It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hate that this has I happened I think any ways. My best friend has been on suboxone for just over 2years now and has 3 children I got a phone call of her crying today, she had said she as cleaning up and had her suboxone on the counter as she was cleaning up her top cupboarders never noticed anything then about 10 mins went into her daughter room that about 2 and a half years old (shes been on suboxone since her daughter was 3 months old) and find her suboxone package chewed up only one of the pocket things were punched threw, so she opened it and it was all powder, most of her pocket were she said that it looked just as full as the other ones but she worried about her girl. so I went over there a stayed with her and her daughter was normal ok and everything until about 3 hours later she puked once. then she fell asleep shortly after I'm staying with her right now and weve been checking out the girl every once in a while and shes responding and every her pupils and normal no puking except that once we figured if she may have possibly got 1m if that. she wondering if she should take the day off tomorrow and how long does effects last ?? we live a bit aways from a hospital and honestly I think she embrassed to bring her in. has this happened to anyne else??? please I need to give my friend some comfront!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

as of right now she ok. she sleeping no puking I checked her pupils there ok , her breathing fine, her heart beat it normal? should we worry. I'm worried but I cant imagine how my friend feels. do you think she just got a taste or enough to od or what ? its been 6 hours. and she just puked that once which was 3 hours after the package was found?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 pm 

Honestly ur friend should have taken her to the doctor, because nobody really knew how much this child took. If I'd saw my package chewed and my child vomited.... I would have went to the er. 1mg of suboxone, especially to a child with zero opiate tolerance, that's extremely scary! And it could have had dire consequences.

What's done is done though and the child is obviously ok. So I'm assuming that this little one didn't get 1mg but maybe a taste (which is still very scary). So if she's ok now then she's ok, crisis over, since this happened yesterday. Hopefully our Dr Junig or docm2 will see ur thread. Sorry I didn't see this yesterday, I just now got bk onto the forum again.

I'm sure ur friend was scared out of her mind. Hopefully there won't be a next time but if for some off the wall reason there is, and for anyone else reading this, always take ur child to the er immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry Hardee94 you didn't get a timely response but I had already shut down for the night when you posted. I would have advised calling poison control and I'm sure they would have advised either calling 911 or take her to the ER immediately.
Suboxone has very few deaths associated with it, unfortunately, toddlers are among that group as JJ pointed out.
Hope others see your thread and resolve to keep their films or tabs secure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As others have suggested, she should have been taken to the ER. I once lost track of a little sliver and was worried sick one of our dogs had licked it up. Fortunately I finally found it. Doc isn't saying bring the child in now, so I assume she's out of the woods. And Jenn's probably right too. But for what it's worth I still would take her in. Stuff has a long half life...which is to say it takes days to leave the body completely. It just seems backward to me to wait until she's sick and then take her in.

So to sum up. I'm probably wrong, but I wouldn't care. I wouldn't gamble with a little girl's life.

I just wouldn't not do anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, absolutely-- any child exposed to Suboxone should go to the ER. In adults, the ceiling on the effect almost always protects against death, unless a second respiratory depressant is taken. But in small children, there are differences that could lead to death. First, their smaller size magnifies the dose (makes even a very small dose more important). The head is larger in relation to the body, so when small children lay flat the neck is flexed forward, which can cause obstruction. Small children have less respiratory 'dead space'-- areas of the lung where air sits in adults and provides an extra reservoir of oxygen-- so when kids stop breathing, the oxygen level drops much more quickly.

I get the decision that people face. If a child ingests buprenorphine there will be greater consequences than embarassment. CPS will almost surely be involved, and if they are not convinced that it could never happen again, the child will be removed from the house, until they ARE convinced.

But if nothing is done and the child is harmed, you are looking at prison time. This is very serious stuff-- so from now on, the child should never be even close to buprenorphine-- or any medication for that matter.

Recently there was a case in Milwaukee where parents were giving pieces of pain pills to their children to 'chill them out'. Their 3-y-o son died, and the parents are facing murder charges. I realize this post described accidental exposure, but for reckless homicide an act doesn't need to be intentional-- only reckless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

We did end up bring her, even through she was doing find I sugeested to get her checked. the ER doctor said she was showing no signs of overdose and when my friend showed him the package and what was in it he said she probably just got a taste. he mentioned the vomit was probably from her just having the flu a few days ago everything was fine. also I took my friend to the store a she bought a lock box for her prescription. she has judged people in the past for things happening like this but now I think from her experience she realizes it can happen to anyone and how fast it can happen. thanx people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

honestly I totally understand where yous are coming from. see we like a small sorta remote community, she has no vehicle and 2 others kids. I'm not sure if she can bring her other kids in an ambulance and she don't have people to babysit besides me of course. it took awhile because I ahd to wait until my parent got home to borrow there vehicle and then drove 2 hours to the er. I know it hard. quite a few years agos we had someone die because it took to long for the ambulance to get here, doctors said he may have made it if he was treated for what happen right away about after an hour no chance. soo that's one big downside of were we live. once when I was pregnant I was suppose to go stay in the city 2 weeks before due date well she came 3 weeks early and I walked around for 2 and half hours trying to find a ride to the hospital which is 2 hours away in labour. soo ya I kinda understand her wondering to go or not knowing all/most of the sub was there. but don't get me wrong she was worried and hell and crying and everything. I'm sure that if the pack was right open and even a quarter was gone she would have called 911. she sat on the computer talking to suboxone people that this has actually happened too reading studies and everything soo just don't and think my friend is a bad mother please. when she first went on the program she was in a group with a women who had a child od on suboxone which made the woman quit nd go back to pills. I just don't want people to be to hard on her about this because this can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:45 pm 

Hardee u don't have to worry about judgement here.

