It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 am



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 am 
Offline
New Poster
New Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:51 am
Posts: 2
Hey everyone, let me start off by saying thank you to those of you who take the time out of your lives to help others change theirs. i hope i can take the full advantage of any help and pay it forward. I have to make a change in mine one way or another and im here to see if subox is the right thing for that. sorry if this post looks a little long but i just want to have perspective. the smallest detail can have huge effects!



Have been taking opiates for around 5 years now. I was working 3rd shift and discovered how much of an edge it really took off from it all. i wasnt aware nor did i pay any attention of how serious addictian on was. (had a friend who got them every month but never really took them, HUGE supply) So i started by just taking 2 10mg hydros before i would go into work just a cpl times a week untill eventually i was taking them every night. now, 5 years later i have to take about 4 10mg hydros or like 5 7.5's and then 2 hours later pop another one. so im at around 40-50mg a night. obviously that HUGE supply i mentioned at the start didnt last forever (do they ever) it ended about 6 months after my start so that would lead me into trying out the rest of the opiate family. im really really funny about trying new things (yea, funny hearing that from a pill head) so through out the years i've managed to just stick to Hydros,Perks,Oxy/Roxy and Methadone's. - Never have i done Diladid,Opana,Fent patches. I did a 15mg Morph once but didnt really feel anything so i've just used that as an excuse to stay away from those. now with all that being said, i dont have to stay buzzed 247 and in fact i dont take anything during the day. even when i tore my acl i still waited till night to take my pills. i think it has alot to do with keeping the tolerance low AND having atlest some kinda control with my addiction and i always suggest to friends that are far worse then me who are looking for a solution to try to cut their days in half, spend the first half of your day clean and wait till the 2nd half to dose. hell, it even gives you an extra thing to look forward too but yea everyones different. some cant wake up and start their day without anything and im backasswards and cant end it with out anything. anyways so point being i only dose once at 8pm no matter what time i go to bed or what time i wake up but its still an addiction, i still go through withdrawls and yes i do call into work on nights that i dont have anything, yes my life does revolve around weather i have pills or not, yes i wanna stop, yes sometimes i dont wanna stop. i want to see if subox is something that is right for me but where do i start ?
i have no problem finding it but i have no idea how much to take. some tell me to take a whole 8mg strip while others say no just try half a strip or a quarter. so i guess what im trying to figure out is how much to start out with without doing too much or doing to less. im not going to try to ask the equivalency rate because i do understand that every drug is different but i will give my usual dose on each opiate that i take so those of you helping can be more accurate. knowledge is key.

I take by mouth except the roxy's which i snort.

Hydrocodone: 4 x 10mg's, good from 8pm to 7am by which im close to being in bed.

Oxycodone:
Perks: same as above
Roxy's: i gotta atlest snort 45mg and then snort another 15mg by nights end.
Oxy OP's: atlest 60mg's

Methadone: 3 to 3 1/2 10mg's. good all night and though im not stoned when i wake up i still wake up in a good mood :) actually all damn day im in a good mood but i never take them more then 2 to 3 days in a row, just too much for me.

When it comes to the Hydro and Perk nights i sometimes take an extra one a cpl hours after the initial dose to prolong the effects depending how hard im working or what i ate before i took them. some foods just aint a good mix.

I've had some people say subox is more like a methadone then anything just because its long half-life. like i previously said about the methadones the next day i dont feel fucked up like i do when they peak but you still kinda feel them which is good but yea, a few days of that and i start to feel unusual,constipated and sounds like morse code when i piss. Again, im not trying to be walking sideways and slurring my speach like some that i deal with but need that lift untill i can work out a plan to start trying wing myself off.

So whats a good dose to start with ? Pills and/or strips. Thank you all so much in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Starting Dose
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:23 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 am
Posts: 2802
Location: Southwest
Welcome fkit,

If you are dead set on taking Suboxone then I'd say you don't take any more than 1-2mg's and see how that goes. An 8mg strip would need to be cut in half (4mgs) then cut again and again to get to 1mg. And please keep in mind that it does take sometimes over an hour to get the full effect although you will feel it within about 15-20 minutes. Then if you need more, go up in very small increments. If you take a full 8mg strip you risk getting sick and you'll regret it.

Is your goal to stop opiates completely? Then I would suggest you go to a Suboxone doctor and do it the right way. By buying them off the street it keeps the addictive part of your brain alive and well. When I stopped opiates the last person I'd want to see would be my dealer. What if you can't get any one week? Then what will you do? By going to a Dr. you are showing that you are committed to getting off the drugs.

