It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My husband went to the doc and he was told the 8mg tablets are not going to be made anymore... Then we found this online

Reckitt-Benckiser to Stop Manufacturing Suboxone Tablets
Posted September 30, 2012 by janaburson in Buprenorphine, Suboxone film. Tagged: Suboxone tablets pulled from market, the end of suboxone tablets.

This week, officials of Reckitt-Benckiser, the pharmaceutical company that manufactures Suboxone and Subutex, announced its plan to stop manufacturing Suboxone tablets. The drug company says the tablets will be phased out over the next six months. According to their press releases, the company decided to discontinue manufacture of Suboxone tablets, “Because of strong evidence that the tablet form of Suboxone is linked to significantly higher rates of pediatric exposure as compared with…the film.”
Reckitt Benckiser says they are basing their action on data from the Poison Control center from September that showed there were around 8 times as many accidental Suboxone exposures in children with tablets versus films. They say they are taking action in the interest of public health.
The drug company says that since the films and tablets are clinically interchangeable, patients presently taking tablets won’t be adversely affected.
In the most recent issue of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Weekly, a spokesman for the company said per 10,000 Suboxone patients, there were .71 pediatric exposures to the film and 6.25 pediatric exposures to the tablets. These numbers were statistically significant. (1)
I believe their data. It makes sense that children would have a harder time opening one of those foil packets of Suboxone film than opening a prescription bottle of tablets. Plus, with a bottle there’s more than one dose available for ingestion, while one packet yields only one potential dose. The tablets also have an orange-y smell and taste, and may be more appealing to young children than other types of pills.
I also think Reckitt Benckiser’s film is a better product than their tablet. Most of my patients do prefer the film, saying it dissolves faster and tastes better.
However…maybe I’m too cynical when it comes to drug companies, but I don’t believe pediatric exposure is the only reason the drug company is ceasing manufacture of the tablets. I think it’s also a financial decision. The film’s patent doesn’t expire for more than ten more years, while the tablet’s patent has already expired. The Reckitt Benckiser rep for my area told me months ago that the company was considering taking the tablets off the market.
I think the recent data about pediatric overdose with tablets gave RB a great excuse to pull their tablets off the market, “For the kids…” The drug company would be open to criticism if they pulled the tablets for a purely financial motive, but who could criticize a drug company for trying to prevent the death of children? I do wonder how pediatric overdose rates of Suboxone tablets compares with other prescription opioids, but after scouring the internet can’t find that information.
I wondered how RB’s decision will affect my patients. I’m worried about a small number of my patients who, for whatever reason, didn’t like the films. These patients are all doing great in their recovery, and show no sign of medication diversion. They aren’t “bad” patients trying to scheme a way to misuse medications. Many of them have been in stable recovery, assisted by Suboxone tablets, for more than three years. All tried the film when it was released, and found it lacking. Some patients didn’t like how the films were crumbling, a problem that seems to have resolved over the last six months. I have about twenty-five people in my practice who prefer Suboxone tablets to films.
Today in my office practice I saw three patients of these patients. All of them, by the way, keep their medication locked up and safely away from children. I explained the situation to them, and told them I would like to switch them to the film, because the tablets were going to be phased out over the next six months. Two grudgingly said they would switch but wanted to wait until it was absolutely necessary. The third said he’s prefer to switch to the generic buprenorphine tablets, because he hated the film and didn’t feel like it worked nearly as well.
Overall I don’t like to prescribe generic buprenorphine in the office, because it has higher street value and is easier to misuse. Since the generic buprenorphine has no naloxone in it, it can be injected. I don’t usually prescribe it unless the patient has no insurance, is stable in their recovery with no recent IV drug use, and can’t afford name brand Suboxone. In my area, the generic buprenorphine tablets are less than half the cost of either Suboxone film or tablet. For some patients, being able to buy the cheaper generic has made it possible for them to afford to remain in treatment. Their other option would be to go to the methadone clinic, and many patients prefer treatment in an office setting, obviously.
My patient today has been in recovery for three years. He has a sponsor, goes to 12-step meetings several times per week, has never had a positive drug screen the whole three years, has a stable home, wife, kids, and also finds time to help his aging parents. I’m going to prescribe generic buprenorphine tablets for him.
This won’t be the right answer for all my patients. Some will have to try the Suboxone films again, and I hope that will work for them.
Because of this pediatric overdose information I’m going to ask every patient – on films or tablets – how they store their medication, to make sure it’s safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Ur title to this is 110% inaccurate when compared to ur article. Suboxone isnt being discontinued. Only thing this means is their doing away with suboxone "tablets" and keeping suboxone films.

