It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The struggle is real!!
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was recently discharged from inpatient drug and alcohol treatment. I am currently on suboxone maintenance, attending IOP(3 hours a day, 3 days a week). I'm also attending NA meetings daily.

As far as my recovery goes, I'm doing great: daily contact with my Higher Power, seeking a sponsor, attending meetings, active in the fellowship and reading the literature numerous times daily. I feel serene for the first time in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I still get cravings and experience triggers but my handling of those types of situations has exceeded even what I expected from myself.

I've developed great coping skills and utilize them continuously. My gratitude is THROUGH THE ROOF; I write a gratitude list daily and express how grateful I am to my HP, fellowship and friends/family every single day. Humility is the second biggest component of the changes I've made. I'm incredibly grateful for my humility as well, I never thought I'd arrive here(where I'm at in my recovery today).

The struggle I'm dealing with, and have been trying to combat since leaving treatment, is on the employment front. I've been searching extensively with no results. I have no money. I've reached out to countless associations and services attempting to attain funds to get a bus pass. Walking consumes most of my hours daily: i walk to my local career link twice a week, 2 hour walk each way. I'm homeless and couch surfing. Not the way I used to; I have a couple amazing(safe and sober) friends that welcome me into their homes in a sort of rotation.

The only family i have left is my sister. She's amazing. She has special needs and is on disability. She doesn't completely understand the disease of addiction; it just doesn't make sense to her. Nonetheless, she offers encouragement, love and an immense amount of emotional support. I'm so grateful that i have her and that she has me.

The struggle is real. Sometimes i think how my life could have been different had I been born into a different life/family....my senses quickly return to my gratitude for my life, my family passed, my sister, my friends, my experiences and the amazing person I'm becoming on my journey.

I'm asking for nothing more than prayers from you all to your individual Higher Power. I believe in the power of prayer. Moreover, I trust Karma. I know that as long as I follow this spiritual path, continue to be receptive and share empathy&love with every person I come in contact with that good will come to me. Until and after I complete my goals I'll always practice acceptance and patience.
I love you all.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello aj...

So nice to have you here. Your devotion to recovery is inspiring. One quick point, you really
shouldn't be bothered too much by cravings if your suboxone dose is sufficient. We're all different,
and of course it's common to feel a sense of loss when the drugs are gone. But full on lust
for your old DOC...if that's what's happening... isn't something you need to be dealing with.

On the employment front, I've no doubt that with your positive attitude you'll be finding something
soon. An upbeat approach to life...speaking of karma...is attractive to employers. Just keep plugging.

And keep posting. There's all kinds of support on this forum!

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hey aj welcome!

Godfrey said it best, not much I can add :)

I remember when I started recovery, I'd lost everything. It took me awhile to gain things bk again but in time I did. I'd lost all material things, I had no home of my own or vehicle so I literally started over again. U will too, it won't happen over night but it will happen. I'm a big believer in karma also..... huge. I have to believe that if ur heart is good then good things will happen. Many prayers to u.

If u have ppl that support u, then u have everything. Without my mother and fiancé, I would have had a lot rougher time than I did. So ur sister and ur friends are there for u and it'll be a huge help :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:31 pm 

Hi A.J, Welcome! It sounds like you have done so much work on yourself! I pray that something gives on the employment front for you! Our current system sucks when it comes to helping people find housing! It is so expensive and there is just not enough affordable apartments or even rooming houses. I wish you all the luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm new and haven't started (start Monday), but wanted to post and say you were in my thoughts and prayers!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:54 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

is there a goodwill store near you? they don't pay much, but they will hire anyone even with a drug past or convictions. its like a goodwill thing :)
good luck with your steps.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got you in my prayers! I feel so humbled by you i hope and pray that God blesses you in every way possible. Addiction sux and treatment can be life-changing.