Is there any way you can wean yourself down and not take Suboxone? By going all day without, you are one step ahead. There was a time when I too didn't take any until the evening and I wish I would have stopped back then. It would be so much easier to withdraw from.

It's your decision and we'll support you either way.

Once again, Welcome to the forum and I hope you get what you are looking for here.

_________________
Don't take yourself so damn seriously


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
I agree with Rule. Take the lowest dose possible...you can always go up from there if you need to.

As far as films vs. pills...I take the films and like them, but I've never tried the tabs. I've read that the films have better bioavailability, and it seems to me that the films would be easier if you need to cut an accurate small dose. But some people still prefer the tabs.

You can also use the $50 off coupon on the Suboxone website if you buy the films from a pharmacy. I don't have insurance, so that's what I'm sticking with to save money.

Welcome to the forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
Fkit, not to burst your bubble but you are just replacing one drug for another. You should seriously consider getting off of everything rather than finding a more suitable replacement. I'm gathering/guessing that you now have a source for Suboxone so that you can buy them/etc. Your addiction problem is not that high of a daily dose, you could go cold turkey and get off of everything. 4x10mg loratbs/day is not enough of a dose to where you would need to be on Suboxone to get clean. I suggest that you just stop taking Pills period, as you are only taking them to get HIGH. Either that or go see a trained Doctor that might can consul you as to the correct way to Detox off of Opiates. Hang In there, you can go cold turkey and just be done with it. At the dose you are taking going cold turkey wouldn't be that bad at all, a few days of withdrawals and then you wold start to feel better each day afterwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:08 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
One day ata Time wrote:
Your addiction problem is not that high of a daily dose, you could go cold turkey and get off of everything. 4x10mg loratbs/day is not enough of a dose to where you would need to be on Suboxone to get clean.


I disagree with this statement. This is the response I encountered when I first wanted to get on Suboxone, so I waited a while, and during that while, my intake of hydro had doubled, and then tripled. I wished I hadn't listened to someone who told me that I didn't take enough pills to warrant getting on sub. I don't think it's a certain milligram amount that justifies getting on sub, it's whether or not you feel out of control with your use of drugs.

One day ata Time wrote:
I suggest that you just stop taking Pills period, as you are only taking them to get HIGH. At the dose you are taking going cold turkey wouldn't be that bad at all, a few days of withdrawals and then you wold start to feel better each day afterwards.


Ahh, if it were just that easy, most of us wouldn't be here. I knew I was in over my head long before I got to the point to where I was at...when I was only taking the amount that fkit is taking, and I tried to stop...but couldn't. While it is true that going cold turkey is physically possible at this point...it is also true that it is physically possible at ANY point. It's the physchological issue that keeps us addicts from being able to "just stop taking pills period", and taper off and stay off. And the fact that he was taking them just to get high should be an argument FOR sub use, not against it.

If something isn't done at this point, fkit could be in the same boat as I was...out thousands more dollars from continuing to buy his doc, and taking a higher dosage of hydro/oxy, than he would've been if he'd just started taking sub sooner. He can take a way smaller amount of sub than someone else who has a bigger habit than him...just enough to help him with HIS individual addiction.

And even if he is at a pretty low dose of hydro/oxy or whatever...that's still 5 years worth of popping pills every single day...that seems like a long time to me to just be able to stop taking them all of a sudden, or to responsibly taper off that easily.

Just my opinions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 am 
Offline
New Poster
New Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:51 am
Posts: 2
One Day, if i was on the outside looking in then i what be saying the exact same thing and in fact when i deal with people who are just starting out on opiates i preach the exact same thing. i know i could probably quit cold turkey IF life was perfect, amen.. but after posting this and looking back i realize that this addiction is just part of my problem. i honestly believe that if your weak then the key to beating addiction is changing your environment and yes i really want to stop but not yet, i have to get other things right in my life first. yes its true that i would just be trading one addiction for another but id rather be addicted to subs. no tylenol, cheaper, no more putting myself and family in danger (i've been in odd situations). i can rid myself from all the people who take advantage of junkies and try to dictate their lives with pills.. theres just so much more advantages to it and aside from cutting out all the tylenol from the perks and hydros i havnt even mentioned the health benefits. my dose's may not seem alot but if my asshole could only talk.. in 5 years the longest i have ever went without having anything was 2 days and then just last month i went almost 3 days and i've never ever had gas pains that bad in my life. it scared the shit outta me (no pun intended). i will always remember one of my worse off friends telling me something (hes went cold turkey a few times) he said you get to that 3rd day thinnking "ah it wasnt that bad" and then the 4th hits. enough said.. Rock on though One, very grateful for your intake and incouragement as i am with the others, pls stick around for any other advise.

about weaning, im not sure how possible know what i mean ? its seems my tolerance jumps and im sure it has everything to do with all kinds i take but let me give you a example.

