It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anyone know of a different medication that can be used that works like suboxone? Also can anyone tell me how long it would take to get off completely? Im currently taking 20mg a day, sometimes 16 and I need to get off, or on something different, as quickly as possible. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone and Subutex are both buprenorphine. The only other opiate replacement medication is methadone. I'm not sure what you mean by another medication that works like suboxone. If you've been on sub/bupe for awhile and you're at 16+ mg, then you need to give yourself time to taper down slowly. You will have withdrawals; the faster you taper the more severe they will be. Maybe you could give us some additional details.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:57 pm 
Why would you want to get off suboxone if you are looking for a medication that "works just like suboxone"? Just stay on suboxone then.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking this for about 16 months now. Im looking for something that doesnt contain the bupe and something more common than suboxone because of overseas army issues. My husband is in the army and is stationed in italy. I had to apply for a sponsership with the army so that I can move over there to be with him. I dont think they know what suboxone is and they do not have doctors for it so I was denied. And from what I understand they dont have a detox center in vicenza. I dont know why I would need a detox center but thats what I was told. I have the option of getting off it completely but I would have to do it within the next 2 months, and I dont know if its possible to taper off that quickly with the amount that I am taking. Im just at a loss of what to do now. any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cam wrote:
I have been taking this for about 16 months now. Im looking for something that doesnt contain the bupe and something more common than suboxone because of overseas army issues. My husband is in the army and is stationed in italy. I had to apply for a sponsership with the army so that I can move over there to be with him. I dont think they know what suboxone is and they do not have doctors for it so I was denied. And from what I understand they dont have a detox center in vicenza. I dont know why I would need a detox center but thats what I was told. I have the option of getting off it completely but I would have to do it within the next 2 months, and I dont know if its possible to taper off that quickly with the amount that I am taking. Im just at a loss of what to do now. any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Well I’ll be honest with you trying to taper from 20 mgs in 2 months is way too risky for your health considering you will be overseas in withdrawal been there done that you don’t want to ever fell like that outside of your home let alone home town. I really think the only thing that is goanna work at this point is if you stay behind for a couple months till you can do a full taper with your dr. Then move once your 100% suboxone free. I’d start looking too other peoples taper stories and see how long it took them to get off suboxone at around your dose?

The only thing I can think off that would be in Europe that is similar to suboxone would be methadone! And that’s very different then suboxone and the abuse rate is much higher so this could be a step backwards for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The Army can't block you from moving on the post b/c of the prescriptions you are taking, that just doesn't make sense. Did you marry him after he was already in? That still doesn't explain why they even know about what medications you are on, why can't you get your medication shipped to you? You should be able to show his PCS orders to your doctor & get the scripts you need. I also don't understand why you needed "sponsorship?" If you are married, and he is stationed there, then you go too if you choose. It's Italy, not North Korea. Do you have any negative record with the Army, such as domestic charges, drug charges, or something, there are only a few reasons you can be blocked from joining your spouse overseas. If there were any charges against you by the MP's, that would prevent you going, but other than that doesn't make sense. Please go into a little more detail. I was an Army wife, 101st Airborne...Hooah

Post subject: just wanted to mention
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just wanted to let you know I don't mean that you had to of done something illegal for you to be denied 'sponsorship.' I just am confusedabout the situation. I know suboxone is rarely tested for, and wonder if you actually told them what you were on. Your husband should have warned you not to tell them anything other than what they 'have to know', that's just how the Army is...don't tell them anything that isn't vital for them to know. I am very curious still if you are recently married & that's why you aren't on his orders, is he listed as 'unaccompanied'...and if he is, but hasn't yet deployed, you should be able to get that changed. And since you said you will be there for 2 yrs, that is long enough for your to gain sponsorship, it's not like he has less than a year. I know how confusing, and annoying miliatry life can be, I wanted my husband out just for the 'luxuries' like going 2 hours away w/out approval. There I was pushing my husband to go back to 'civilian life', now I am pushing to go back to the 'Army life'...go figure.
Anyways, I didn't want it to come across as judgemental! I am just confused as to why you were denied.
Linds