It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey everyone,

I've been reading this board for probably 3 months or so, and before I get to my point, I have a disclaimer: In all my surfing looking for information regarding sub stuff, this is the absolute BEST and MOST helpful forum out there IMO...bar none. Everyone here cares so much and is willing to take their time to help others, most of which they don’t even know..So, that being said, please don’t take the following the wrong way:
EVERY time someone (typically a newer member) posts anything having to do with getting off sub, especially when it’s in regard to a faster than normal taper situation, or small amount of time on the sub, there are 10 members that reply with how it’s not a good idea, there is statistical information showing the success/failure rate, how they need a support system, backup plan, etc. Now, I agree 100% with these replies and all of the information included in them. The folks that are replying to the OP are out to do one thing, and that is to help the individual, I’m ALL for that, and very appreciative for everyone that takes the time to reply.
But rather than reading the same reply to generally the same question, can a sticky possibly be made that would include all of this info? That way, hopefully the individual with the question can refer to, or possibly already have read the sticky. But if not, this person can be directed to it instead of having to go on about the dangers and so forth.
This sticky could also include links to other threads where people have journaled success stories and how they went about it. Maybe put some additional (outside) recourses in there as well. More of a "one-stop-shop" for people looking to get off sub, and the dangers/risks of doing it incorrectly. This way they can COMPLETELY educate themselves and make an informed decision on how they should proceed. And then if they have questions, at least they are well versed on the subject and are asking specific, educated questions.

This is just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a great idea!

Anyone who wants to compile that information, please go for it, and we can post it as a sticky thread.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Really good idea!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you are seriously onto something here. How should we gather the information that should be included?

The way you worded that was so accurate. People do make those responses because they have legitimate concerns. Then, the person who is getting the responses can feel put off, mostly by the sheer number of them. This is a great way to address a complicated issue. Two thumbs up!!! Maybe YOU could help draft it because you are good with words and come across as very balanced and objective.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would be MORE than happy to help in ANY way possible, and definitley will. Regarding the actual content though, Im not sure that Im exactly qualified in that area. People like Hatmaker, DOAQ, and a whole slew of others would, and do have so much more info and expierience.

I will look around for additional outside resources and anything else i can find though and maybe PM thet to Hatmaker or something if thats alright with her and then she, or any number of mods can kind of approve it and put it into a sticky or something.

If there is anything else that i can do, please let me know and I'll do everything I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree. That is an awesome idea because many of us get tired of writing it over and over and over again too. That would also free up the response for something more personal for a reply. I like it.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To be honest, I'm not sure I really like the idea. First, there is a reduced chance of the new person even reading the other post. And second, it doesn't give anyone the opportunity to personalize those stats specifically to the new member. At least that's the way I see it. But if it's decided to do it, I'll help out to write something up. I know I'm in the minority here.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I saw this thread I thought it was a great idea. Do you guys think a reply to a newcomer (that's thinking about stopping sub too fast etc.) could contain a link to the proposed "sticky" about this subject and also be personal at the same time? A lot of people, myself included are very lucky in that we have had a super warm welcome and tons of support from the members of this board. I totally see hatmaker's point but still think this could work. Just wanted to chime in with my $.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure I really like the idea. First, there is a reduced chance of the new person even reading the other post. And second, it doesn't give anyone the opportunity to personalize those stats specifically to the new member. At least that's the way I see it. But if it's decided to do it, I'll help out to write something up. I know I'm in the minority here.

I guess the way I see it is, if the person is here for help and cant take the 3.2 seconds to click a recommended link to a sticky that would address their question, they're not very serious about getting an answer to the question the've asked. In regard to being able to personalize the reply, to be honest, that was kind of the reason for my original post....from what I've seen, nearly every reply to this question is practically identical...sans personalization. Also, just having a sticky doesn’t mean the member replying has to direct the OP to the sticky; it would just be an available resource/option.

Either way, it was just an idea.. I thought it may be beneficial to both the individual with the inquiry, and the folks that are taking the time to reply to a reoccurring question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not trying to veto the idea, not at all. (Even if I wanted to that's not up to me.) I just wanted to be honest with my opinion. I suppose it just depends on how the "referral" to the sticky is made/written.

Why don't those of you who want to do this send me PM's of what you think the sticky should say. I'll share it with DOQ and we'll figure something out. I just don't think the sticky should completely negate anyone from stressing those stats, say if that person is particularly at risk. Plus when visitors or lurkers read that thread (but not the sticky) and nothing is in it about those stats/relapse rates, then those people won't see that information either.

Like I said, send me some of what you all would like or think it should say and we'll figure something out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hatmaker - you bring up a good point about the thread not having those opinions in it for other people who come back and read.

I don't think that the responses mentioned lack a personal nature to them necessarily because people write whatever they are thinking at the time they read the post. The reality is that most people who come here with a story of why they are getting off suboxone or wanting to probably aren't ready or haven't thought it through all the way, or might need to actually discuss some of the why's. This is a big one to me because I found the site when I had already gotten off suboxone and went off sub for all the wrong reasons. Of course once you have gone to all that effort getting off and then realize maybe you shouldn't have, you are in a tough position. This was the first place I EVER went and the first people I EVER talked to in my life who told me it was OKAY to be on suboxone. So I really NEEDED those people who questioned me at the time and when SEVERAL did question me, I realized that this wasn't the opinion of some over zealous site owner or the moderators opinion only, but I realized many people shared it and for different reasons as well as similar reasons.

I am trying to imagine my experience without all the people who replied to me and talked to me about where I was at.

I like the sticky idea and agree with Hatmaker that it would depend on what was in it. Referring people to the sticky lacks personalization. I suspect I might refer the person to it if appropriate and then still say the same thing in the thread anyways.

Hat - when I go back to my first post and Dr. J's response, I think he kind of laid it out there pretty good on what his opinions were. If a sticky were to be made, I think his points from that would be best included. I know it was quite thought provoking at the time.

I guess when I think about it I am not sure it would change anything I am doing in terms of responding to people but it would be nice to have a sticky anyways.....if it says the right thing.

Jack

- Winston Churchill