It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The most ideal taper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok first a bit of background. I'm a 35 yo male . My first taste of opiates and dependence was at a very young age(3) after being burnt quite severely. I was on a daily dose of morphine for about six months. But it wasn't until i was 15 that i first used as a means to get high. My main roa was iv. Morphine with aa homebake, poppies and even the old temgesic 0.5mg bupe. My used esculated very quickly until i was unable to maintain my habit or function. The first couple of months i used so i could get the nod. After that i used so i could feel normal or for a better word to function. I tried to kick several times without success rehab ct counselling. Then i went to methadone maintenance on what was a short term plan. I battled for 17 years to come off. I could never get below 10mg ( i was on 80) every time i did i would relapse and be back where i started. It wasn't until i discovered ibogaine and underwent the intense process that i for the first time in nearly 20 was opiate free. However this lasted a year and due to pain and personal issues i stuck another needle in my arm. Very like before my use spiralled out of control in a matter of weeks using the most i ever did in my life. Not wanting the hell the done put me thru i went for subs. They immediately wanted to push me to 32mg and knowing that i want to come down not have to i stopped dosing at 14mg much to the docs dismay. I went thru a very uncomfortable week but did stabilize. Even on that dose the massive amounts of opiates cant break thru. I gave up after two monster shots and One thousand dollars trying. Haven't craved once since. That was three months ago. I dont want to go thru a long lengthy wd. What i do know is i could drop down to 4-6mgs with almost no discomfort. I know its not going to be pleasant but i dont want to drag it out. Realistically how long should it take for me to come off? What is the best taper plan. Currently im taking 28mg 3x weekly and some weeks one dose will last three days. I would try and see if i can go four but this is all COP an if i don't go in to dose after missing more than three days i have to see a dr. I dont want to be 40 and still on subs. If ibogaine was as effective on kicking subs as done id retreat with Ibo but from my research sub is to sticky to opiate receptors and success is greatly diminished with sub. Any advice please would be helpful. I really am scared to be what i feel is a prisoner to what should be used a tool. Please help me. I'm open to chatting and hearing success and negative feedback

Post subject: Re: The most ideal taper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As you can all see in a newbie to this site. And after posting i came across the micrgram super taper thread among others. But any advice or support is greatly appreciated. I'm sure you guys get pissed getting asked this time again hence the threads on taper. But in really interested in active responses as they are much more motivating for someone like myself. If you understand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 pm 

Hi opiated, and welcome to the forum!

Your story is similar to most of ours except the part about your childhood. That must have sucked.

I understand your need for some tapering advice but my main concern is your long term sobriety. All you want is to taper and be off, but you know as well as I that being addicted to opiates goes down very deep into our brains. It takes a recovery plan to stay off them. Otherwise, all you're doing is getting clean, slipping, getting clean, etc, etc,...

What about the this last time? Just like an addict or alcoholic, you used much more when you slipped then what you were using before. Now we're talking about a possible overdose in the future. Suboxone is not meant to just replace your opiate of choice. It was intended to be a tool to help one recover from addiction. Some need it for life, others find the strength to leave it behind after a certain amount of time.

My personal opinion? Stay on Suboxone for awhile and work on your recovery. You will know when the time is right to taper and quit, if that ever comes at all.

So, sorry, no taper plan from me. Like you said, there are tons of posts on how to get 'er done. I just want you to stay alive and begin to enjoy life again.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your opinion rule. I do and have always enjoyed life but it always been under the influence of opiates. Except my year off that brought me nothing but the best feeling. Being free and really living life. While on maintenance i have gone over ten years free from any other substances and spent thousands of hours in therapy on recovery. For me i want to enjoy life without opiates again. I have all the tools and knowledge to stay off opiates. The problem is getting off them. My last relapse was due to intense pain and lack of support. I did Ibo and that is a hellish experience. Three months to feel myself again the next nine were bliss. The key to my recovery lies in a withdrawal with minimal discomfort. If i cant take it i lapse. I never craved when clean i just like withdrawal couldn't take the intense pain. I used heavy for one month in my lapse and hadn't used anything for years and on subs for 3 for me the longer i leave it the more discomfort and likely a lapse will be. I've used gabapentin for wd and they are for me amazing. I have worked my entire life even thru all wd. One week after Ibo i was back working. And its a physical job. I guess ill just check out the taper threads as sub is a very new treatment that is free here and docs have limited knowledge on this withdrawal. For most getting off is easy staying off is much harder. For me the exact opposite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:32 pm 

Tell us how you're doing with the taper. Did you find a post that looked good for you to copy their method? If I were 35 then I too would want to be off it and live a life clean and sober. For me, I just don't even think about trying to change my daily routine. The day still may come for me and I'll know for sure that my time on sub has come to an end.

Give us an update,

Rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys i have dropped from 14mg (double dosing 28mg every two days) down to 6mg daily with almost no symptoms i do dose daily now tho and find it doesn't last very long but each dose brings relief. Looking to drop to 2mg 6-4-2 over next month but will see how i go. After 2Mg i have no idea how to tackle this. Will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sitting on 4mg feeling fine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear from you! Good job getting down to 4mgs! Good for you! I'm still on bupe and plan to be for a good long while, but based on the experiences of those that I've read here, I'd say that now that you're down to around four mgs, perhaps make your dose drops smaller to minimize your withdrawal symptoms. Going from high doses down to around 4 mgs in large decrements usually doesn't produce really uncomfortable WD symptoms because your blood level is staying above the ceiling level, however, once you get below that, making your drops smaller and stabilizing at each new dose seems to be what's worked for many people who have tapered off sub. Going from 4 mgs down to 2 is a 50 % decrease, so if you find yourself too uncomfortable, maybe try going down to 3 first and stabilizing there before your next decrease.

Welp, That's all I've got for ya man, continue to read the taper threads here though,as they are full of many great plans that have worked well for people and hopefully someone else will come along with some more advice on how to proceed after reaching 2 mgs and what to possibly expect.

Thanks for the update : )

Lizzie