion. Good in that you can turn this around and never go back, have a great life and have zero permanent "marks" on your life from your drug use...assuming you haven't already had any criminal convictions, etc. Bad in that you started abusing drugs and used them during a critical time of brain development....sort of stunting some of the maturing and coping skill development that you should have been doing during that time. As such, it can be more difficult for you to really get this addiction shut down. That being the case, it is generally agreed upon that addicts, especially the ones who started so young, are going to need a LOT of recovery work in order to permanently stay off drugs. What form that takes is up to you...it may be that you need to be on Sub for a very long time and do what was suggested by moviemaker and up your dose to better hold your cravings. Or it may be that you go to rehab and/or meetings or some type of serious program. Or some form of all of that. If you plan on a low dose of Sub for a time period less than one year or so to "cure" you, I hate to tell you and I don't mean this to sound ugly, but your chances of long term sobriety are slim to none. Sorry...
As to your question. Personally, because you've been on only 1-2mg of Sub, you were only off it for a couple of days, and you only did heroin once, I think you'll be fine to restart your Sub 12-24 hours post heroin use. I'd start by only taking about half a milligram though, just to make sure it won't put you in withdrawal. I think it's highly unlikely. To be even safer, why not just wait until you get just some mild wd symptoms or until after work?
Get back on track ASAP! No judgment from me! A lot of us have done the same thing, so don't feel alone! This is really hard and it's easy to fall back into using again. This is your life though....serious business! Make a plan that includes more than just a little Sub and your odds of recovering will be better.