It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The Tough Decision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I guess this is more of A tough decision than THE tough decision. And at the risk of repeating myself from my Mr. Brownstone effect post in this same forum category, I once again find myself in the same position of being low, almost out of my prescription a week before I'm due to get it refilled. I had again promised myself that last month would be the last time, and again, I've fallen short of the mark. Between all the stresses and psychologically feeling the effects of my Zubsolv wear off, I've shot myself in the foot again. Figuratively, not literally. I am not, was never an IV guy. Anyway, leaving it to your helpful minds and hearts, I suppose I'm just fishing for encouragement and some sense of unanimity to precede calling or visiting my doctor and seeing what we can work out. I have a sense, based off my intake that it will go well, but when it's something you can't live without, it's hard to deliberately jeopardize. Thank you all, actively and retroactively.

Post subject: Re: The Tough Decision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am 

I'm sorry that I didn't see your post until tonight! How has this week worked out for you?

If you start to find yourself in this position again, see if you can find someone to hold onto a weeks worth at a time for you. If you don't have anyone who can do that for you, you can ask your doctor to only prescribe one week at a time. You are not the first, nor are you the last who runs into this problem. I would suggest going to a SMART Recovery meeting to start to work on modifying destructive behaviors.

Good luck and let us know how it's going for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the reply, Amy! However belated, you made some very good suggestions. As it happened, the “emergency” doctor visit went better than I could have ever hoped or expected. The doctor was surprised at my fear and anxiety going in, and treated it like it was no big deal. While I do consider it a big deal in terms of my recovery, the doctor’s response felt like unconditional care and compassion. She upped my dose to three tablets a day, prescribed me a low dose of Prozac for the anxiety, and told me under pain of hard eye contact that if I had any problems, and problems at all, to call, email or just drop by. She also complimented me on the tone and form of the email I had sent, as apparently she is unaccustomed to what she called “intelligent correspondence.” Overall, I am feeling very relieved. I have a dose I can stick to that fits my day, my cravings, and will allow me to move forward without all the sneakiness that underlies the addictive mindset. As of right now, I don’t know that having a cache of tablets with a friend wil be necessary. And honestly, I don’t have that many friends, I’m sorry to say. I’m not an abrasive person, but I spend a lot of time in the world of my mind and imagination. Not the best hangout place for an addict, but that’s also where I work my magic. Thank you again!

B. Byrner

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

She sounds like my doctor whom I love! Very happy for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:02 pm 

I'm so happy u have a great caring doctor bunson and I'm so happy that ur appointment turned out positive! Believe it or not, there's been a few ppl that have went to their doctor with a very similar situation as u had and their doctor discharged them! It actually happens more than we'd think and it's unfair. We're addicts and we make mistakes, just like any normal patient would too. So hopefully this is what ya needed.

It's funny what u said about not having a whole lot of friends because I don't really either. I have my fiancé that I've been with for almost 7 years and my 1st cousin who's like my sister and that's really who I speak with on a regular basis. I'm not antisocial or anything lol but since I've entered recovery, I've just became more interested in things I can do at home like gardening and exercising. I of course love to shop but I'm just more interested in staying home and enjoying my personal space. I think I figured out why...... when I was using, I'd go around anyone that had a common interest with me like finding pills. I'd be around ppl for days that I didn't like and knew I wouldn't ever have anything in common with if I weren't using. Some were ok and some were downright mean ppl. I did that for years and now I'm perfectly happy being at home with ppl who love me more than anything. That's my opinion on it. Anyway I'll stop yapping, that comment just got me to thinking :)

Have a great day!!