5 months ago at the start of the month i would take the hydro's for about 2 weeks. 40-50mg a day. then about the time those run out a friend would get the Oxy Op's. i would take about 45mg of that, no matter what size the pills were i would chop them up to equal out 45mg. after few days of those it would be methadone time! take 30mg of that daily for no more then 3 days and then its Roxy time. Snort like 35-45mg of that and then snort another 7-15mg 2 hours later and i would stick with the roxys for about half a week untill the hydros would come back in. Give or take some months i would do perks in between or whatever but i was very happy with that. it gave me that diversity and would keep me from getting hooked on just one thing. Now that was working for a while but it was just like all of a sudden out of the blue the Roxy's wasnt kicking, Op's wasn't either, ended up taking a whole 60mg and then a perk 10 cpl hours later just to say "hmm there we go". usually its kinda gradual but not this time so yea, just seems like its jumping instead of walking and each time thi
s happens it just scares me more and more and more so yea im ready for a change. it would be nice to have a 2 week roxy binge before i cold stop but yea.. lol. im ready to make the change and just from asking about and thinnking about subs so much i think i would be cheating myself if i didnt at lest try it. i dont wanna be an addict forever and yes i do want to stop. i dont have insurance anymore so a Dr. is not a option at the moment. i figure that i would try it first and if i like it then try it for at lest a few weeks and if all is good THEN take the long hard work to get into a doc. before i found this forum i had already put it in my head when the time comes i will try a quarter strip/film (2mg) and give it a whirl and then after asking friends i was told to start with a whole 8mg strip which i doubt i would even do anyways and on top of that they probably like that reaaaaal intense buzz. i dont. i have to function. I would fully intend to stop by the time my tolerance would start going up on subs and not sure if subs differ on usual opiates as far as if tolerance on subs goes up more quickly or slower. i would think slower since its something new. I can't lie even though i said previously that i wasnt asking about equivilency rates. i had already researched the subject before and i also concluded that 2mg would be the closest thing to what i take of other opiates unless someone really suggest i try 4mg but i wouldnt attempt more then that to start with. i just want my first impression to be a good one because im the type that usually doesnt give many things a second chance. like i said in my original post about morphine. i did it once and did't like it probably because i didnt do enough of it and i'll never do it again and for all i know it could be my miracle drug! anyways, my last concern is the PWD's. i tried reading over the scale but i cant trust it because i would just lie. i would only start subs on my hydro weeks since they have the shortest half-life but still not sure. all i know is that if i took my usual dose on a monday night at 8pm for example and then come tuesday night if i aint had anything by 1-2am i start to feel a little rumble in stomach, not full blown shits yet or anything. sometimes i can feel a little cold sweat or sneezing. nothing real bad untill the next day.

however long they take to kick in doesnt matter to me. i usually feel hydros pretty good within 30-45min. oxy op's and methadones, the circle ones usually take about 2 hours to really kick in and im always fine with that. as long as i know that the rush is coming im fine and i even enjoy the short time before they kick, in being in a good mood while sober.

