It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The Toothache & I
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I ALMOST had a surgical type experience so I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot 'cause I just need some asap advice.

So I'm on 16mg a day Sub, have been on this dose for 2 months, on Subs in general for 4 months. I started getting incredible tooth pain Friday afternoon (after the dentist office closed of course) and it persisted into Saturday morning and afternoon. I was taking so many Aleve and Tylenol that I had a stomach ache and couldn't take the pain any longer and called my dentist. He said all he could do was call in a script for Vicodin and see me on Monday and probably do a root canal (with similar experiences, I've had 6 so far). I freaked out a little about the Vicodin but read a few posts on here about stopping Sub before surgery so you're able to benefit from straight up opiates for pain again, so I decided to just not going to take any more Sub (my last dose was Saturday morning) and take the Vicodin. He gave me 16 of 5/500 Vicodin (not allowed to call in anything stronger by law). I didn't have time or patience to fill him in on my sobriety/Suboxone journey. Just figured I'd take double the amount than usual and I'd at least feel SOME relief, and I did after about 5 of them Saturday night. Sunday I ended up taking 8 throughout the day for pain along with Aleve.

Aaaand of course I wake up Monday an hour before my dentist appointment and the pain is gone. Of course. So I don't take any more Vicodin and go in and he pokes around and doesn't see anything worth immediately doing a root canal or extraction over like I thought he would (and I figured I would continue to not take Sub and continue to take Percs or whatever he gave me and I would eventually feel them etc). He says to wait it out and see if I experience any more pain, that I probably chewed on something hard and didn't realize it and caused a reaction for awhile. Other than that, good to go.

Great.

So here I am with 3 Vicodin left Monday at noon, haven't taken Sub since Saturday morning, and I feel CRAZY AS HELL. Like my brain is all out of whack, I feel depressed and anxious which is making what to do next harder. Now, I have an appointment to see my Sub doc tomorrow afternoon so maybe he can give me advice, but... do I just go ahead and take the 3 Vicodin today? And take a Sub dose tonight? So I can stop feeling this way? Because it feels like I did before I started taking anti-depressants?! I want to know if it's all in my head that I feel this out of whack after switching out opiate blockers for opiates for merely 2 days...

Thanks, I hope this makes sense :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Be careful of precipitated w/d taking sub too soon after taking full agonist opiates. You will be sorry. Google precipitated withdrawal & suboxone. Good luck