It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I was waiting for hours at my favorite place in the world....the dentist....NOT and was reading a parenting magazine.

There was a very short article with little info in it about a new addiction...that people are snorting bath salts and getting very high, like an intense cocaine high.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Not that i'm going to try it....but for my work....I'm still researching but if anyone has personal experience let me know...you can pm me if you don't want to post it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The neighborhood where I work has a lot of bars and clubs, and every Sat & Sun morning there is a flotsam of drug paraphanailia littering the sidewalk in front of my shop. Lately I have seen the packets of Ivory Snow or whatever else the so-called bath salts are named, so I know people around here are doing them.

They are not really bath salts, by the way. You can't get high off real bath salts, obviously. The "bath salts" that people are snorting & smoking are gray-market legal-high chemicals that you can buy online or in a head shop. The chemical is mephedrone, here's the wiki page for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone

Quote:
Mephedrone, also known as 4-methylmethcathinone (4-MMC), or 4-methylephedrone, is a synthetic stimulant and entactogen drug of the amphetamine and cathinone classes. Slang names include meph,[5] drone,[6] and MCAT.[7] It is reportedly manufactured in China and is chemically similar to the cathinone compounds found in the khat plant of eastern Africa. It comes in the form of tablets or a powder, which users can swallow, snort or inject, producing similar effects to MDMA, amphetamines and cocaine

I know some states have already made mephedrone illegal and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they are banned federally. At which point the chemists will come up with some other analog and promote that. For more info about these gray-area "legal high" chemicals you can check out Erowid.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: BATH SALTS
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Chinagirl,

I saw a couple reports of the effects of this new bath salt craze on the news and also in the paper. I've also heard from coworkers, that this stuff is everywhere! Apparently, these bath salts are the newest way for kids to try to get high (from a product that can be easily purchased at gas stations and head shops). Im not sure about other states. But, because we've had deaths (I live in Louisiana) our govenor is trying to remove this product from the community. I found this link for you-
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110131/tr_ ... bath_salts

Hope this helps. There are many other links if you just google bath salt deaths.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks you guys. I feel like I've become my parents....clueless. The last thing I found out about what that 'spice' stuff that is sold at incense. I don't think we have it here, though. Not sure. Scary!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:17 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks...I was trying to remember what the article said about the actual compound but they kept calling them bath salts, and that it was something otc or easily obtainable. I'll check out the websites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This stuff is everywhere. Convenience stores, "Head Shops" and such......and it's dangerous. Young kids are getting strung out on it and becoming sick and even violent when they can't get it for some reason or another.

My state recently outlawed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i haerd about this and i know kentucky is in the process of passing a law banning ingestion of bath salts and carrying them in certain fashions,. gas stations are starting to carry them in little packets now and apparently people actually do this!!

on a funnier note; if you want to see something funny look up comedian hal sparks - he does a bit on the bath salt thing and its hilarious, its even more funny becuase he is from ky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow that's crazy. It seems like nowadays peoPle will try anything to see if they can get high off it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Mephedrone can be very dangerous. All you have to do is type Bath Salts in google news and you will see a plethora of death reports due to using even a regular dose. The fact that it is being marketed as bath salts increases the chances of OD as the person interested in using it doesn't have in hand information and figure since it is from a headshop it must be ok. I went around to all the headshops in my area and spoke with the owners, showing them printouts and other info. None of them are willing to sell it now because they don't want any attention drawn to them as they are already selling herbal incense blends. Right now the average shop still selling herbal incense makes ~$200,000 a month off herbal incense alone. We will have to wait to see what the feds do with this. I'm afraid that marketing chems such as mephedrone will in turn make all research chemicals look bad. Though now clean, I gained a lot of insight from my use with 2c-* and do not regret it.

Does anybody else see all illegal drugs being replaced by these "grey-market" synthetics to the point that the government sees they can't control all chems and end prohibition ??