It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: they took my baby
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I had my beautify baby boy on Nov 18. I was on subutex. His highest score was a 10. Mainly he would score a 3. He was never sent to children's hospital to have morphine. The doctors and nurses said that there wasn't anything wrong with him.... And there is not.
The next day after bringing him home the DCS lady take him for me having bupe in my state as well as percocet cause of my c section. My husband failed for weed. So she took him and placed him in my mother in laws care. But I also have 2 other children involved that they placed with my mom.

This DCS lady is really sticking out to me. She even went so far as to count the ibuprofen that they prescribed me at the hospital! She is telling my mom that she wants her to do full custody instead of temporary custody and telling my mother in law that she wants them to be foster parents instead of temporary custody.

I don't know why she is doing this. She is even going after the hospital for giving me percocet and me having a previous addiction.

I don't know who to turn to our what to do but they have took everything I love from me for prescriptions that I legally have, and my husband smoking weed. We are not bad people. I could understand if she walked in and the house was a mess, we were so high out of our head, and the baby want being took care of, but that's not the case! I was cleaning when she got here and my husband was cuddling with him feeding him!

Please help me, I've lost everything and don't know what to do.

Post subject: Re: they took my baby
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

First of all, **big hugs**. Please take a deep breath and know this is not happening because you are a bad person or because you're a bad mother. I know it feels like your world is falling apart at the moment but you need to stay strong... stronger now than ever before, okay?

From what I gather, you were on Subutex throughout your pregnancy, honest with your doctors, your child was born healthy, watched for signs of withdrawal and then released to you? You had a C-section and were prescribed Percocet for recovery. I'm assuming the prescribing doctor knew you were on Subutex since it appears your child was monitored. A few questions - Were you taking the Percocet as prescribed? Was the Subutex also legally prescribed? If yes, what was her reasoning for removing the child from the home? There are many necessary reasons why I a recovering addict might need an opiate painkillers (see the Surgery on Suboxone forum for more information

While it may not seem like it at the moment, DFYS does NOT want to remove children from their homes unless absolutely necessary. Some social workers sure don't act that way but I believe in most cases, it's the judge's decision. I always hate the "it could be worse" comments but at least your children are still with family.

When I was pregnant with my son, my addiction was just beginning. I had been prescribed codeine throughout my last 2 trimesters to manage horrible migraines. While my son did not suffer any withdrawals, someone had still called CPS on me. She came to my house the day after I brought my son home and had had zero sleep. To top it off, I was in my PJ's and my breasts started leaking during out talk... it was mortifying. They also advised me that they would be sending my placenta for analysis that would show any drug use the last 3 months. The results came back negative and since nothing illegal was occurring, I only had to submit random drug tests for 3 months before my case was closed. I also, had been prescribed Percocet for the episiotomy and simply needed to bring my prescriptions with me for them to document during those tests.

During my son's first year, my addiction spiraled out of control. When he was 18 months, I signed myself into rehab. Because I was a mother and because I had admitted to illegal drug use, they automatically called CPS. This woman wasn't nearly as understanding and it really felt like she was out to get me. I had to keep telling myself, "They are looking out for the best interest of my child." They advised me that I could not take my son after rehab and that he would have to stay with his father. They tried to convince him to seek temporary custody through the courts but he insisted that a verbal agreement was sufficient but would go to the courts if I didn't cooperate. I enrolled into an IOP program and they kept close contact with my counselor and I did everything by the book. If I wanted to take my son for the weekend, my ex would call and make sure it was okay. After 90 days, he was returned to me. While it was by far the worst thing I have ever had to go through, it only made me stronger in the end.

My best advice to you is to be polite, humble and to cooperate. If you have had a slip, it's not the end of the world. You have a complicated disease. But you also need to want to get better and you need to show them that. Get into a program immediately. If you've haven't used outside of the Subutex and Perocet, ask DYFS if there are any programs they'd recommend to continue to keep you on the right track.

If you need someone to talk to or need any advice, feel free to message me. Having to deal with child protective services is awful in itself but adding the post partum hormonal craziness can only make it feel worse. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really feel for you-- and I am having a problem understanding what happened. You are saying that you were legally prescribed buprenorphine, and you were legally given percocet for pain after a c-section, and for THOSE reasons they placed your baby with grandma?

