It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,
Just wondering if someone could tell me if the strips lose potency if you cut them up and put them in a 7-day pill container? I have been cutting up my 2mg strip into .5mg pieces and taking my daily dose that way. I have been a little inconsistent with my dose( around 1mg to 1.5mg daily) never above 1.5mg, but wondered if the film loses potency because it sits in that pill box exposed to the air. The reason I ask is that it seems to me the strip works better when I take a dose straight from the pkg instead of the ones that have been cut ahead of time in the pill box. Is there anything to this? Or just a pure placebo effect? I am starting my taper as soon as i put a week straight at one dose. I have been up and down with my daily dose and I know I need to be consistent. Feedback please, suggestions. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello,

In my own personal opionion there is nothing to it losing it's potency being in your pill container. As I was tapering I usually cut up the dose pieces in advance and kept them in the same foil wrapper they come in.

I cut the wrapper along the edge and fold over a tiny bit of it so it will "seal" a bit. I then used a paper clip to secure it and never had any issues as far as the strength of a piece losing the potency. One of my friends kept her cut up pieces in an old prescription pill bottle and never complained of any issues.

Maybe you could try one of those methods and see if there is any difference? I'm not saying it can't happen, but it never happened to me or any one I have ever heard of.

Now if they were to get damp for any reason then the possibility is probably there for it to lose some of it's strength. As long as they are in a dry place as directed on the package I think your good to go.

Good luck on your taper. You are correct that it's best to get the dose stable meaning try to take the same amount at the same time each day. Keeps the drug at a constant level in your system and heads off any potential issues I believe.

Hope this helps and best wishes along with Happy Holidays!

Karen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
When I was first getting ready to start Suboxone I did a ton of research and read everything on Suboxone
com so forgive me but I don't remember where I read this. Anyway, left outside of their original package for 1 to 2 months or longer could cause them to dry and crack. It never said anything about losing its potency but I always return mine to their foil pack.

Good luck,
LLF

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey justdoit4u,

I cut my films and placed them in a 7 day pill container for over 6 months. I never noticed any difference in potency. When I cut my films every week, I would divide them into 7 days and take them throughout the week. (1) 2mg strip would last me anywhere from a couple days to 1 month at the end of my taper. Once you divide you strip/s into the the 7 days, I would place the remainder into a small ziplock bag to prevent moisture from affecting it. Then obviously be sure to use the rest of that strip before opening any new ones.

To recap, I tapered from 2mg down to .015mg over that 6 month period of time and had no issues with dose potency. Good luck with your taper!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RXFCG,
I have a question for you...what did you do to help you make the cuts even? Fold? Or how?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LovinLife,

I created an Rx Film Cutting Guide which helped me cut my films. I would place them on the guide I made and line up my razor blade to slice the pieces. I sell the guide to those that find it useful, but I also made a youtube video that will help you cut your films regardless.

See the link below: http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com/instructions.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

RXCFG