It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The leg thing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After going through all the bad w/d of suboxone , at 5 weeks still having bad leg pain / weakness. Started treadmill today and have been doing calcium / glucosamine / vit D and trying to drink more water , any suggestions? this sucks....

Steveo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't have the leg pain so much, but my legs certainly seemed to be really weak for a good while after I quit. I just kept on trying to rehabilitate them by pushing myself to walk more, get up and be active more....simple stuff like that.

It took a while, but the weakness is completely gone now and I don't have any leg pain to speak of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah the weakness is a bigger issue...I stand for 8 hrs at work so if I aint strengthening them there I aint gonna..workin on it though......

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey stevo,

Strangely enough, it wasn't all muscular....it seemed related to the Sympathetic Nervous System issues I had when I quit Suboxone too. So you're right, exercise (or standing all day) alone won't make it go away. As the nervous system repairs itself, you should start to see improvements.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but I would think the SNS issues, if you even have any, would contribute to the leg pains?

My SNS symptoms consisted mostly of the shakes. The shakes seemed to cause a loss of strength in my legs and arms. Again, nothing that you're body won't be able to repair in time.

For me, I just dealt with it. I don't mean to sound rude or anything like that, but that was my best strategy for dealing with all of my wd symptoms, I just learned to deal with them and I had complete faith that they would eventually get better....and they did!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

"I just learned to deal with them and I had complete faith that they would eventually get better....and they did!!
"
dont seem rude to me^ , Im pretty much just dealing with it , but if some relief came along Id dig that too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really identify with this one. I thought I was never going to get the leg pain, because I didn't have it for any of my taper and kept wondering what in the world people were talking about. Well, never say never, right. :D Now this is my most annoying symptom and you're right....it's so annoying!! I call it cavity legs. BTW, I also get really weak very easily and my legs tremble and start to kinda buckle after any decent physical exertion.

I'm using Motrin and/or Aleve. I'm taking lots of vitamins, including potassium. I do stretch sometimes, because it feels like there is some sort of lactic acid built up in there that needs to get out. I'm also going to ask my doctor for Neurontin next time I see him, which I am pretty sure is going to help a whole lot. I'd recommend trying the Neurontin.

laddertipper

Post subject: Re: The leg thing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am so glad I found this!! I completed the sub program a while ago. Have been off it for 3 weeks now but my legs have been more than I can deal with almost. I feel pretty darn good otherwise. The legs during the day are just irritating, but at night I cant sleep its so bad. I tried everything and didnt have any idea why my legs hurt so bad. Did the usual, Vitamin D, potassium, more water and nothing works. Was really starting to worry there was something seriously wrong with me. I dont have a regular Dr so going in for a million tests was not an option. Glad I found this forum after putting the 2 things together as the possible cause. Just wish there was something to help at night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

karmalita2 wrote:
I am so glad I found this!! I completed the sub program a while ago. Have been off it for 3 weeks now but my legs have been more than I can deal with almost. I feel pretty darn good otherwise. The legs during the day are just irritating, but at night I cant sleep its so bad. I tried everything and didnt have any idea why my legs hurt so bad. Did the usual, Vitamin D, potassium, more water and nothing works. Was really starting to worry there was something seriously wrong with me. I dont have a regular Dr so going in for a million tests was not an option. Glad I found this forum after putting the 2 things together as the possible cause. Just wish there was something to help at night.

Hey Karmalita,

I was always a "suffer in silence" type with my withdrawal symptoms, thinking that A) I either deserved it or B) there wasn't anything that could be done about it anyway. So in the past, I always suffered through the leg issues (RLS/ weakness/ pain.)

I'm now off everything (suboxone included.) I'm currently pregnant and have had major leg issues for most of my pregnancy, apparently it's pretty common. It feel just like withdrawal symptoms and is so uncomfortable. I finally decided to bring it up to my doctor who urged me to take a strong magnesium/ calcium combo vitamin. It's helped SO much. Have you tried these particular supplements? A magnesium deficiency can make the leg stuff so much worse, from what I've been told by both my OB and my nutritionist. I think I take about 650/mgs of mag. If you haven't tried this, please do!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

In fact I am now. Only 2 days into trying a calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement and it is working. A gf suggested it and I have slept the last 2 nights. I cant even tell you how good that feels. Still have the nagging irritation of it during the day but I can handle that. The not being able to sleep at night was a nightmare. So to everyone who hasn't tried it, I hope you will because trying to stay clean when you're in pain creates a paradox. You want to stay clean because you came this far, but being in pain and not being able to sleep makes you question whether it was really worth it. I highly recommend to everyone that is dealing with what was the last side effect for me, to give this a try. It has really helped me. Sleep is a pleasure we sometimes take for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just to add it in this this thread, as Thomas' Recipe does include magnesium and such, but if you are stopping suboxone, I would recommend following this guide (it is aimed at cold turkey from a shorter acting opiate but you can adjust as necessary):

Link: http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-con ... 35169.html

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium (Baked potatoes have 4x the potassium as bananas) if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"