It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The New Guy
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Guys,
I have read many of the post in this forum as a non-member. The environment seems great and really supportive. Just let me take a moment to introduce myself I am not going to identify myself but I will tell my story.
I am a healthcare professional, but will not identify what type. I am frightened of the board coming down on me and taken some action against my license. My problem began in September of 2007. At this time my fiancé and I were expecting our first child. We where both very excited about the babies and we were looking forward to a bright future together. It is important to note that this was not any ordinary pregnancy we were expecting triplet girls. August the 29th my fiancé called me and informed that she was bleeding and cramping. I rushed her to the hospital where we later lost or miscarried the triplets. It was a very traumatic experience for she I both. We both suffered tremendously. The following week I became very sick with strep throat. I went to my primary care physician and he prescribed antibiotics and a cough medicine. The cough medicine was loratab-elixer. Later that evening after I picked up my medication I came home and took more than was prescribed. I was amazed that all of depression and negative emotional feelings vanished. I was happy and euphoric and was ready to take on the world with a huge smile on my face. After I finished this bottle I was able to con my primary care doc for another bottle of the medication. After I finished this bottle I did not ask for anymore from the doctor but I did call my mother and father an obtained some of their cough medication. After I finished these bottles I was in a “pickle”. So I then made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon with the all too common complaint of “back pain”. He was happy to help and did not think twice about writing a script for me. This due to the fact that he and I are friends we hang out socially. So he gave lortab 10's X 36 with three refills. This pushed me over the point of no return. I finished those bottles and then realized I was in bad shape. I felt horrible! All the way till November 2011 I obtained prescription opiod pain relievers from varies individuals and places. I refused to go to a doctor to obtain these drugs in an effort to hide my problem. I decided to seek treatment November 2011 reluctantly but I did. Suboxone truly saved and changed the outlook I had on life and my family. The drug did not get me high I felt no buzz from suboxone. I felt “normal”. Suboxone enabled me to change my habits enough that I was able to separate myself from the individuals who were selling our abusing opiods. I was inducted at 8 mg/day I am doing well and have lowered my dose considerable to 0.5 mg/day. This week I will begin to skip days just to see how I feel. I am scared and I need yalls support. Hope yall have had a great day thank you
This is my story. Suboxone has helped me! It is important to note that I did taper slowly. I have had few side effects and have been taken 0.5 mg/day for about 4 weeks. Again I am sure you all know that everyone is different. For the jump I do have on hand clonidine 0.1 mg PRN as an aid during my jump, I also have Sonata 10 mg for sleep. I am in no way endorsing any of these drugs please follow the advice of your own doctor. This is simply to inform you all of my situation. I plan on dictating my experience with my jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

R.Tide,

Welcome to the forum.
I am so sorry to read about your babies. I truly pray that you and your gf have the strength to deal with that.

Congrats on getting your life back ! Suboxone is a wonderful drug and it certainly saved my life.

Your story sounds very familiar. Going from Doctor to Doctor getting our DOC. Its great when you dont have to chase the pill anymore.

I look forward to hearing more of your story.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yea it is! it is really bad when you are really good friends with several doctors and trust each other..similar to bumming a smoke

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 pm 

Good job! You have obviously worked very hard to get yourself back on track. I'm so glad you were able to use sub as a tool to treat your opiate addiction! I feel the exact same way about the medication. I'm slowly tapering my dose as well, under my doctor's supervision. I am not close to jumping off, however. Before I lost control of my opiate use, I was taking pre-requisites for nursing school. I have a BA in History which I was going to use to obtain a BS in Nursing, along with accelerated coursework. Now I'm sure it would be a bad idea for me to be around opiates all of the time. Instead, I am going to pursue certification as an addictions counselor.

It must be difficult to have to keep up appearances in front of your work peers. It's a shame that certain medical boards haven't kept up with the science of addiction treatment. I have heard, for example that when nurses admit an addiction, their governing board makes it exceedingly difficult to follow all of the steps to keep their license. And I imagine that most medical boards would not allow one to practice while on suboxone, although I could be wrong about that.

Amy

Post subject: REPLY FROM SLIPPER
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi rtide and welcome to the forum.
I am also a healthcare professional and became addicted to opiates much in the same way you did. Unlike you, I stayed in this addiction for 29 years! I tried everything to get off but could not. When I heard of subutex I made an appointment and it worked! I felt normal for the first time in years. I got my life back...but all those years I practiced in the healthcare system I lied on my renewal forms for my license. I always checked no under the drugs and alcohol part. Even though i did not take patient's medication, I was doing a dis-service to my patients while on these drugs. The sad part was I could not function at work without the opiates. I would be sick and have to call in sick and try to get more drugs. I used up all my doctor friends until they became suspicious...and cut me off...then I had to Dr. shop as I did not know how to get drugs on the street. I let myself down and everyone else. I am not proud of what i have done. Most of all I ruined all those years of my life taking drugs....I wish I had found subs. earlier.

I wish you the best of luck.
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum r.tide,

So sorry to hear about your babies. It's understandable why you would want to keep taking something that made you feel better and helped you deal with your emotions at the time. That's great that you got down to such a low dose. This forum is a great place to reach out for help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Alright guys, Today is the first day without my daily morning dosage of suboxone. The days has went well and I have not noticed any physical withdrawl symptoms as of yet. Mostly mental withdrawals I would say. I have thought about my suboxone several times this morning. I am just keeping myself busy. I will give an update tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hang In there R.Tide....You know what you are doing and that the outcome will be Fabulous so stick to it. When you feel down and need to vent this is the place for it, no judging on here just people that care and want to help. It is nice to hear your story that you spoke of, as we all have a story and are all in the same boat in one way or another. Just keep your mind occupied, don't let yourself get too low, and know that You are not Alone in this fight. Bama??me too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Alright Guys! here we go an update on my progress. Since I was not feeling any physical withdrawals on the first day I did not take the 0.5mg on the second day. I am no approaching 60 hours with no dose of suboxone and I am having no withdrawals. I do realize that suboxone has a very long half life and I can expect to feel some withdrawls at 72 hours. So I guess I am going to wait on taking the suboxone until I really start having some physical symptoms of withdrawal. It is important to note that yes I am having some major psychological withdrawals. So in an effort to remedy that I have been working over, keeping busy, and walking on the treadmill. Anything to keep my occupied. I am nervous about tomorrow morning when I approach the 72 hour mark. However, If I do have withdrawal I will take the suboxone. So I will update tomorrow at some point tomorrow.

Have a great day guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so I would like to update again..it is about nine o'clock central standard time. At about seven o'clock I began cramping in my stomach and legs where jumping. I got very cold but I was sweating. I found that odd. So I took a dose of Immodium AD which stopped the stomach cramping and I took a long walk and that seem to help my leg cramps. I do not really want to dose with my suboxone but it will be necessary considering the nature of my job. I have to be very focused and percise. Oh, yes I forgot to add that I also took 0.1 mg of clonodine. That has stopped the chills and sweating for now. At ten o'clock I will take 10 mg of Sonata to help with sleeping. I am going to play it by ear and see how the night goes and then decide tomorrow morning if it is necessary to take my 0.5 mg/suboxone. I want to be off so bad, but I do feel like it is a better option than buying illegal scripts from the streets at running the risk of getting arrested and getting my license supspending. Sorry I am venting..but I want to give you all my true experience and these are the emoional symptoms and physical symptoms I am currently having.

Yall have a great night!