Thanks alot guys for the support and willingness to show it. pls feel free to give me your opinions and other things i may be over looking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
Fkit---on your first post you said you took the 4-5x10mg lortabs at night before work to get thru your work, now you are saying that you have other issues that make you take Unprescribed Opiates for Mood altering rather than a Pain issue. I am NOT in the least bit trying to beat you up in any way shape or form. I want you to be happy, feel great about yourself and stop using pills unless you have a medical condition. Someone on here has to bring that up, that you started fro Mood altering, got hooked and Now Think that You need them to cope. fact is that You do Not need them to cope, in an addicted state of mind yes to cope with issues, it is almost impossible to be going thru withdrawals and then go to consuling to get help in learning how to cope without any mood altering drugs. I just don't want you to think that You need these drugs, when these drugs are the single thing that Got you into the trouble that you are in today. Thinking that taking more street drugs will help you, is not a good way to think about this. That is wrong, and will lead to further drug use, that is a scientific fact. When addicts get off of Opiates for mood altering useage, and IF they do not seek Therapy and then go thru with said therapy they will relapse. The percentages are very high for relapse, I am bringing this up because I honestly feel that You Think that You can Control Your Drug use, but You have not show any inkling of that. How can you suddenly start controlling something that is out of control in your life ??.......IMHO, and it is just that my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. You need to get yourself to a Suboxone Doctor, and get into therapy with a trained addiction consular, OR Go Cold Turkey and Not Look Back.......I will Never Condone the taking of Street Drugs as a Method of getting off of Street Drugs......You see that puts the addict in control of the drugs, and addicts do not think clearly. I wish you all the best, I posted not to beat you up, so please do not think I did. I honestly hope that something that I posted will help, i do have empathy for you, and know what you are going thru. I could Not control my use of Methadone, due to my idiot Doctor, and my own self control. I also was NOT Thinking clearly or I would have found away much much sooner to get on Suboxone. I only heard about Suboxone 3 weeks ago, I jumped at the chance t help myself, and even though I could get lortabs, roxys, etc. off the street. Those street drugs were VERY Expensive, the supply was ever spotty at best. I knew that a Doctor could help me, he could prescribe the drugs, and even thought they are legally expensive, they are still allot cheaper than the street price, and the fact that buying drugs on the street is HIGHLY Illegal. I didnt want to add being in jail on top of having this Methadone addiction problem. Just think about my ideas. Honestly you think that you can control your use of Street Drugs then, that is your choice, but I just hope that whatever you choose helps you. Even if you are taking Suboxone, buying them off the street is a bad situation. When you can take them on your own free will and then start abusing them too.....hang in there learn some coping skills, come to the forum here when you feel down or stressed, we will help you in that area. Just consider going to a Doctor and getting some Help that you so deserve !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:29 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Leesburg, FL
YOU are the only one who can decide if you need sub treatment or not. I agree with Taurus that it's not the amount of pills someone takes, although it seems easy to look at it that way. But it's more complex than that. To me, it's a matter of how out of control the person's life has gotten. How fucked up the drugs made their life. That's the question. If it's THAT bad, then to me, they are a candidate for suboxone, regardless of how little drugs they were ingesting. Or for some, they've tried and tried and tried to quit on their own and just keep relapsing and they keep taking more, like Taurus said.

Those are some more things that one must consider before suboxone treatment, in addition to the amount of pills they took. Just my two cents.

_________________
-As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:56 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
For me it's not about how outta control my using was, but whether or not I can STAY off opioids.

I don't know if people feel me with this but IMO Sub, or methadone, should be reserved for those people who can't stay off opioids on their own, or people who are pretty sure they'd relapse without it.

I know of a detox clinic that I think's found a good balance. Subi went through something similar I think. They start doing the 6 day "bupe" detox taper of a 7 day stay to get you off whatever agonist it was ... About day 5 the doctor offers the option of staying on buprenorphine maintenance. By that stage the Sub dose is low enough that cravings start to test their nerves. If they think they're gunna use when they leave, they choose Suboxone. The clinic sorts them out with a doctor and a pharmacy. If they choose abstinence and relapse and end up back in the clinic, they turn up knowing that the 2nd time abstinence option off the table.

Say if 1/10 people achieve long term abstinence successfully first try. That 1/10 would be seriously robbed if they got funneled onto maintenance because the 9/10 couldn't do it. But u gotta weight that up against the safety of the 9/10 and the harm they might suffer in their first relapse.


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
I can relate and even understand and Agree with your 2 statements. But if you read the OP's post he is buying/getting/etc. Suboxone off the Street , Rather than going to a Doctor for a prescription. I just can Not condone doing that as a genuine way to get off of Opiates. That way you are just replacing one Street Drug for another Street Drug. IMHO, anyone that is serious about getting clean needs some professional help. You just can not do it on your own and not have a relapse. The statistics prove this over and over. Yes, someone with a ton of willpower and awesome situation get themselves off of pills, but the OP is far from that situation. I just can't promote using street drugs for any logical reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
I agree that getting treatment from a doctor is the best way to go. But I don't have any problem with someone getting their sub off the street if they truly cannot afford to get it legally. My induction, including the up front cash fee and Rx fee cost close to $800. Thankfully, my bf helped me pay for the meds.

If someone can't come up with that kind of cash all at once, their choice is to either continue to buy their doc off the street a little at a time, or buy subs off the street a little at a time. Just the fact that someone would buy a partial agonist, which won't get you high like the full agonist, tells me that they are serious in their attempt at sobriety...even if it is off the street. If you don't have the cash, you don't have it. That shouldn't stop anyone from seeking recovery through sub treatment.

