It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you guys think that we look a bit different while on Suboxone?

I've been looking at some photos lately, of the ones of me before I used drugs, while using, while on methadone, while abstinent and while on Sub. The worst ones were from while I was using, followed by methadone which looked a bit washed out. But what surprised me was the less noticeable difference between the ones of me while abstinent, and while on Sub. Especially one photo that must have been taken shortly after I had my dose.

It's not like I look stoned. But I do look more distant and around my eyes look a bit droopy.

Maybe I'm just growing older?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Do you guys think that we look a bit different while on Suboxone?

Absolutely NOT! Aside from the current major stress and upset that happens to be going on in my life right now, I, personally, happen to be in the best place in my life. And it shows! I'm losing weight finally (a LOT) and everyone tells me I look great. There are no indications by anyone that my 16mg + leaves me looking "stoned". Also, of all the people I know on it, none of them look stoned on it either.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't think Suboxone has made me look any different - and i know i definitely look better now (healthier) than I have in previous years! I was on methadone for a couple years when I first started treatment for addiction and I gained a ton of weight (like 30 lbs). Don't get me wrong, I would rather be a little overweight and off the oxy's than being skinnier and chasing down pills. But after i started suboxone a little over a year ago, I started to lose the weight I gained with methadone and am now down about 25 lbs from when I started. I know i'm attributing how I "look" completely to my weight (i'm a female - we often get wrapped up in the weight thing) but I also look healthier all around. When I was using oxy's and other opiates, i was kinda pale and washed out looking. Now that I'm on subs, I feel much better - which i definitely believe contributes to how I look. And I"m not knocking methadone at all because it was the first step in saving me and I don't regret the choice i made to go to the methadone clinic that one day. But overall, since I started using and abusing opiates several years ago, I definitely look and feel better now. Comparing myself now to myself prior to abusing opiates, I definitely look a little "older" which of course is natural. But I don't think i look any less healthy.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ - how much older were you between those pics? We are aging, btw. LOL I know before I started sub I was last abstinent over 3 years before that - and it was at a time in my life where the years add on fast - in my early 40's!!! Besides, using drugs does add more than the average years to our faces. Try to keep that in mind. And if I recall, you have quite a history, don't you? By that I mean it was sort of long and extended. I mean no offense, just that harsh drug use can play havoc on our bodies and that can be reflected through our faces. Try not to worry so much. Here's my green face for you: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Interesting question/concern you got there, Tj...

Anyway, I've been on Suboxone, now, for at least 6 years... Besides the tremendous
weight gain- for which I am not totally blaming all on sub- I really have not noticed all
that much of looking stoned- or over-aging, that you seem to be describing.

Well that's just my two cents...

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay. The main group of photos that stood out were one from when I was clean for 5 months two years ago in March 2010. I relapsed in May 2010 for three months, then got on Suboxone in July 2010 and I've been on it since.

There were photos from when I was clean 12 months when I was 26, but I did look younger then. I am 28 now.

The real thing was my eyes just looking distant and pupils looking smaller. I don't look pinned, but they do look smaller.

Bear in mind I'm comparing photos from when I was off all opioids to when I'm on Suboxone. The few photos of me on drugs look a LOT worse!

But I think the interferon treatment also played a role, because I did lose a lot of weight on it.

Hatmaker you have said in the past that suboxone does make some people, including yourself, look pinned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was looking at photos with my son from 1-2 yrs ago, and the ones of me while on just methadone, I totally have that 'washed out' look....
completely white, and like puffy too!!

I always had black rings under my eyes while using whatever, and I was ALWAYS sweating, even when I was just taking methadone.....

Thats the one thing I can say, I may be alittle more 'sensitive' to the cold while on subs, but I do NOT sweat profusely all the time....thats nice

and I too have lost about 30 pounds over the course of 10 months while on suboxone. its been really slow, but the doc says thats the good way to lose wieght. and I have color in my face now,,,, look like I actually see the outdoors too. (not all white as a ghost)

Just wanted to add that.
Oh, and I cant really see my pupils real well in any of the photos. I actually think my eyes look brighter while on sub than anything else. I definitely had the 'stoned' look while on methadone......(probably cuz I abused it, LOL)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, my pupils are tiny on sub, but the only way someone can see that is if they are right up in my face. It definitely doesn't show up in pictures. The only people that really would even notice it are cops, doctors/medical personnel, and probably other addicts. But that alone definitely doesn't make me look stoned or anything like that, if that's what you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tearj3rker wrote:
Okay. The main group of photos that stood out were one from when I was clean for 5 months two years ago in March 2010. I relapsed in May 2010 for three months, then got on Suboxone in July 2010 and I've been on it since.

