It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As I saw someone else post, I fall in the trap of just one more pill today and tomorrow I will cut back.

My goal today was to go down to a single dose of Subs. History shows that I will take a second dose so for me I am going to plan it that way. I was going to take 6mg at once, so I will have 4mg this morning, and 2mg this afternoon if I can't go all day without it. As I cut back, I will lower my afternoon dose until it is gone, and I am at just 4mg in the mornings. This is also part of my learning to be content with myself. Wish me luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi lamerjay...I do wish you the best on your plan. I'm not perfectly clear, are you tapering in order to get down to once daily dosing only, or is your plan to taper off altogether? I think lowering your afternoon dose over time is a good plan and will help you to get to once daily dosing. Are you taking sub for addiction only or also for pain? As you probably know, once daily dosing is sufficient for addiction purposes only, but for many of us taking it also for pain, multiple dosing per day is acceptable.

Good luck, hang in there, and please update us on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 am 
Hi lamerjay! I feel you on that post! I've done very similar in terms of telling myself this or that....just one more day this way....tomorrow I'll decrease my dose again......on and on. You're not alone. We set goals for ourselves that sometimes just aren't realistic. We know ourselves. We know before we even set out that it's not going to work quite the way we tell ourselves it will or how we'd like it to. Yeah, yeah.....tomorrow!
Your goal of getting yourself to once a day dosing is a good one. I've read where you've talked about it on another thread, I think. But you know, don't give yourself too hard a time. Remember what the most important thing is here.....you're staying off the 'bad' drugs, right?! You're not on an unreasonable dose at all and I'm assuming you're following your doctor's recommendations and doing other things for your recovery, so don't beat yourself up. What I have learned along my way on Suboxone (now at 13 months) is that although I have not followed a strict tapering plan, I have still managed to gradually lower my dose and most of the time dose only once per day. This is a process that takes time and it seems that the dosing issue can vary quite a bit from one person to the next, so try not to compare yourself to others or set yourself up to accomplish some 'dosing goal' just because. If breaking the pattern of multiple dosing per day is an important part of what you feel you need for your recovery to help you progress, then by all means, keep working on it. And for most of us, it is an important factor to break that cycle of dosing when we want to feel differently (to get a boost to finish the day or whatever it may be.) But, that's not the case for everyone all the time. There are plenty of doctors out there who prescribe multiple dosing and those with pain issues find they are way better off with multiple dosing. I guess all I'm saying is that while I completely agree with the premise behind Dr. Junig's recommendation of once/day dosing, it doesn't apply for everyone all the time. I do think that what you've decided to try is a great idea though......just keep making that second dose smaller and smaller and eventually it will go away. As I said, I've kinda played my taper by ear and have managed to get down to ~1mg/day. It took a while to get there and I've been here for a long time now. By some people's standards, probably too long.....but we all have to work with our doctors to figure out what will work for us. And, honestly just like you have, I've been telling myself "tomorrow or next week" for a while. Ironically, when I saw and read your post was when I just about to go and post on my own tapering thread about my latest plan to move forward with my taper.....tomorrow!!! lol!!
Now that I've puttered around here and read a lot and posted a little bit, I've run out of time to do what I had planned to do on my thread!! How funny is that?! I've got a plan though. I'll post it probably.....tomorrow!!
Take care and keep us updated!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Double Dosing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am Subs for addiction only. My doctor put me on two doses a day from the start. I had no idea it lasted 24 hours. Other than the induction, I don't think my Doc has a clue about Subs. She is what I'd call an enabler. She just gives me whatever amount of Subs I want. My goal it two go to one dose a day and then get off completely...

Post subject: Re: Double Dosing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

lamerjay wrote:
My goal it two go to one dose a day and then get off completely...

Ok good.Just remember this.

Do not jump off at a high dose! You need to get down to an extremely low dose to avoid terrible withdrawal and paws later.
Also don't be in a rush do get down real low before you do jump.