And now that i think about it, bc ur a new poster with no post history to judge ur intentions on, i'd say ur doing this just to scare people.

Did i call ur bullshit pretty close?

Last edited by dreamer420 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Edited due to misunderstanding

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No Dreamer.........this person is right on.and the doctor's are all being told the same thing "For the Kids". My first suboxone doctor was great and he worked with me because he was cash on visits and drug test even though I had great insurance. After 8 mos of zero bad drug screens he asked me if I would like to try subutex as it was cheaper. My insurance actually paid for suboxone for $60 for a month's supply but with the subutex it was only $5. WOW.............he really helped me out but he was more than just a 2 minute visit for a script he wanted to know about the meetings I was attending...how many a week..and we developed a relationship. This was my recovery so no BS this time. I went from 24 mgs down to 8mgs. Then I got transferred to Charlotte, NC.

At the time only 28 Doctor's prescribed suboxone or subutex. I finally found one and when I told him I was taking subutex he went off saying I was not in reovery and that my doctor was actually assisting me in my addiction. He was pretty hardcore and immediately switched me back to to suboxone. Things were fine for 2 yrs until I lost my job and my insurance. I never failed a drug test but now my vist was $165 and my script was about $240. Finally about 6 months ago this same doctor who I thought was a little cranky and mean at first said you are paying too much and I know this is a struggle for you. I would like to consider you a pain patient instead of someone addicted........It is true the reason I was abusing so much was due to several broken ribs, knee surgery, broken sternum, arm and elbow. This all happened in one accident and I started abusing them after that. He said I am going to switch you to a pain patient (one because he can now take on a new patient) and put you on subutex. I now pay $126 a month

A couple of months ago I went to my appointment and the mood was very somber. As I checked in I was handed a piece of paper that said my doctor had decided to retire effective immediately and that I would be seeing a new doctor. Of course I was very disappointed because I had developed a good relationship with my doctor and now I was going to have to establish a whole new one and was not sure how this doctor would react to me being on subutex.

I met with him and we talked and he said he did not plan on changing anything that my previous doctor was doing. I was relieved and then the nurse came in with my drug test results that said I tested positive for methadone.........WHAT????? I have never even tried methadone even in my using days that I am aware of..........I immediately told this man that did not know me from any one and said I do not understand I have never used methadone.........He looked at my file and said OK.....lets keep things the way they are and we will have to do some random test. I said no problem I will take another one now.........he said no that is not necessary and gave me the script.

I racked my brain...how could I fail a drug test after almost 4 yrs...............I waited everyday to prove that I was not taking methadone and waiting on that call. It never came........I went to my monthly visit and they gave me the cup.....Now I couldn't pee I was so stressed (Sure .....I could tell one of the nurses saying) Finally I was able after 4 bottles of water and 1 hour. The test was negative.....The doc said a rep came by and gave them some free samples to try their product out and that they got alot of false positives and went back to the one's they were using. He was so professional as he could have kicked me out per our contract but based on my history he gave me the benefit of doubt.......

I now do not stress my monthly visit with him (only they seem to come faster each month) and I hate paying the $165 I am just glad that RB were not able to control those that make the generic subutex.......I prefer the Roxanne brand and it really helps me . I feel no difference between the subutex and the suboxone but of course I don"t inject my medicine.

Another thing my doctor does is pill counts. If he does suspect someone may be abusing their subutex he will call them to come in for a pill count. His office called me once and I told them I was in Kentucky. They asked what city and I told them. They called me back in 15 minutes and said we want you to go to the CVS at such and such address and see Sandy the Pharmacist and she will count your pills. I said I would be there within the hour and went to the CVS in Danville, KY. She counted my pills and then told me to have a nice day......

This is recovery............I wish other doctor's were as open minded as mine is and obviously as you are..........

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Reraise, yea but all i took from this article was they are discontinuing the suboxone "tablets." And switching people to suboxone films. In fact, this very topic has already been discussed on the other recovery board im on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Reraise, also i read ur story and that would definitely have sucked to be in between doctors all the time.

BUT, was there something i missed in ur post? I thought u were about to explain how/why u thought the OP's post was true??

Personally, i dont believe Reckitt Benkiser is discontinuing suboxone all together. However i DO know reckitt benkiser is discontinuing the suboxone "tablet" form and only producing suboxone films. In fact, thats exactly what the article above describes. Only thing wrong with this thread is the title is inaccurate AND i believe the intent of the OP is extremely questionable considering they have no post history to judge there intent with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw this post on a pharma insiders forum of someone having a go at RB pharma reps for discontinuing Suboxone tablets. Thought it was appropriate:

Quote:
That's bullshit and you know it...