There were photos from when I was clean 12 months when I was 26, but I did look younger then. I am 28 now.

The real thing was my eyes just looking distant and pupils looking smaller. I don't look pinned, but they do look smaller.

Bear in mind I'm comparing photos from when I was off all opioids to when I'm on Suboxone. The few photos of me on drugs look a LOT worse!

But I think the interferon treatment also played a role, because I did lose a lot of weight on it.

Hatmaker you have said in the past that suboxone does make some people, including yourself, look pinned?

I do think Suboxone makes you eyes look kinda funny. I have pics from nearly six years showing me that. My husband calls it having 'prozac eyes'. LOL. I guess it's to be expected at least a little bit. It is an opioid, right? In my opinion, it seems like the color of your eyes makes it either more or less noticeable. My eyes are blue and very light and if my pupils are off at all, it is soooo obvious.

LT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is what the Sub film website says about it:

Be aware that SUBOXONE Film can change the size of your pupils and cause differences in levels of consciousness. This may affect:

* A doctor's evaluation of you if you've experienced a head injury
* Safe driving

You should also note that pupil size is one method law enforcement officers use to evaluate drivers when they suspect intoxication.

You should know: Use caution while taking SUBOXONE Film and driving or operating machinery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After hearing those stories about DUI's on Suboxone, that's important info thanks Laddertipper. I can't believe that law enforcement and medicine have such different views on addiction recovery, but anyway.

I have blue eyes as well, which wasn't useful in my using. I remember being envious of all the Vietnamese I knocked around with because they could get away with it a lot easier.

For the most part on Sub, I think it's only noticeable shortly after having it. A couple of weeks ago I was visiting my mother just after having my dose, and she looked at my eyes and asked if I was on drugs. "Your eyes look small." She knows this look from in my addiction. I was a bit hurt, and stormed off, which didn't help my cause at all. Then I told her the only explanation could have been the Suboxone. My now ex-girlfriend said that occasionally Sub made me look a bit pinned.

I guess it depends on who's looking, and whether they know what to look for. I know for a FACT that if I rocked up to an NA meeting in the hours after I'd had a dose, most ex-opioid users I talked to up close would know. I know that because I could usually tell when I was talking to a person on Sub (over 4mg or so) at a meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah the only difference Ive noticed is the smaller pupil size. I remember back a few years when I started dating my current wife for the firs time since getting clean (we dated for a couple years on and off when I as still using). At the time I had been clean for a year and I was thinking about coming off sub. What made me keep taking sub maintenance was a combo of finding suboxontalkzone.com and the fact that Ashley told me I looked and acted like I did before I started using opiates/heroin. We went to highschool together and dated off and on then too. I was shocked considering I didn't tell her I was on bupe maintenance until wed been dating a few months after I got out of treatment lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I also have blue eyes and am told i look glassy eyed by people when I have taken a dose. It does make you pin eyed depending on the dosage you are required to take though. I take 4 mg no diference in my eyes but 8mg it does effect my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

As far as looking "different" I think I'm to early in subuxone to tell the difference. I do know that opiates have taken a toll on my body I'm 10 lbs. lighter nd hv a skeleton/ unhealthy appearance compared to being tanned, blonde and toned. I know the back to "normal" feeling hasn't come back as of yet. Do subs deplete your body of any nutrients???..I feel muscle tone not being restored or maybe even being depleted for some reason...Hard to explain I suppose??!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nah I don't it depletes nutrients as such. But I can only speak for myself.

It can take time to build your body back up after spending a while in the trenches. Try to eat really well and do some light/moderate exercise or body weight exercises. I just came out of an intense liver treatment maybe 10kgs underweight? Heaps of protein, quality food (avoid macdonalds), sustagen, whatever you can and you'll be back in no time.

