It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The Right Strain
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't know if this is the right section to ask this but I'll take my chances anyway.

I Just want to ask if someone here knows the right marijuana strain to use when it come with fibromyalgia?

I've been suffering with back pain for almost 3 months now and can't sleep properly at night. I already have a prescription meds but I refrain on using them coz it only take the pain for a minute or so and back again. Then one of my friends gave me a joint to try if it makes me feel better and it does! I try asking him what it is but he has no idea also. So I started doing my own research about medical marijuana and strains that would be effective against pain and came across this blueberry marijuana review.
I'm not sure if that's the strain that I've tried but it has the highest pain management effect. Cbd and thc are all new to me. I also read that drinking it as tea or as a muffin/cake is an option, but is relief effects the same? Why can't they simply make pills out of marijuana - or maybe there are that I am not aware of. If it's true, then I would very much appreciate any ideas and advice on what strain is good and how to use it medically. Thanks in advance to those who'll answer.

Post subject: Re: The Right Strain
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Soul,

Welcome to the forum!

You won't like this, but in my humble opinion fibromyalgia's got a strong psychosomatic
component. People get all bent out of shape generally because they think they're being accused
of making it up, or that it's all "In their head." But actually the pain is as real as any other. Perceived
pain is real pain, no matter the source. If you consider your statement that your pain meds only take the
pain away for a minute or so, you might see that's really not physiological. No pain med would work
for a minute.

The reason I feel a bit qualified to talk about this stuff is I too have suffered from psychosomatic pain syndromes in my life.. The good news is it can be treated, but of course the focus of the treatment is different than if it were a physical issue.

I'll leave the rest to others who are more up on their weed strains than I. I take it you don't live in a medical marijuana state? Because then it would be a matter of consulting with someone who knows his strains and can sell you something consistent.

Please don't take offense. If you don't buy it, you don't buy it, and that's the end of the matter. I couldn't in good conscience not tell you what I think to be the reality of your situation.

Wishing you the best
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with Godfrey's comments.

A couple thoughts-- the most beneficial treatment is exercise, without a doubt. I don't know you or anything about you- but when I tell patients who complain of fibromyalgia about the importance of exercise they either explain the 10 reasons why that treatment won't work in their cases, or claim to be exercising daily.... but when I try to get info about that exercise, the story falls apart.

Marijuana apparently treats every known disease on the planet (he said, sarcastically). If you use THC (the psychoactive chemical) to treat 'fibromyalgia', it may do something positive initially just by taking your mind off how your body feels. But if you end up spending more time on the couch, the fibromyalgia symptoms will only worsen. You will do yourself a major favor if you add some aerobic conditioning to your schedule.

Pot can be sold as a nutritional substance, but the FDA controls the marketing and sale of medications in an entirely different way. THC is available in pill form already, in a drug called Marinol. Most doctors are not comfortable prescribing Marinol except for clear indications, such as chemo-induced nausea. Beyond that, many of the marijuana 'health advocates' claim that smoking the plant is much more effective than taking a THC pill. Not sure if that's true- and I suspect at least part of the claim comes from efforts to legalize home-grown marijuana.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Soultrip, I can definitely help you out with this! You live in a medical cannabis state? If so get your card ASAP so this is all legal. You will want strains with a higher CBD content in them. Anything above 1% CBD is actually rare, but nowadays it's getting more popular and you'll be able to find strains with up to 20% CBD. CBD (cannabinol) is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid similar to THC (the stuff that gets you high). What's great about CBD is that it has MANY positive benefits such as being able to relieve pain, stop seizures, stop headaches, and much more. Taking CBD alone however does not provide enough pain relief to me, so I usually get a strain with high THC as well to level it out. When you visit dispensaries you can ask if they have any high CBD strains, it's easiest to go the website Weedmaps and check the selection of dispensaries in your area. Some names I can think of off the top of my head that would be perfect for fibromyalgia would be Cannatonic, Harlequin, and OG Kush. If you have any other questions just ask.

Last edited by sleepy1prg on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey all,

If skimming this post, read the first sentence in each paragraph.

Say tuned as more medical data is emerging on fibromyalgia.

One is the recent discovery that up to 50% of fibromyalgia patients can have a small fiber neuropathy (SFN), a painful and often debilitating condition on its own.

The findings indicate that in a subset of FM patients, their pain syndrome is, at least partially, of neuropathic origin.

