It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Several months back when I decided to get off pain meds and onto suboxone, I don't think I really understood what I was getting in to. I thought subs was just a med to help me treat symptoms of W/D. I didn't know that it was a type of replacement therapy.

All the same, I don't regret my decision.

The problem is, I think my approach has been all wrong. Rather than getting to a stable dose above the ceiling, I was hell bent on getting off. I thought I would be detoxed in a matter of days, not months or years.

At some point in my taper, I got down to 1 mg, and there I've been. Ups and downs, mood swings, energy ebb and flow. I feel like I'm in a rut. Both in recovery and in life.

Some times I feel I should go back up above the ceiling. But then I feel so close to the end -- all that work from 8 to 4 to 4 to 2 to 1....

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer about which way to go. I just wonder if anyone else has ever felt trapped like this.

Thanks, folks. I really feel for all you guys who are here trying to make a better life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I totally understand how you feel. I was like that the first time I got on Suboxone. the whole time I was taking it, I thought that it was just to keep withdraws at bay. I was always thinking that I did not want to be on medication the rest of my life. So , I made the decision to jump at 1mg. I stayed off Suboxone for 18months.

During that time I realized that I was extremely depressed and undiagnosed. I got on an anti-depressant. After I was stable, I was no longer depressed but I had horrible mental cravings for opiates. I knew that I was always going to have these cravings so I decided to get back on Suboxone for a 2nd time. This time I chose to use it to treat addiction as a disease and take a medication to treat the disease.

Just like I take my antidepressant every day, I also take Suboxone every day to treat my addiction to opiates. I guess I look at it differently now.

My advice would be to stay on it if it helps treat your addiction to opiates. Those feelings do not go away. Good luck in your decision!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, raudy1975. I think I know what you mean about those cravings. That's my biggest fear about getting off -- not so much W/D, but the PAWS. I'm coming around to the idea that maybe I should be on maintenance with the subs until I have made some really solid personal growth. I think I need to talk to my subs doc about maybe increasing my dose. It seems so counter intuitive that MORE of the drug will make me more stable.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi melneri,

When I got on Suboxone, I was under the impression that it just kept opiate wd symptoms down, too. Now I see that you and Raudy and I were all under the same false impression.

I agree with most of what Raudy said, except where she said, "those feelings don't go away" in reference to cravings. (I think?).

I've been off Suboxone for just under 3 years now and I can assure you, the cravings do subside significantly and what cravings I do have I've learned to manage. When I first got off Suboxone, not using drugs was alien to me. NA says that an addict not using drugs is in an unnatural state, and for the first year or two, this was true of me. But somewhere late in the second year, I began doing more recovery work and believe it or not, it now feels normal for me to NOT use drugs. (Never thought I'd be able to say that!! :D )

I'm not trying to disagree with Raudy, she has very valid points. I'm just giving you another point of view.

You have to do what you consider to be best for your recovery......and whatever you decide, we'll support you.