Also maybe see your doc and get your bloods done to see if you're lacking anything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

After years of opiate use (prescribed for injuries sustained in Iraq & cancer) I never knew what withdrawls were until having to deal with the Department of Veteran Affairs. These guys are a joke in SC and I was on high doses of opiates (60mg Morphine 3x daily, 15mg Oxycodone 3x daily AND Fentynal 75mcg 1 every 3 days) and for people who don't know the way the VA works, they pay for next day delivery BUT not next day Saturday (like there's a fucking difference). Needless to say my meds were shipped from Charleston VA on Friday but wouldn't be at my house till Monday but the problem is for the 1st time in almost 7 years I would run out of my meds until Monday NIGHT (When UPS guy comes to my house always around 6pm).

Well Sunday morning came and needless to say I ended up in the ER from vommitting so much in a 1/2 the day I was completely dehydrated. Well the ER doctor comes in my room, sits on my bed, looks at me and says (I'll NEVER forget these words because I felt so belitted), "Hmmm, what are we going to do about your drug problem?" I looked at him with the 1000 mile stare and almost flipped but my wife stopped me from talking and luckly she's going to school to be a RN and began talking to him on the "Medical" level. After she explained what had happened and that in 7 years I NEVER once ran out of medication, that I was only in there because of dehydration and the fact she (my wife) made me come because I didn't want to. The next thing I knew, I was on fluids, 4mg IV Dilaudid, 12mg Zophran and a prescription for 21 (8mg dilaudid tabs) and 21 oxycodone (15mg) NO Fent because he couldn't write for that out of the ER.

Well after seeing how I felt, I realized that the VA is "doping" veterans up, especially Iraqi and Afganistan Veterans to keep us "dependent" on them and keep coming. I decided to get off the opiates (for a little while to drop my tolerance) and ended up on Suboxone. Well I was on Suboxone and off opiates for about 5 months and besides the extreme pain spells I had because of my injuries I wasn't in bad shape. I looked good, wasn't worried about that sickness I got because the Suboxone made me feel "normal" if you will. I can say when I was on Suboxone it really stopped my eating because I was NEVER hungry so I lost a lot of weight. That was one benefit I could say about Suboxone a lot of people don't mention.

Well I had an incident where I ended up in the ER with Pancreatitis and if you know that pain it causes, it's EXTREME. I had a 1200 level lipase count, as well as inflammed pancreas (shown in CT Scan). Needless to say when the admitting doctor found out I was on Suboxone he immediately flipped the "help you" switch to "druggie" and didn't want to prescribe me pain meds until he reviewed this further. My wife (yet Again saves my ass) talks to the doctor, explains what had happened, why I was on Suboxone, and what was required to help manage my pain as a 4mg shot of diluadid supposibly wouldn't help. He was so nervous about giving me 16mg IV Diluadid that he almost put me into the ICU because I needed to be monitored while on that dose but he tried 8mg first, seen it didn't help and then did 16mg and seen that it knocked the pain out (I got that rush too for the first time in a long time lol).

So needless to say I'm on my medications but happy to announce that I currently only take 3 (15mg) oxycodone daily (and sometimes less maybe 1 or 2 per day) and manage my pain with streching and other stuff as well as my medication. It's just nice to not be on much medicine and feeling trapped because until I suffered my first (and only) withdrawl (due to the Depart of VA) it was enough to make me realize these meds are NO BUENO!

Sorry I had to put that out there but I feel happy because if it wasn't for Suboxone I would still be on massive amounts of opiates and wouldn't even realize the reality of using these medications but I do not think Suboxone makes you look different unless of course you don't eat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Supposedly skin dulls while on strong pain meds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Not at all man, I left school in Nov 2012 for rehab, I went back a few days ago visit and see friends. Not addict just typical college kids who use coke or mdma on weekend and drink on weekend. Was in a frat so i suspect one kid will become an addict but he only used blues once in a while IDk how but some people can do it and suspect some are/will become alcoholics. But anyways, im on subs and everyone I looked great and obviously much better than when I was in full blown relapse and shooting dope/pills. I think youre fine