This forum is pretty anonymous, we have no idea who ur friend is or where ur from. We have no idea what state u even live in..... get what I'm saying? So no worries about if we think she's a bad mother or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
but don't get me wrong she was worried and hell and crying and everything.

What Jenn said. No one's judging. And I hope my particular post didn't sound that way. I understand all the stuff concerning social services, which is not nothing. Also a 2 hour trip into the hospital when you're not at all sure it's necessary is a big thing too.

Very glad it turned out alright. And very glad you posted. As docm2 pointed out, it's a lesson to us all. I'm a very disorganized person...absent minded professor type, except without the brains :D ....and as I mentioned I've already had a close call. I need to tighten things up before I end up killing a dog, or worse. We have grandkids staying over from time to time. The very thought is literally nauseating...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ya i know, this makes me realize it can happen to anyone even myself. like i said before my friend use to kinda judge people that this has happened too and wonder how the hell it could happen but now i think shes not going to be like experiencing even that little scare, even tho her girl didn't get enough to qverdose or anything it just goes to show how fast some thing like that can happen like cleaning up ur top cupboard takes what 5mins if that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 pm 

It's great that it all turned out okay. When I first read the post I got very angry at your friend for being so irresponsible. To me, it was like leaving a loaded gun on the counter. But you're right, these things happen and now maybe it will do some greater good where she will tell others to be more vigilant. We are all human and make mistakes.

When my doctor first gave me my prescription for Suboxone, he went over a long list of things I was required to do and know about the safe keeping of my medication. Even today, years later, it is stored hidden away on a top shelf out of reach of children. And we rarely have any kids over. When we do, I take the medication and put it up in the attic sealed in another box.

To answer another question. Her pupils would have been pinpoints, not dilated, if she had some in her system. One more bit of information for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Been there with my daughter. Except it wasn't a small amount...she took nearly a quarter of 8mg film of sub the first time...which wasn't horrible on her..mostly just made her sleep...

But then she got ahold of 6mg or so...
That was a trip to ER, then a 3-day span in ICU.
And the biggest concern of the doctor was 1) respiratory distress and 2) using the bathroom...
In that order.

Since that happened, I've made DAMN sure that it's never happened again. I was careless and shouldn't have been..but it happens.

Doesn't stop it from being scary as hell..and quite the reason to use a safe.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Adam, I totally understand where your coming from my friend always kept it on the every top of her counter where kids cant reach it, the way our pharm does it is just gives us the box. good thing for the packaging or it may have been worse. I'm so glad you commented on here my made me feel like it hasn't only happened to her. people don't realize how fast is can happen and its not like any parent would watch there kid take it obviously its all done on accident. I think in her case her daughter was trying to open it thinking maybe it was candy because the whole entire pack was chewed up but only on was punched through and not a very big hole but its a scare and lesson. anything can happen to anyone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:51 am 

Hardee, I know this was a simple mistake but the previous poster's name is Jonathan. Adam is his younger brother who died of an overdose in 2013. I know that Jonathan probably wouldn't even mention it, but I just thought I'd let you know.. Especially if you stick around our forum and we get to know you better. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No judgment here. When our daughter was a toddler she took a bunch of Flintstone Chewables. Because of the iron we called Poison Control, gave her Ipecac, then ER for a few hours of observation. They put everything in their mouths. Country living offers lots of interesting things to taste.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

docm2 wrote:
No judgment here. When our daughter was a toddler she took a bunch of Flintstone Chewables. Because of the iron we called Poison Control, gave her Ipecac, then ER for a few hours of observation. They put everything in their mouths. Country living offers lots of interesting things to taste.

When I was a kid several millennia ago, they had something called aspergum. Clever name for a clever product...aspirin in a chewable gum form that children...what a surprise loved. Including me.

I don't know how I didn't overdose on the stuff. Years later I took a bunch of darvon...another product from the Fred FLintsone era which had opiate properties. Not sure if it actually was one. Anyway there was aspiring mixed in with it ....and of course I took too much. The ringing in my ears and headache was godawful. Looking back, it could have been much worse.

P.S. Out of curiosity I looked it and someone bought the brand and plans on brining it back. If you buy it, I suggest putting it in a locked safe, preferably hidden in the attic somewhere...if you have kids.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thnax for pointing that out, Jonathon I am sorry <3, I miss read yur signature. I'm new to this forum I too have a close family member overdose.