I know I'm repeating NYJets here... but if that is truly the case, something is very twisted. Where is your doc with all this? I believe that doctors have a duty to advocate for patients who are doing things right-- and even for patients who aren't doing things 'perfectly', but making a valid effort.

I would not be able to say things better than what NYJets already wrote-- but keep in touch with us here.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Randaroo I'm so sorry this has happened! First of all, u said u had valid scripts for the medication that u were taking right? If so, other than the weed that was found in the fathers system, what exactly did she say to u as to why they removed ur children? If ur home also checked out ok, then I don't understand this. Regardless though this has happened, so now u have to follow everything they ask of u in order to get them bk. Follow everything to a T and don't rock the boat, show them how devoted u are to getting ur children bk. Get ur sub Dr involved like Dr J suggested and ur OB. Getting them bk and showing that judge that ur 100% committed is the main thing right now. Also as someone else said, at least the kids are with family thank God. That's gotta be some comfort just knowing that at least. Have u appeared in front of the judge yet?

I have been through custody issues with my children and it's awful and unfortunately a lot of addicted mothers have had to deal with child services at one point or another during active addiction. Those of us who have had this happen just had to do whatever they asked and fight like hell to get them bk. I didn't become addicted until my youngest son was a yr or two old, so I don't know what it's like dealing with this as soon as ur baby is born and I can only imagine how much more horrible that makes it. But what I can tell u is that if u follow their rules, no matter how unfair they are or seem, in the end there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

One of our moderators, Michelle, is a social worker and I'm sure she can give u advice from that prospective, she'll probably be along soon. Until u can get this all straightened out just try ur best to be strong and stay with ur sub because I'm sure this stress is a huge trigger for u right now and the last thing u need is a relapse in the middle of all this. Again, I'm so sorry ur having to go through this and I hope and pray u get ur children bk soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That is horrible! I have had two children while on buprenorphine (prescribed by a Doctor to me). They did drug test my children's pee and I'm fairly sure the meconium (first tarry poo) to make sure no other drugs were found (they werent, just bupe). Neither child needed to go to the NICU for morphine replacement. I did have a social worker come and offer me resources if I needed them but I didn't, so I politely declined. They never tested my husband's pee and he was there both times, the whole time. DCS was never in the picture. I am just wondering if there is more to this story and I don't mean to offend and I do understand I was lucky to have understanding OBs, nurses, etc but if you had a valid script for bupe that should be able to be verified by your Doctor. I would contact some sort of attorney if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a very scary story. The thing is, it's also now been over two weeks without an update. It's sadly the nature of the Internet for people to come and go. We've also had people post fabricated stories here in the past as well. Not at all saying that is the case here but we do know there has not been an update since the OP. Hopefully she will return to provide more details and let everyone know what has happened since.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:08 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm guessing she came here out of panic. Maybe she just needed to get her frustration out. I really hope that everything is okay.

Starryl - Before I got pregnant with my son, I had been clean from the mild addiction of prescription pills. I say mild because I suffered no withdrawals when I realized the percocets for my migraines were becoming for more than just my migraines. During my second and third trimester, I was prescribed Tylenol with codeine for when my migraines got bad. I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't abuse them by taking more than prescribed but it was always prescribed by my OBGYN and I never used anything else. To this day, I have no idea why the drug tested my son when he was born, especially as I still had my prescription AND they had given me a narcotic during labor, 24 hours before he was born (perhaps it takes longer to show in his urine). It's the only reason they gave me for calling CPS. Like I had mentioned in my previous post, I had been hospitalized overnight in the beginning of my 3rd trimester due to my gallbladder and given pain meds then too so I can only assume they were looking for additional drugs? Or perhaps the placenta testing could have told the difference between what had been prescribed and given in the hospital versus say heroin?

My girlfriend has a similar story to you. She was on Suboxone and clean when she became pregnant. Her doc put her on Subutex and was very supportive. Her son experienced no affects or withdrawals and went home with her 2 days after giving birth. CPS also did home visits and 1 or 2 urine screens in the first 30 days but that was it. Neither my son's father or hers were ever drug tested so I agree we are missing part of the story. Even so, I hope she took the advice given here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm so sorry this happened to you. All your prescription are from you're doc call a lawyer!!