It is up to the individual whether or not they are willing to risk going to jail for posession of an illegal substance. They would be risking that anyway, in either case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:16 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
I see this is getting into a debate and that was not my intention but rather I am trying to side with Logic and reason here. Not to steer any one into buying/getting street drugs of ANY Kind. the OP mentioned that since he had no Health Insurance that he could not get into a Doctor, but I do NOT have Health Insurance and was able to get into a Suboxone Doctor. I called around to dozens of Doctors, you will have to ut some effort into finding the best price, etc. My findings of which relate to other people that have told of very similar cots around the USA. the average initial Doctor visit is anywhere from $100 to $250, that will get you at least a 2 week prescription of 16mg Suboxone films. next I also called around to get the very best price on the films which was at my local WalMart, another friend told me about the Manufacturer 50% OFF coupon so Iused that also at Walmart which brought the cost down to roughly $4.25/8mg film. I have confirmed this average cost with 2 other people in 2 varying places in the USA. It seems WalMart is on average a good place to buy the films, especially since they give you a 50% off when you use the RB manufacturer coupon. OK to recap, if you want to get started with a Doctor and get on Suboxone it will cost you somewhere at $250 initial visit and then $125.00 for a 2 week supply of 16mg.daily Suboxne, which totals to $375.00 for the Doctor's visit and a 2week supply of the Suboxone at a moderate 16mg daily dose. $375 to me to be legal and not to risk being arrested for a Felony is not anything to get yourself clean......OK; let's play devils advocate here and go and buy the Suboxone off the street. The going street price is somewhere round $15 to $20 per 8mg film. Someone I knew that can get them off of the street confirmed this to me. If you were to take the full 16mg daily street price a 2 week supply would be $420.00 at the lower $15/8mg film. OK that is higher than going to see a doctor and NOT having to break the law and risk getting caught on a Felony, where you would have in possession a narcotic drug.......To me this is a No-brainer it is cheaper to go see a Doctor than buy street drugs. Street drugs are just that, you get what is available and pay a premium for them, not to mention risking a FELONY. Let's go even further and say that you don't need that moderate 16mg/daily dose. let's say that you only use 4mg/day, add the street costs for a 2 week supply and they would be $105.00 which is much cheaper than the $375......To me still this is a no brainer, I can't see why anyone wold risk a Felony to save a few dollars, when in fact they are trying to get clean. Can you honestly put a price on getting clean?...............................Not to mention the whole "doing this yourself rhetoric"......trusting your own self to not keep abusing the street suboxone, when in fact you have shown that you have abused every drug that you have ever taken. Then the whole no consuling therapy deal b trying to do this by yourself. When you start using Opiates for MOOD altering then you have lost all sense of Logic and reasoning. Opiates are NOT for this specific use, there are other drugs and treatments available for that...................... I will end my request to the OP that he seek out a Doctor and please to stay away from Street Drugs. It is well worth a few extra dollars to get professional LEGAL Help. Trying to Self Medicate has shown to not work. I just hope and hope that the OP will seriously think about this. By already having an addiction problem no one needs to being arrested on top of that with a Felony conviction. That IMHO is way too much risk and cost. To the other above posters, I am not trying to argue, but I do feel very strongly that a need to buy/get Street Drugs(even if they are Suboxone) is no-way to go about solving an Addiction problem. Don't do it, take charge of your life and go see a Doctor for help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:44 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
I wasn't trying to debate necessarily...just giving my opinion, which happened to be an opposing view of the situation, which is what makes this forum such a valuable asset in recovery. If we have a problem or question, we can bring it here and get different viewpoints and perspectives from many different people, which can help us determine what the best course of action would be. This forum wouldn't have any purpose at all if we all had the same exact thoughts and feelings on every topic. I never read your post and thought that you were trying to argue at all, One day. I am not interested in arguing either. We should all be able to post our opinions without the fear of being accused of trying to start an argument. If I did say anything that sounded harsh, or anything offensive at all, I apologize.

With that said, I stated that I agree that going to a medical professional is the best route to take. But if that is not financially feasible, then there are other options...one of which would be to just stay on whatever drug you are on, and keep getting deeper and deeper into active addiction. If this is the case, then of course I'd say to go ahead and get your subs off the street.

As far as costs, I called around and ended up going to the cheapest sub clinic in my area, and my induction fee was $500, required to be paid upfront with cash...they wouldn't even accept a credit card. My first Rx for 2 weeks worth of subs (my dr prescribed me 24mg/day to begin with, not knowing how much I would need) came to a total of $254.51. This price included tax, and the $50 discount from the coupon. I called every pharmacy in my town, and Rite Aid had the lowest price, so that's where I went. I also got an Rx for Ondansetron HCl for nausea at my first appt, which cost $80.79...for a grand total of $835.30.

