PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Check it out if you have an interest in reigning in this cowboy industry:

https://www.gofundme.com/thetruthaboutrehab

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

thanks! i'll have to look into the 2 organizations more.
IMO normal people just can't take 30-90 days out of their lives togo to rehab. people have jobs, pet or kids.
plus the whole stigma of people knowing you're an addict.
the 2 people i personally know that got sent to rehab, their families paid upwards of $30K. The rehabs were both scientology based! both started using right after returning. they didn't work. i'm sure their families googled rehabs to find those places.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm 

It really must come down to the family of the addict doing their homework about the facility they plan on sending their loved one.

Funny, never even gave it any thought. I worked in the field way back in the 90's but that was for my companies EAP program. We really didn't make a dent on addiction. It was really about the person doing what we told them to keep their job. Got threatened by several hard core gang members and decided then to hang up my hat in the recovery end of my career. But that was just the Postal Service and nothing at all to do with private rehabs. Too bad, it spoiled my view of trying to help people so I never went forward on a job hunt.

Government oversight? Not sure how well I like that idea either. They can't even reign in the Scientology group.

Thanks for at least putting it out there TJ. It is something to be looked at closely when it affects you or a loved one.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the qualms I have with the industry is that none of these facilities provide accurate, honest and bona fide figures for their long term success rates. They either don't disclose them at all, or their figures are fudged and completely full of it. Often "success rates" they promote are actually reductions in risky behaviour, criminal behaviour, reductions in sharing needles etc. And this is usually only because rehab gives the patient a bit of time to repair their healthy support networks.

Because if these rehabs actually publicised their real relapse rates (which are generously of around 80%+ for alcohol and 90%+ for opiates within 6 months to a year), people WOULD NOT fork out 30k+. Families often fork out exorbitant funds or even remortgage their homes to send their kid to rehab thinking it will cure their addiction. And it's in the facilities interests to maintain this illusion.

It's a fkn crock. Thank god I only ever went to public facilities. But mind you those places also have their problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely do not want the government involved except it should be free and that should be the only way the government gets involved is pay for it cuz like the other guy said they have a horrible success rate so it should be a lot cheaper for something that's not even going to work half the time or not less than half the time