Small fiber neuropathy can now be diagnosed by a fairly new procedure called a skin punch biopsy which can show reduced intraepidermal nerve fiber density which means small fiber nerves are damaged, some severely, with mild to severe pain as the outcome. I've looked at fibromaylgia patient's skin biopsy pathology slides and the damage and loss of nerve fibers is clear. Based on the excellent skin fiber neuropathy efforts at John Hopkins, 3 small upstart neurology labs are now marketing these services to Drs. That's the good news, that SFN patients, including fibro patients can obtain a skin biopsy which can yield further info. The bad news is this biopsy advance doesn't yet change the course of treatment for those w SFN bc 1) they don't have good pain treatment for nerve pain, which can be severe and is very difficult to treat and 2) they don't yet know how to stop SFN progression.

One other area yielding SFN info, including for fibro, is thru all the genetic testing companies, 23 and me and large medical genetic testing labs, Genedx etc. While the patient only pays for and gets results back on specific genes to be tested, genetic companies run ALL the known genetic tests on each patients blood/saliva sample and are compiling huge growing gene databases from which emerge genetic mutations and genetic variations show which are pathologic (bad). One gene is the SFN SCN9A and SCN10A gene and is showing up in fibromyalgia patients genetic tests. It may be that fibro is a pieced together diagnosis till its biologic markers are known. I'm saying stay tuned...

Small nerve fiber involvement in patients referred for fibromyalgia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24469976

Routine use of punch biopsy to diagnose small fiber neuropathy in fibromyalgia patients
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4348533/

Reduction of Intraepidermal Nerve Fiber Density (IENFD) in the skin biopsies of patients with fibromyalgia: a controlled study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25304055

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 pm 

Thanks for the link to scientific study, Pelican! I'm sure that fibromyalgia sufferers are grateful for any diagnostic tool that has the potential to help researchers get to the bottom of their syndrome. I can only imagine that it is frustrating to have an illness that is difficult to diagnose.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Of course contrary opinions are to be expected on this controversial subject
Worried about upsetting people, it was a relief to get support from Dr. J.
Folks tend to get better when they begin to think in terms of mind/body and go out
and exercise. They don't get better generally, when they restrict activities
more and more, and seek only medical solutions. They get worse.

There are many studies about many things. Some studies seem to indicate this, some
seem to indicate that. Opinions vary. And many studies turn out to be not replicable...To see just how bad the situation is, here's an interesting link to wikipedia..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis
I suggest scrolling down to "medical studies."

Regarding the effectiveness of exercise
here's a link from the Mayo Clinic...http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... t-20093376

yes, its another study, but the evidence for the effectiveness of exercise in this area is overwhelming it seems to me. that's something worth considering for anyone with this illness, no matter how one comes down
on the nature of the illness itself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Imo, there is non agreement among US MDs, treating and researching, on the cause of Fibromyalgia. Imo, most seem to believe its psychogenic, some believe its central nervous system pain processing circuit dysfunction w a few now subscribing to an immunogenic cause.

I agree that study replication is a huge issue. While fibromyalgia (FM) w small fiber neuropathy (SFN) studies are small sample sizes, studies are being replicated. There's now no question that FM and SFN have a clear correlation.

A research interest of mine is large and small fiber neuropathy (SFN), not fibromyalgia (FM). Yet, studies on FM w SFN, clearly and repeatedly pop up. One question is does small fiber damage represent an initiating event in some (but not all) patients with FM? Alternatively, it is possible that some patients in whom FM is diagnosed are instead affected by SFN with clinical features mimicking FM?

A larger question is what does FM w SFN mean? The MD proponents of central nervous system pain circuit processing dysfunction as the cause, argue SFN doesn't explain the FM deeper pain. Other MDs argue the nerve damage in FM is not just only in the skin, but in some FM patients, clearly shows in their corneas, which contain the densest small fiber innervations of the body. Further FM studies are now looking at deeper muscle and fascia tissue nerve fibers expecting to find nerve damage. The exciting news is that these studies are finally yielding objective findings, which for a long time have been missing for FM. So stay tuned.. but enough from me...

Godfrey!! Agree on exercise! Reports abound w chronic disease patients, including SFN, who exercise, experience a clear improvement in pain and function.

Godfrey, Glad you are here and really enjoy all your posts! Appreciate you much. Happy you all are able to be in and enjoy Key West! Did you get your script down there figured out? I assume you've stockpiled long before your trip so you have extras if needed? Best to you always, Peli.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey friend Peli,

Right back atcha on the kind things said. And yes, I have what I consider a generous 3-4 month stockpile on hand which would have been sufficient to carry me through here in the keys. But I lucked out and found a guy who was willing to prescribe long distance for two months, the only requirement being a couple of 30 minute cellphone appointments. The only thing is, he's hot on doing therapy and I really don't feel like getting into it all with him. You know how there are people you're willing to open up with and those
you aren't. He's a perfectly nice man but he's squarely in the second group.

OH well, much more information than you were looking for I'm sure.

Thanks again, Pelican. Your've an invaluable source of information and support!

G