Without the nausea med, my full induction price would have been $754.51. Even if I was only prescribed 8mg/day, it would still be close to $600 total for the first appt and 2 week Rx. It is obviously cheaper where you live One day, but in my situation, it was very expensive. The going rate of Suboxone on the street here is about $12/film, according to the person who I used to get my hydro from. I've never bought it illegally, so I can't say for sure. The point is...a lot of times it IS cheaper to get a few at a time off the street, whether it's right or wrong. I am fortunate enough that I have never been so broke that I couldn't even buy gas or groceries, but I know a lot of people who are.

I am not trying to steer anyone into buying drugs off of the street...just looking at it from another standpoint. As long as someone is getting pills off the street anyway, they are already taking the risk of getting caught and going to jail...so nothing would change in that aspect. Either they're taking the risk to stay in active addiction, or taking the risk to give recovery a shot.

These are just my opinions, and should be taken in the spirit in which they were intended...Friendly. :wink:


Last edited by Taurus on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am
Posts: 4028
Location: Sitting at my computer
Mr. One Day ata Time sir, you do realize that your logic and your reason are just that, they're yours. My logic and my reasoning are at times different than yours, does that make me right and you wrong.....hardly. It's just a difference of opinion. Where right and wrong lay is up to the OP to decide for himself.

What I see here are people expressing their opinions, but sometimes when those opinions differ from yours, you seem to get a tad defensive. I know it's easy to do, I've done it before too. Heck, I still do it, but it doesn't make it right. Know what I mean?

_________________
Be kind to yourself. Our character defects do NOT define who we are!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
Taurus, it is Friendly, I think you and I are on the same page. I am 51 yrs old and think maybe a bit differently or I could be way off base. In all my posts I have stated up front that I am expressing my opinions and nothing more. I think You and I are on the same page.......... Now Mr Romeo, calm down..re-read my posts there is no anger, if I came across that way to you then I am sorry. And again I have stated that my posts are my opinions and nothing more. If I can dis-agree with you or anyone else that does not mean that I am dismissing your thoughts. If you took my posts that way then again I am sorry, that was Not my intention......... However you can understand that my main point about this issue is Buying off the street...that is it. I don't think that is a good idea, ever. Am I going to look down or judge someone for doing that..NO..but that does not make it right either to do something that is illegal. The Doctor route surely is the best bet. I found a way to do it, and all of you also found a way to find the money/ the time and /the effort to go to a Doctor. Something that is this important means that you do whatever you have to do to get help. And IMHO going to a Doctor is the best and Only safe means to get Suboxone. I am done wit this topic, and again if I have come across as defensive or arrogant or anyway that is dis-respectful then I am sorry and apologize, that surely was NOT My Intention....... This is the one issue about posting on the Internet that has always disappointed me. A person can not truly express him or herself accurately thru just words. Some people look at a word and think of a different meaning(which is certainly acceptable and nothing wrong with the way they TAKE those words in what they mean to the reader). When you can have a face to face meeting, people can hear your voice, your inflections in accentuating certain phrases, making certain points by tone/ etc. I just wanted to try and offer a different opinion, I honestly thought that a few of you did not get my intention about the whole Street Drug issue/////.......I would have never guessed that people would get this angry at me for stating that buying street drugs(albeit even buying/getting Suboxone off of the street)was a bad idea. But to each his own....... I would hope that in the future; that there is room for all opinions based in an honesty effort to try and help people, if not then maybe I am at the wrong place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
I just wanted to point something out to those who are against buying subs off the street for any reason whatsoever, in hopes of maybe just giving you a different perspective. (Not just you One day, there are others here who feel the same as well.) :wink:

I'm not sure what image you have in your mind when you hear the term, "getting subs off the street", but this term can entail many different scenarios. It doesn't always involve meeting some cracked out hooligan in the middle of a dark alley to do shady drug deal, not knowing if you're gonna get shanked at any second, and wondering if the cops are staking out the joint.

It could also be someone who...say they had a good friend or family member who is on sub treatment, and they told you about how well they are doing, and you decide you would like to try it for yourself. You don't have the money to pay for it for a month or two, and have to save up for a while until you can see a doctor. So your friend or family member tells you they will help you out by giving you some of their sub, since their doctor writes them scripts for more than they need, and they have a bunch saved up. So you go to their house, like you would on any normal day, and get the sub. This would be considered "getting it off the street" since it technically IS coming into possession of an illegal narcotic.

I know if I had a desperate friend who seriously wanted to quit opiates, but couldn't afford it at the time, I would probably just give them some of my sub until they could see a doctor, since I have a ton extra that I will probably never use.

