It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The Lurking Is Over!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:45 am 

I've been lurking here since last October, when I started my sub induction. It didn't take me long to discover the most supportive and well-regulated sub forum available. Despite being a lurker, I've been a monogamous one at least! I don't have any place in my life for lack of kindness or unnecessary debate over a decision I've already made. I picked a good forum.

This forum is also what I've needed in terms of support. I don't attend 12 step meetings so far. I went to one Smart Recovery meeting, and I'm interested in pursuing more information about it, and eventually starting my own meeting.

I was taking pre-requisite classes for a Bachelors of Nursing degree, but since admitting my addiction and noticing my lack of control around prescription narcotics, I've decided that nursing is not a good fit for me. Instead, I'm going to start working on my Level 1 Certified Addiction Counselor. Eventually, I'll probably do some graduate work in addiction therapy.

I'm 40 years old, and I have a mostly supportive husband, and a 13 year old son who is both a delight and a huge pain in the butt at times! (I think there's a reason 13 year-olds are on an emotional roller coaster. It's a combination of hormones and middle school!) I have several very supportive friends and relatives in the area. I'm fortunate that I used as a loner, so I don't have to make a new set of friends. I'm extremely grateful to the three people who dropped everything the day I decided to reach out for help.

I know that I have it a lot easier than many on this forum. I had not yet created any fires to put out or burned any bridges. I don't think I'm better than anyone else though. I'm an addict. I very easily could have wrecked my life. I think that the phrase, "There but for the grace of God go I" is very appropriate for me.

I feel as if I already know some of you, because you've been brave enough to open up about your inner life. I appreciate the guts it takes to do that, and I will try to be completely honest here as well.

Hello everybody, and thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy,

Welcome to the forum!

You said, "I know that I have it a lot easier than many on this forum. I had not yet created any fires to put out or burned any bridges. I don't think I'm better than anyone else though. I'm an addict. I very easily could have wrecked my life. I think that the phrase, "There but for the grace of God go I" is very appropriate for me. "

That's pretty close to my experience too. I never really lost anything material....except a boat load of money spent on pills!! The thing that I did lose was myself and working on getting that back has been challenging, but very rewarding too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome, Amy. It's nice to hear such positive feedback about the forum. We're glad you decided to join and participate. Thanks for sharing your story. We look forward to getting to know you. Again, welcome. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.