Firstly, can you explain to me how the fuck the film is "harder to divert"? I continually hear this argument... but anyone with half a brain knows it's no harder for a dealer on a street corner to swap a few films for a bunch of cash than a few tablets. If anything, their glossy slippery wrappers make the dealer's dodgy handshake even slicker. Plus there's the fact the film is easier to inject, something I'm sure you all forget to mention when you visit your clinics.

Also, if you cared at all about pediatric overdoses, why the fuck did you not put the tablets in blister packs all those years ago? Don't claim you didn't know about it, or consider it. Before Suboxone ... hell even Subutex came out in Australia (back in 1999-2000) the TGA over there made sure you sold it in blister packs there to prevent pediatric overdose. So you all very well fucking knew that you could have minimised the problem in the USA years ago. But you kept selling them in those bottles ... why? ... so you could spin the sale of your film even more? So you could make your discontinuation of the tablets appear oh-so-noble?

Knowing that, do you yet realise how your scum-of-the-earth company has been responsible for every pediatric overdose in the USA since you started selling those tablets in bottles? All you had to do was sell them in blister packs from the very beginning.

As if you give one shit "about the children".

==============================
"We did look at the US suboxone tablets going into the new child-resistent blister packaging technology, but with the formulation of suboxone in the US we have not been able to develop a robust enough solution on which to submit a change. Even if we resolved these technical issues today, we would still have to go through the validation and regulatory registration change approvals process, which could take a minimum of another 9-12 months. "We were not prepared to wait on something yet unproven to implement the needed safety initiative."
===============================

Yet unproven? Not able to develop a robust enough solution? You've been putting it in blister packs in other countries for over a decade... How brazen can you get with your lies?

This is Reckitt putting their profits before those they're meant to treat. As long as you all have your monopoly and your jobs, you can keep charging your prices that are well outside the means of most recovering addicts who are trying to live on the straight-and-narrow. I've heard you claim "oh but they spent $X dollars on Oxy and heroin"... do you really expect your customers to do break and enters to pay for their Suboxone? These are people who are trying to live better lives, who've spent years and years in the black hole of addiction and who've come out with little education and work experience. Do you really expect them to be able to afford your inflated prices? Many addicts have been hoping for a generic alternative for so fucking long.

I know you're a for-profit company, but even in those books this maneuver is bordering on psychopathic, hence why Bloomberg (a business paper who reports on FOR-PROFIT enterprise) is even shocked. Even by big-pharma's ethical standards this is pretty fucking low. There is no other pharma board on this site that gets as many shocked and disappointed customers voicing their anger than the RB board. You're trying to defend the indefensible.

Post subject: Do what?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know about the tablets issue. Most do here on this forum.

I went to my doctor this week and nothing was said, and same prx. Strips.

Too much money is being made by RB to stop making the suboxone sl strips IMO.

Before I made this post, I searched for any news from RB about this, as it pertains to the strips, I didn't find anything on their website.

don't worry about it.........

Synonyms:

UM-952;Lepetan;rx6029m;Subutex;Temgesi;Buprenex;NIH-8805;Temgesic;CL-112302;Buprenorfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey Teejay, thanks for that read!! That guy/girl that wrote that really drove the nails in the coffin!! I REALLY liked where he/she says, "do u really expect your customers to do break and enters to pay for there suboxone?" That is such a great argument!! He/shrme really let them ha e it and i give a two thumbs up for the whole post.

Again, thanks for that!!

Anyways, as i was saying, this article posted by the OP only means that Reckitt Benkiser is discontinuing suboxone "tablets." It does NOT mean theyre stopping the production of suboxone all together. And i would say, the only thing inaccurate about this thread is the title.

Post subject: I'm SUPER SORRY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ahhh lol I'm trying to change the title I'm on my iPad so I cannot edit anything? I might just be missing the option BUT I'm sorry about the title I meant to write "They are stopping production of suboxone tablets" lol while I was writing it I was also listening to my husband talk about the topic and I was getting my son ready for school.. Again, MY BAD on the title

WONDERFUL!!! You are only allowed to edit your post within the first 120 minutes of posting it:/

My MAIN issue with the tablets not being produced anymore is my hubby is allergic to the strips idk why but the strips fill his mouth with blisters wth? We have tried Cutting the strips smaller, cleaning out his mouth before/after use.. But nope still gets blisters anyway the are not going to be producing the TABLETS or (idk if you're familer with the) purple gel squares. The only sub option will be strips and that sucks. It also peeves me off that the don't want ANYONE to make a generic. That's very unfair stupid RB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:12 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

And there u have it, a reasonable explanation for the mistake. It makes much more sense now. Thanks for clearin that up A2T