In fact, when I first started getting my vicodin "off the street", it was from a family member who had a legitimate Rx, but never really needed them much, so they sold it to me every month because they could use the money. We exchanged it in the comfort of my own home. Now, what are the odds of me getting arrested doing that, when I wasn't meeting someone in some strange place, and wasn't driving off with it in my car hoping not to get pulled over and searched?

The pills rarely left my medicine cabinet. And the times when I did take them somewhere with me...even if I did get pulled over with it in my car, I had a legitimate Rx bottle that I would carry them in, because I also had a legitimate script that my doctor gave me every month. The cop wouldn't know that the pills in the bottle were not the original pills that I got from my doctor, but in fact new ones I had purchased off the street, because they had the same imprint that was documented on the Rx label.

Of course this all changed once I got deeper into addiction and needed more than my family member could supply, but I just wanted to point out that buying off the street isn't always the risk that some might imagine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:08 am 
Offline
3 Months or More
3 Months or More
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 am
Posts: 97
i was one who could not afford treatment. it was easier to buy day to day than have a lump sum and also pay the bills for the week. i had to maintain a home and family as well as may addiction. my first time on sub was off the street. ten dollars a pill. i was so happy to only spend 20$ (my husband and i) a day to feel well. the problem was it was not a for sure thing. unfortunately it came to an end and my problem lasted almost another whole year. until finally i had a tax check and was so sick of trying to quit the pills on my own and couldnt that i was able to afford a visit to the professional. so it does happen and i feel that subs is for those who have tried to quit and cant on the own. good luck and wishing u the best


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:28 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:48 pm
Posts: 1346
Location: oregon coast
One day ata Time wrote:
I see this is getting into a debate and that was not my intention but rather I am trying to side with Logic and reason here. Not to steer any one into buying/getting street drugs of ANY Kind. the OP mentioned that since he had no Health Insurance that he could not get into a Doctor, but I do NOT have Health Insurance and was able to get into a Suboxone Doctor. I called around to dozens of Doctors, you will have to ut some effort into finding the best price, etc. My findings of which relate to other people that have told of very similar cots around the USA. the average initial Doctor visit is anywhere from $100 to $250, that will get you at least a 2 week prescription of 16mg Suboxone films. next I also called around to get the very best price on the films which was at my local WalMart, another friend told me about the Manufacturer 50% OFF coupon so Iused that also at Walmart which brought the cost down to roughly $4.25/8mg film. I have confirmed this average cost with 2 other people in 2 varying places in the USA. It seems WalMart is on average a good place to buy the films, especially since they give you a 50% off when you use the RB manufacturer coupon. OK to recap, if you want to get started with a Doctor and get on Suboxone it will cost you somewhere at $250 initial visit and then $125.00 for a 2 week supply of 16mg.daily Suboxne, which totals to $375.00 for the Doctor's visit and a 2week supply of the Suboxone at a moderate 16mg daily dose. $375 to me to be legal and not to risk being arrested for a Felony is not anything to get yourself clean......OK; let's play devils advocate here and go and buy the Suboxone off the street. The going street price is somewhere round $15 to $20 per 8mg film. Someone I knew that can get them off of the street confirmed this to me. If you were to take the full 16mg daily street price a 2 week supply would be $420.00 at the lower $15/8mg film. OK that is higher than going to see a doctor and NOT having to break the law and risk getting caught on a Felony, where you would have in possession a narcotic drug.......To me this is a No-brainer it is cheaper to go see a Doctor than buy street drugs. Street drugs are just that, you get what is available and pay a premium for them, not to mention risking a FELONY. Let's go even further and say that you don't need that moderate 16mg/daily dose. let's say that you only use 4mg/day, add the street costs for a 2 week supply and they would be $105.00 which is much cheaper than the $375......To me still this is a no brainer, I can't see why anyone wold risk a Felony to save a few dollars, when in fact they are trying to get clean. Can you honestly put a price on getting clean?...............................Not to mention the whole "doing this yourself rhetoric"......trusting your own self to not keep abusing the street suboxone, when in fact you have shown that you have abused every drug that you have ever taken. Then the whole no consuling therapy deal b trying to do this by yourself. When you start using Opiates for MOOD altering then you have lost all sense of Logic and reasoning. Opiates are NOT for this specific use, there are other drugs and treatments available for that...................... I will end my request to the OP that he seek out a Doctor and please to stay away from Street Drugs. It is well worth a few extra dollars to get professional LEGAL Help. Trying to Self Medicate has shown to not work. I just hope and hope that the OP will seriously think about this. By already having an addiction problem no one needs to being arrested on top of that with a Felony conviction. That IMHO is way too much risk and cost. To the other above posters, I am not trying to argue, but I do feel very strongly that a need to buy/get Street Drugs(even if they are Suboxone) is no-way to go about solving an Addiction problem. Don't do it, take charge of your life and go see a Doctor for help.




