It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Am I on the right dose?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am taking 6mg daily. I take 4 in the morning the 2 in late afternoon. Will my body get adjusted to this dose? I really don't want to go up but I feel like crap everyday. And I'm in the process of trying to figure out if it's from my anxitey or maybe even depression. But I'm lossing my mind thinking it's the subutex. I have this horrible fear of overdosing so I worry I didn't introduce it into my body the right way... I've been on it for about a month and a half.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 pm 

Hi Summergirl and welcome here!

A little more information is required before anyone can give their opinion about your dose. What were you taking as your drug of choice and how much? Your doctor normally decides which dose is sufficient to stop the cravings for opiates once they know what you've told them. When I first got on Suboxone and filled out the paperwork they asked for, that was the first time I was completely honest about my addiction. It was very scary to even read what I wrote because it embarrased me. But now, after reading the different stories here I see that my case was quite normal.

Back in '10 when I got on it, the medical field knew very little about Buprenorphine. Everything I know about it now I learned here from reading the posts. Meaning, he gave me too much in the beginning so I had to taper down fairly fast. Your body will tell you which dose is good for you. Give it two weeks for your system to stabilize and then assess it again. If you need more, ask for it. Less, ask to be dropped down, nice and slowly.

rule

P.S. I haven't read the introductions so you may have written your history there. If so, I apologize in advance. This is the first post I saw.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Most people are on a higher dose than you are early in treatment. I was on 16 mg for the first 18 months of buprenorphine. Since that time I have very gradually reduced my dose currently at 2 mg a day. I did not have any discomfort until the last decrease from 3 to 2 mg. In my opinion, if you increase your dose to 8, 10 or 12 mg you will have an easy time tapering back to 6 mg when the time is right. At this point you need to be stable and comfortable and not worry about what your dose is. That will sort itself out in the future. Good luck.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on suboxne for 3 years I got down to 4mg and came off in may. Then I had mouth surgery and ended up back on pain killers. So about a month and a half ago I started taking sub again.
I just remember when I was on suboxne last time I felt great and this time around I dont... i take 6mg sometimes 8mg. But I take 4mg in the am then 2 in the late afternoon. And sometimes 2 before bed.
I don't get cravings at all I hate this life.. I don't want to take anything. But I feel like I'm lossing my mind and wonder if it's because I don't take enough. I'm also on subutex not suboxne if that matters. Because the naloxone has always made me sick.

Hope that's enough info for your opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:52 am 

Hey welcome!

I think it'd help knowing how much of a tolerance u had before taking suboxone this time around. But still, if u have been taking suboxone a month now, ur body should be adjusting to whatever dose ur on right now. Do u get ur suboxone from a doctor? If so u should tell him how ur feeling and see if he possibly thinks ur having some depression issues. There's definitely ppl who suffer from some type of depression and don't fully understand it until they've stopped taking the numbing opiates. Could that be it maybe? If u don't think ur depressed, then u could ask ur doctor to bump u up to 8 to 12mg just to see if that helps.

I hope u feel better soon. Feeling upset all the time is extremely difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much. I do have an appointment with him on Thursday. We tried lexapro when I stated my subs but I stopped it because it was just to much are once with the going back on subs.
I think it's probably time to try it again. I just don't know what depression meds are best for depression but I'm sure he does. It is a doctor I see

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:07 pm 

Awesome! I'm glad u have a doctor and he's aware somewhat of ur issues. If I were u, I'd just go into that appointment and be 100% honest about everything ur feeling. It could be that u need a higher dose or could be that ur having some separate issues that may require additional medication. Maybe after Thursday you'll be a lot more hopeful of the situation. Keep us posted though :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Summer, You have some good answers to your questions to consider. I was just wondering, what dose were you on for the 3 yrs you were on Suboxone or meds like Suboxone that had you feeling well? Maybe 6 to 8 a day, I think that is what your on now, isn't strong enough this second time around. I am on 12 mg a day, 4 morning, 4 noonish and 4 around 6 pm. I was on 16 mg but dropped last month, 6 months into taking Suboxone for the first time in my life. And it has been EVERYTHING everybody claimed and then some. I am so pleased with how I an doing/ feeling on Suboxone. Oh one other thing, if the Dr. puts you on Lexapro or some other antidepressant, you have to make sure you give it time to work before writing it off. Tried Wellbutrin? I've known a few recovering drug addicts to do well on that one. Just thought I'd through that out there. Good luck to you and remember to be very thorough at your Dr. visit. Tell him/her everything your feelings. Bamagirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks jenn and bam
The last time I was on it for those 3 years I was on 6mg for the last year then got down to 4mg. Even when I started it I was only on 12mg but back then my tolerance was pretty high this time around before taking the subs I was on 40mg of methadone or like 5 vics. That was for like 2 months