It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rossma, I'm so sorry your little baby had to go through that - and you too! I know how messed up I would be with worry if something like that happened to one of my dogs. Take good care of both of you and let us know how he is.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rossma wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my 128 pound Rottweiler mix was limping on his back right leg. We live fairly close to one of the best veterinary universities in the country so I took him there. He had a ruptured cranial cruciate ligament in his right knee. This dog has been my constant companion since I have been sick and I just love him so dearly!

They had to do surgery to the tune of $3,000.00 (goodbye, Christmas and everything else). They did a TPLO which involves cutting the tibia and putting in a plate and 6 screws. What is ironic is that I just had a total knee replacement on MY right knee!

I brought my dog home today. He has to be watched constantly. He is not allowed to do anything that will put any excess force on the knee for 8 weeks. He has a huge sling that you have to hold his rear part up with. Half his body is shaved. He has a big incision on his knee. He has a Fentanyl patch on his back! He has PT exercises which must be done at least 3 times a day, along with heat and cold packs. Overall he seems to be doing OK so far.

So here I sit. My computer and TV are in my room, and I have my dog in here and up on the bed on a blanket so I can watch him. I have stairs next to the bed so he can get up and down without jumping. I am a private duty dog nurse. It is so good to have him home. I missed him while he was in the hospital.

.....and that is what is going on with me. ~Rossma

Wow so sorry to hear this rossma im glad to hear hes home and you are able to give him the help he nedd as being a dog nurse. I know your pain. I breed English Bull Terriers and my very first one b4 i started breeding was a crazy puppie. anyways one day there were people walking acrossed the street and being a pup he ran at them anyways they luckily got the cars going one way to stop but on the other side i was doing jumping jacks basicly in the middle of the street to get the car to stop. well it was a older couple and they didnt see me and hit him drug him under there car for about 20 seconds. well i rushed to his side picked him up and ran to my house. he was still alive but badly hurt. ill never get the sound of my dog screaming out of my head while being draged that will be with me for life. any ways he got up and tryed to walk his front half was fine but he was dragging his back feet im still in active addiction so i was young in my teens at this point in my life it was the hardest thing i went threw. Anyways my parents rushed him to the animal hospital and he had to be taken up to Toronto were the best dog surgent worked to have a opperation we live in Buffalo so it was prolly the worst 2 hour drive of my life cause every lil bump he would cry. Well we get there this place is like a real ER have the gurnie iv ready. But b4 they went in to do the operation the dr sat down with my mom and dad i wasnt a leagal adult at the time so i couldnt go in. But basicly said you have 2 options i could do the operation or you can say your good byes and will put him down. the only thing is the operation was 10,000.00 dolloars cash my dad took it out of his retirement saveings and they went ahead with the operation. He was my dog but no matter how much money it coast my dad said hes part of this family and we will do all he can to save him. that makes me cry to this day. Well he wasnt even a year old but his recovery was on him. He was suppost to never walk right again and was most likely to use one of those dog wheel chair things that was hard to think about but the day after the operation he was already up trying to walk. well the next few months were very hard he had a huge line of stiches down his back all shaved too. it would leak fluids so this will maek you smile now we came up with useing tampons then putting kids shirts on him to hold it in place worked great. Well hes back to 96% now runs,plays and everything else. And he never gave up the dr said at his last check up he beat the odds of science and only about 7% come back as far as he did from this operation. he broke 2 vertebrae.

Well all i got to say like you rossma this dog is my life hes just turned 7 a couple weeks ago and has been with me threw the good and the bad. when i was really hurt from my knee injurys he would lay right next to me on the couch on his side with his face right in mine licking me while i would sleep. my mom took a vid of this one time is was so cute. and he is also a big part of me makeing threw my addiction recovery.