It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I think PAWS is over
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To recap, I was on Sub nearly 6 years. I heard plenty of times that people on Sub so long are basically screwed if they want get off. That is what my final Sub doc told me and a huge reason I stuck to a careful taper. :D On top of that, my doses over the years were pretty high....up to 32 mg for a period. I started my final taper at 8 mg in late October 2010 and finished in August 2011, when I jumped from 1/16 mg.

I'm confident enough in how I've been feeling to say that either my PAWS symptoms are gone or they are so minimal that I don't care. Yesterday was 6 months out from Sub and all my problems have resolved themselves. Cold hands and feet....GONE! I'm just like I was before Sub. RLS and aching legs....GONE! No more sneezing. Once in a while, I get a weird hot flash or a bit of sweats, but they are getting so infrequent that I don't care. I'm not fatigued physically. And best of all, my mind feels sharper than it has in years and years. No depression....

I do have a little anxiety, but I'm tackling my last hurdle, which is Klonopin. I don't take a lot of Klonopin, but I've been on it nearly as long as I was on Sub, so I gotta be careful and stop it slowly and taper very low. So far, the same slow and steady method I used with Sub is working very well with Klonopin. I'm realizing that I can really do this and be 100% medication-free!!!!

The best thing I got from my Sub taper was a lot of confidence in myself and my ability to work towards something over a period of time. It's so hard to accept progress and not be stuck on just getting somewhere. However, if you can complete it, it feels amazing. I believe in tapering, because it's important IMO to keep your life going while you get off a med. If everything comes to a crashing halt because you don't feel well, then it will only be that much harder to get going again after you are better. I watched my friend do this....drop too fast and jump too high and be sick. It was not worth it. She got to the final destination faster, but it wasn't worth the price. This is a great lesson in moderation and patience.

So...I wanted to update, because I am so thrilled with how 'normal' I feel. I don't believe the Sub 'damaged' me at all. All my fears have been put to rest. I don't understand at all why some people have PAWS for years and it looks like maybe I'm escaping that, but I am certainly thankful. :D

laddertipper :D

Post subject: Yay/Yay/Yay hurray
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow Laddertipper'. you have done it ,and proved to the world that reacovery from suboxone is a well and complete treatmeant. i'm begining to believe i can do it too :) !!! only six months of not that bad w/d is wourth it to me.
i'm not ready to tapper yet" but when or if i do". i'll be thinking of you :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LT, CONGRATS! You are certainly an inspiration to me and no doubt to many others. It is so comforting to know that there is hope for us still on sub. Are you doing a physical activity regime? I read where you had a personal trainer for a time. I am curious if you feel that physical activity is a big part of the recovery? Either way you are a strong and uplifting voice for both sub treatment and the tapering process. Good luck on your sobriety. I believe in you LT. Sure hope you stick around to encourage & give sound advise to those that really need some positive words...Blessings to you and yours..

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Another Shot in the Arm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 pm 

Thanks so much for posting that LT, it is something we all need to know. You are right, so many people are against getting off the Bup and you proved them all wrong. I do like that six months and the PAWS is gone vs a year. My mind has been set on a year so you made my day.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LT, Thanks for this, you have no idea how encouraging this post is, for myself, and others. Today marks the the 3 mo. point for me and I'm just now truly starting to feel my old normal self again. I too did a long taper and jumped at .25mg, it did minimize the effects of acute withdrawal, but that wasn't really the hard part. For me PAWS has been the hardest part, not because of it's severity, but because of it's longevity. Thanks again for reminding us there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Congratulations on your recover, stay strong!

Mike

Post subject: subs and Viral illness
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[quote="Taper57"]LT, Thanks for this, you have no idea how encouraging this post is, for myself, and others. Today marks the the 3 mo. point for me and I'm just now truly starting to feel my old normal self again. I too did a long taper and jumped at .25mg, it did minimize the effects of acute withdrawal, but that wasn't really the hard part. For me PAWS has been the hardest part, not because of it's severity, but because of it's longevity. Thanks again for reminding us there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Congratulations on your recover, stay strong!

Mike[/quot

Very encouraging. I cannot believe how tired I am, depressed, chills, PAWS stuff, etc. I was only on sub for 5 months. I will never go back on. Too many side effects for me. Surgery tomorrow and hopefully only 2 days of full agonist for pain. Then I want off for good. No more opiates for me.

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Laddertipper, I have read many of your posts during your taper and that's helped me a lot. This is great to hear as well. I have gotten myself down to 4 mg since Jan 8th and plan on going all the way (I had been on 8mg per day for over 2 years).

Anyways good luck with the klonopin! My doctor tapered me off of it by switching me to valium and tapering with that, dropping the dose maybe once every month. It was not bad to be honest, I remember dreading it but really wasn't too bad. One thing that helped tho was to not have any caffeine during the process, sounds rough if you like coffee as much as I do, but it worked out for me.

Good luck and thanks again!

gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ladderstripper is da man!!! Oooops, woman! :D

You were on Suboxone for 6 YEARS, you decided to do a taper (an awesome one BTW) and now you're off of Suboxone AND free from PAWS.....dude, I'm just speechless!!!

Rock On Budward! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 pm 
f*king awesome LT, Congratulations.
:D
Subie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

CONGRATS LT ON YOUR WONDERFUL SUBOXONE FREE LIFE!!!!!!!!

COURTNEY :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats laddertipper! That's huge. 6 months :D And many more to come!

How has it been craving wise? Did you get many cravings to use Sub / other opioids?

Don't wanna put a bummer on your achievement, but keep vigilant. Relapse rates are still significant up to 2 years after becoming abstinent. Mostly because people get a bit complacent as they forget from where they've came.

Stay strong, and be proud! :D