It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've been on 8mg a day for about 2 years or so, and the medication is still doing what it did for me on day one...make me feel normal. I remember when I first found this forum via google, and also a couple anti sub forums. I wanted to find out what I was getting into, and so many people were both for, and against suboxone. 4 or 5 rehabs in between 15 years of abuse, I was one of those chronic relapsers who just couldn't stay away from whatever was available, all though I thank God that I really never drank, because I personally feel like alcoholics also have a major challenge in the fact that their DOC is completely legal. Not sure why I've been thinking about alcoholics lately, but man think of all the stuff some of us went through to get our drugs, and all an alcoholic has to do is walk into a grocery store. If I could've walked into any corner store and bought pills at any time, I probably wouldn't be alive today. I guess I just feel more compassion and understanding of how hard it is for an alcoholic to stay sober. Just something to think about...anyway, I usually look at this forum at least once a day while at work, and recently there were some posts about some articles written on the web, so obviously I went to the links and read through those, and the comments. This prompted me to google "positive articles on bupe", and "negative articles on bupe". I found some good reading material, and also like when I first found this forum, there is still a TON of negative vibes/stories/whatever you want to call it in the recovery community about bupe. Seems like more negative than positive.

So my point is this, to those people who are trying to decide if they should be on subs, or if they should stop/taper/whatever, do the research for yourself, and make the decision for yourself. I've only been able to put together a couple years of "normalcy" thanks to being on suboxone, and the counseling I received. I have a steady job, a car, and even a couple credit cards again (which I use sparingly, and make payments on regularly). I don't have anyone pressuring me to taper, or get off my meds, because the people I'm close to see the change has "stuck". I do not feel high, I just feel like myself, able to work, take my kids to their ball games, go to the movies, play games, and just enjoy life. I was worried that there would be a "honeymoon phase" like some people have claimed, but after a couple years, I don't believe in that...bupe like any medication doesn't work for everyone, but for those who are truly committed to change, and get counseling to work on their issues, and take the medication as directed (something most of us struggled with in the first place), there is hope for a future.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, and be persistent, but polite when obstacles come your way. Today IS a wonderful day because I am sober, and I don't live like I used to. Recovery isn't easy, and there are multiple ways to get there. Think about your life, what you need to get moving toward a future for yourself, don't shut out suboxone as a chance for your life, just because someone else says that it's not the right way to recover. I honestly don't care how you stay drug free, I only care that you are not using, and not hurting anyone else in society. God bless you all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:26 pm 

Awesome post Todd! I agree completely with u and I see suboxone and how it's positively changed my life for the better in ways that it has for u too.

I've also been a chronic relapser before sub. In and out of detox's and rehab. I was so desperate to get better and I really did try everything before suboxone to stay in recovery. I can definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that sub is the only thing that's worked for me. I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks about my choice in recovery because I know what sub is and how it works. It bothers me though, to hear it talked about so negatively, it makes me want to just shake these ppl and make them see what I see. Unfortunately I can't make anyone see what I see, but I'm very glad that I have this forum and to know I'm not the only person out there that has my views on it also. It's a blessing.

I also agree about alcoholics having their doc right at their fingertips, it has to be difficult. I remember in rehab, we'd take this van bk and forth to meetings across town and there was this liquor store on the corner, all the ppl who were alcoholics had a hard time passing it. I thought....man if it were that easy to just walk into a store for me, I would've already been gone by now. I understand what u mean.

Great post Todd, thanks :)

Have a great evening everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree, great post! As someone who is proof suboxone works (over 6 years since a drink, longer for pills and 16 months off sub now), It breaks my heart to hear people especially in various support groups just writing sub off as "trading one thing for another" etc.. I sometimes wonder how many hopeless addicts they send back out to continue using after they say "come back when you're serious about getting sober". I wonder how many people they have killed this way when they equate suboxone to actually using. Sub gave me many years of not chasing drugs to get my life together and as a bonus was fairly easy to taper off after I felt ready (but I would have stayed on with no shame if needed be). It really will work for you if you're serious about it.

I am also an alcoholic and yes it can be hard when not only is it available at stores but many of our family, friends and acquaintances can have it around you with no ill consiquences for them. That's why we all need some kind of support system, plan of action, spiritual awakening or whatever the heck works. It gets easier if you don't just depend on yourself and white knuckling though it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Todd,

Wow! Really great post!! And jenn jenn and glen bee as well and as usual!! Thank you all!!

This reminds me of a recent poster - first post and bup hater - gave all dire outcomes. I wish I'd had the nerve to pirate donh's comment from another thread that I love and have since pirated many times in real life and say to this poster - It asks, were you born breech or do you always introduce yourself ass backwards? donh said it far better...

I would not even be here writing and enjoying my life now had it not been for bup, and I've been off it a while now and still so grateful for it. W my history of prior detoxs and rehabs, it sadly took me a long time to find it. **** head shaking**** But, if I feel the need to abuse, in a nanosecond, I’ll restart bup, no question. I will stay clean. I am in recovery bc of it and it’s there if I need it again. I do not want to ever experience active addiction again -- and the good news is, I do not have to!

Anyway, yes, however someone gets and stays clean and doesn't hurt anyone, is great w me too. :D

Nice post Todd, thank you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thank you Todd for this post! I am fairly new to subs and it's working great. With that said...I have this fear that it's gonna stop working. That I am gonna take my medicine and it all the sudden won't work. Lol. I know I should be concentrating on recovery and all that goes with it but I have had an overwhelming fear of this the past week. So reading your post this morning has given me hope that it will continue to work like it is. So I just wanted to thank you and the others that have been on this for an extended period of time for sharing you stories and giving us new comers hope!

Willow