It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

a week ago i looked through my husbands phone and seen some text messages- one asking "hey could you sell some "adds" for me? and another that said- "Hey do you still do subs?"

i confronted him about it, and he said that he is not selling drugs (which was my first thought) and that he once in awhile takes a "sub" when he feels like he wants to do drugs. I've been researching what a "sub" is and it's a drug called suboxone which is used the in the treatment of addicts to get them off of opiates.

To my knowledge, he has never been "addicted" to opiates, i know when he was younger he would pop the occasional pain pill, he did cocaine for a little while and maybe some occasional marijuana smoking.

I'm wondering (maybe from people that have abused suboxone--- why they did it and what effects it had on them) why would someone who isnt an addict use "subs"? He does not get them with a prescription, he gets them illegally from friends etc...

He also never sleeps, he can stay up 24 hours and still go to bed at 11 pm the next night. He's lost a significant amount of weight in the past few months, he eats candy like crazy.

Also he goes from having tons of money to being broke. The other day he asked me for $160.00 and it was gone the next day and he asked me for twenty more dollars. When i asked where all his money went he said on gas (which he just drives a little car) and lunch (which obviously doesnt add up unless he went to Ruths Chris) ... It just all doesnt add up.

Also today i found a little orange zip lock bag in his shaving kit. like tiny little bag.

What does this all sound like to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again Clueless,

I'm sorry your husband has put you in this position. Some people who are not prescribed suboxone can get high off it. Also, you mentioned "adds". That would probably be Adderall - it's an amphetamine. And since you said he's not sleeping that would be the Adderall that's doing that to him. He might even be taking both - to go "UP" at times then back "DOWN". I'm sorry to say but it's my opinion that there's a big problem. Especially if he's really going through alot of money. Again, I'm so sorry this is going on. I would say you have every right and reason to be worried. Who knows what all he could be taking. It sounds like it's time for a sit-down and a long, honest conversation. I only hope that he comes clean with you.

I wish I could say something other than this to you, but that's how I see it. Hang in there, OK? And let us know how things turn out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you were in the chat room with us on Monday night when we talked a little bit about this. I even sent you a PM after we had moved onto another topic but I didn't get a response from you and then you later left the chat room. Anyhow, I'll say again here what I started to say to you.

To begin with, it is not at all common for people to abuse Suboxone for the intent of getting high. As HatMaker said, while it may provide a form of euphoria for someone who doesn't take opiates on a regular basis, even that is not like the type of high that comes from drugs like Oxycodone, Vicodin or Dilaudid. Many people who take Suboxone without a prescription are actually trying to "treat" their addiction to opiates. It sort of seems like your husband has somewhat admitted that is what he is doing. Now, understand, Suboxone is not designed to be a drug that you take when you have a craving or start to go into withdrawal. It is meant to be taken daily to help treat addiction to opiates.

It would just really surprise me if Suboxone were the only type of opiate that your husband was taking. That is just not a typical "casual use" drug. I would either guess that he is addicted to opiates and actively still taking them, or he is trying to use Suboxone to self-treat his addiction. Then add in weight loss, add in the money issues, add in staying up all night, and they all point to drug abuse. These are all some pretty common drug abuse symptoms. They also are not typical of taking a single pill a couple of times a week. Those are symptoms of chronic use - especially the weight loss.

I obviously can't advise you on how to deal with this, but it certainly seems like something needs to be done. You may want to consider getting a home drug test. You can get them from some drug stores and certainly over the Internet. All that is needed is a urine sample and the test will show whatever he has taken in the past couple of days. KEEP IN MIND that most tests will not show Suboxone. If you get one of the typical five or ten panel drug tests will likely will not show Suboxone. You can, however, find tests that do include Buprenorphine (the active opiate in Suboxone) but they may not include other drugs. Therefore you may need both. Either way, you can find them all over eBay for a couple of bucks. Now, how you go about demanding a urine sample from your husband for a drug test, I don't know. I'm just saying that this would be one way of knowing in no uncertain terms what is going on.

If nothing else, I would say to follow your instincts here. It really does seem like you are on the right track and are very correct about thinking that something is going on with your husband and drug use. I would be very surprised if he turned up negative. Then again, some are calling the abuse of prescription drugs an epidemic in America with millions of people (more than 10% in some surveys) admitting they have abused a prescription drug within the past year.

I hope that helps. Please let us know what you find out and by all means let us know if you have other questions or need more assistance.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with everything Hat said. I think you need to sit him down and you guys need to figure out a plan of action. Doesn't sound good. I agree that the *adds* are adderall. And that would explain why he stays up for a couple days at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clueless Wife,

You can pick up a drug test kit at Walgreens.. Demand he tests. I don't know what it will show, but it may say 'opiates' and 'amphetamines'. Also, Suboxone may not show up on that test.

I agree that it sort of sounds like Adderal. But, myself when I had no tolerance and taking an opiate would actually keep me awake.

*EDIT*

Also, could be methamphetamine. The candy comment triggered that thought.
Jim

Last edited by jj01 on Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And if you are curious, the drug test kit is $29.95 at Walgreens:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Screening-Tests/At-Home-Drug-Test-6/ID=prod368689&navCount=0&navAction=push-product