It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The way I take my dose
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So today is my first day on this forum and I am loving the information I am getting so far. Although i'm now convinced for the past 2 years I have been taking my dose very wrong. LOL I have always assumed that because of the way I take my dose that there is no way i'm actually getting the amount i'm supposed to be getting but I just figured if it's working for me then it's must be ok. Now i'm starting to i'm wasting a lot of expensive meds, but it's hard to know how much i'm actually getting so i'm afraid to cut back.
I'm on 16mg a day and I take one when I wake up in the morning and one at around 4pm. I put the full tablet under my tounge but I constantly spit into a cup. I leave it under my tounge until under my tounge fills up saliva and I spit it out and I keep doing this until the pill is gone. The reason for adopting this method was due to fear from the experience I had the first few days after starting subox. The fist time I had taken my dose I found it impossible to not swallow the large amount of saliva I seemed to be producing while taking my dose and with it being the first day and comming off of very large amounts of fentynol and oxy's the doc had me take 3-4 8mg tablets. That night I became extremely sick and proceeded to vomit the entire night and basically felt sea sick non-stop. I could not seem to find a way to take it without producing massive amounts of saliva and at that point I didn't want to spit it out due to fear of withdrawl so I continued to swallow the excess. Of course I also continued to vomit all day and night. So the next time I took it I would keep it under my tounge for as long as I could before my mouth filled with saliva and I was close to the point of it spilling out and then I would just spit the saliva into a cup. This seemed to work just fine and my body adjusted to whatever the amount was that I actually absorbed. So the point of this massive post is because i'm wondering if i'm taking 2 tablets a day but spitting so often that im only getting the absorbtion of one am I wasting half of my script by spitting it into a cup? I would love to figure out how much of the 16mg i'm really absorbing......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 am 
Yes I would say you are losing a substantial amount of bupe by spitting while its under your tongue. Im pretty sure everyones mouth fills up with a large amount of saliva when they take it, its very annoying. Before I take my dose I will spit out all the saliva in my mouth and rub and rub a paper towel under my tongue and around my mouth so it is completely dry. Its better to have a dry mouth so the bupe comes in direct contact with the membranes under your tongue and it will quickly moisten anyway as soon as you put the pill under there. I also crush my pill to a powder and then put it under my tongue for better absorbtion. I elevate my tongue a little and try not to move it because that generates more saliva. I usualy hold the "juices" in my mouth for around 45 minutes but thats because im obsessive over wasting any, it may be over kill but its just how I do it. I would def not spit it out while the tablet is in your mouth tho because it is definitely wasting it. Good luck hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I do not spit while I have the suboxone under tongue but just like suboxo said I hold it in my mouth for about 45 mins and yes it a pain in the ass but that's a small price to pay to have illicit narcotics out of my life. When I told my counselor how long I hold it in for she seemed kinda shocked she said most keep it in for 15 mins. I just said well when I do that I spit out a lot of orange and I was afraid I was not getting the right amount of buprenorphine. Keep up the great work everyone

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't spit out any while the pill is dissolving, but I sometimes do swallow before the whole thing is done dissolving. I also don't hold it in my mouth for as long as others do. I hold it in as long as I can. It's the best I can do. Who knows how much I'm getting, too?

From the way your described how you got sick when you first started, it sounds to me like you were taking WAY too much. That reaction is also the way an opiate naive person gets sick if they take suboxone. I'm glad it passed.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: My way
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I definitely agree with Hat that in the begininng if you were vomiting as much as you were you were taking too much. It appears your body has adjusted now. I tried many different methods but the one that seems to work for me is rinsing my mouth for a few minutes with warm water mixed with salt. After doing this my mouth becomes very dry......allowing me to get more absorption and the medicine kicks in...in about 10 minutes. You will see alot of different ways under the Suboxone Dosing index. I hope you find a way that works for you.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well ive tryed many methods but this is what works best for me. keep in mind im on the films now which makes thing 100% easier.

Ill take a sip a water rinse my mouth out then spit. and once i do this ill take a few deep breaths in of air to dry my mouth out. then place the films under my tounge then let them dissolve one they are gone i swish the spit around my mouth for 20 then swallow it all. the taste doesnt bother me anymore once i took it for a couple weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would also agree with the others that what happened before is because of the HUGE dose of sub your Dr. had you take!!!! When I was taking 8mgs I would break a 8mgs sub in 1/2 and place each 1/2 on either side of my tounge. As the pill disolves I try not to swollow until the whole pill disolves, but there are times I do a little bit. The whole process for me takes about 15 minutes and in the end 90 percent of the time I just swollow the rest thats in my mouth.

I have tried the salt water/warm water, holding it in longer, spiting and mouthwash before and a few other methods. Honestly felt no different using any of them. If your interested the is a tread on here in the dosing section called "How do you take your subs" or something like that and theres a lot of different ways there.

Welcome and good luck, hope you stick around this site is so great :D