WE ALL, (well most) risked recieving at LEAST a FELONY at one time or another. I think ENDING an addiction, (saving your life) is worth it in the end.

You, (one day at a time) used to buy Rx meds off the street also, right???

Ive heard of more than one person, starting , (like wisharer) to buy suboxone off the street and then going to a doctor. its kinda like WHY spend all that money for induction if your not even sure its gonna "work"

Im not saying this is a GREAT way to start treatment.
Im saying let's take a step back and focus on harm reduction.
In the end, thats what suboxone treatment IS.

My two cents, thats all

OH, and I know for a fact, a new member here, started this same way, on the same day (i think) as one day and saw their FIRST sub doctor last friday.
YES, awesome!!!!

_________________
anyone can give up,
its the easiest thing in the world to do, but to
hold it together, when everyone would understand if you fell apart
That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 114
I can relate to everyone that posted, what one chooses to do is their business. What I am saying is that I can Not nor will not suggest to anyone to get/buy street drugs. Whether it is from a friend or buy from a total stranger. I cold never live with myself if I gave this said person the advice to get street drugs and then they got arrested for a Felony..That is My Point, nothing else. I am not here to judge but to only offer maybe another side of an issue. We all know that going to a Doctor is the Only Real Legal way to go about getting on Suboxone. Please understand that someone needs to pint this out and stand firm, and With-Out Any Judgement. If not then everyone on here would be giving the Same Advice. When I am concerned enough to post my Opinion if everyone is stating the same opinion then I honestly try and look for another avenue to Suggest an alternative approach, that is not so bad is it ? Again; it would be very bad on my conscience if we all gave this guy the go-ahead to get/buy his Suboxone and not one of us stood firm in suggesting that he thru whatever means he has to go to a Doctor instead.....if that is an awful way to go about and I am looked down because of it, so be it...I honestly think that maybe there isnt room on here right now for me, as I have a different mindset about a few things..... You all take Care and Thnxx for all your help. I hope that all of you achieve your goals. goodbye


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
One day ata Time wrote:
Please understand that someone needs to pint this out and stand firm, and With-Out Any Judgement.


You already did point this out many times on this same thread...and it seemed to me that you were the only one doing the judging. Obviously, anyone who is saying that they condone buying off the street, like myself, is not judging...it's the exact opposite of judging.

One day ata Time wrote:
If not then everyone on here would be giving the Same Advice.


Yes, that's exactly what I said earlier in this thread when I said:
Taurus wrote:
I wasn't trying to debate necessarily...just giving my opinion, which happened to be an opposing view of the situation, which is what makes this forum such a valuable asset in recovery. If we have a problem or question, we can bring it here and get different viewpoints and perspectives from many different people, which can help us determine what the best course of action would be. This forum wouldn't have any purpose at all if we all had the same exact thoughts and feelings on every topic. We should all be able to post our opinions without the fear of being accused of trying to start an argument.


You are contradicting yourself when you say that everyone should be able to give different advice, but when we do, you want to take your toys and go home.

One day ata Time wrote:
When I am concerned enough to post my Opinion if everyone is stating the same opinion then I honestly try and look for another avenue to Suggest an alternative approach, that is not so bad is it?


No, it is not bad at all, but why do you feel the need to keep arguing when we are also just stating our opinions? Let us do the same thing that you are asking us to do. You don't have to restate the same opinion over and over again every time someone submits a new post that differs from yours. Each time I posted, I was making different points. You have said the same exact thing now numerous times in this one thread.

One day ata Time wrote:
Again; it would be very bad on my conscience if we all gave this guy the go-ahead to get/buy his Suboxone and not one of us stood firm in suggesting that he thru whatever means he has to go to a Doctor instead.....if that is an awful way to go about and I am looked down because of it, so be it


Who is looking down on you?? I just don't get this. Please quote someone who you feel was looking down on you.

One day ata Time wrote:
I honestly think that maybe there isnt room on here right now for me, as I have a different mindset about a few things..... You all take Care and Thnxx for all your help. I hope that all of you achieve your goals. goodbye


No one ever said you can't have a different mindset. You just don't have to continually take offense when people post something in contrast to your beliefs. You are doing the exact thing that you are accusing others of doing. No one was demeaning your opinions at all from what I have read.


Last edited by Taurus on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group