It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just had to post something on here today because last night I had a very bad experience. Just some info first. I have been on suboxone for about a year and one month. I have been in and out of recovery for the last 5-6 years. This is the 2nd time that I have been on Suboxone treatment also! OK! SO! I go to NA meetings pretty much every day of the week. I have a home group (not so much lately), a sponsor (that supports/understands Suboxone), and I am working steps. I work a good program. HOWEVER. Last night this "know it all" or "elitist" guy that always shares about how much clean time he has and how hard it was in the beginning, shared about this kid that got a white key tag for taking hydrocodone for pain because he broke his leg. He said that it ISN'T a relapse because NA says that if you need a medicine that is going to help you to function normally and it is prescribed by a doctor...then that is totally ok to do no matter if it is a narcotic drug or not. NOW. He then went on to say that Suboxone does not fall under this same category because it is a medicine prescribed by doctors to treat addiction...and NA is the ONLY solution for recovery/treating addiction! He knows that I am on Suboxone (some how) and always shares RIGHT after me about how terrible opiate replacement is because it DIDN'T work for him! NOW...he is always sharing about how in early recovery he hated the feeling of being totally abstinent and was alllwwayyss relapsing alll the time! That leads me to believe that when he was taking Suboxone, he was taking it to try and get "high" off of it and treated it as such...just another drug. This is totally the wrong way to take this medicine. I take it because it has given me my life back, it allows me to lead a normal life without using, I treat people much better today, I tried living without it for ten months and couldn't do it, I love myself today, ect. ANYONE that says that you are NUMB or DONT feel any emotions or are "HIGH" all the time or "Should just go use dope if you are going to take Subs because they are the same thing!"....they need to educate themselves. Suboxone IS NOT right for some people. Some people just can't take it properly and it becomes a demon in their life. BUT don't go out and slander such a great recovery tool that has saved numerous lives because you can't take it correctly or aren't addicted to opiates and are mad because there is no Cocaoxone! This is why tons of normies all hate subs because people have shown them that you CAN treat it badly or like just another drug.

Thanks for reading.

If you have a similar experience, I would LOVE to hear your take on things![font=Courier New] [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear ya brotha.

Quote:
and NA is the ONLY solution for recovery/treating addiction!

This is the thing about NA. Their demeaning attitude towards other recovery methods is NOT isolated to Suboxone. If anything they can look down more on other forms of abstinence based recovery because they kinda see it as a threat that people can stay clean without doing NA? Because it's "NA or death", so everybody who's clean outside the rooms must be lying?

That really irks me.

MovieMaker if you so desire to stay in the rooms, the real trick would be to learn to "take what you need and leave the rest". Whenever you start to hear something that's bad for your recovery - put downs or war stories or whatever - let your mind wander over the playmate of the month or something. Then return.

Because of NA's religious / spiritual aspect, and as with all religions, some people can become zealots and lose perspective of the world outside NA. I was one of them once. In a way it's not their fault too. The more damaged a person walks into the rooms, the more NA-shit they gotta patch themselves up with to feel okay. So in a way those who preach the program like that are the most damaged? :shock:

Just because Suboxone didn't work for him doesn't necessarily mean he was using it to get high. For years Suboxone and methadone didn't work for me really. They might have added a tiny bit of stability, but I still wanted to use. When I was in NA, I was one of the ones who got up there and said "drug replacement never worked for me", because it hadn't, and it still wouldn't be working now if I didn't get that 13 months clean and learn how to live without drugs. But at the same time I would get up there at 12 months clean or whatever and say "I do think people on Suboxone can get good recovery" and tell the lil story about my moment of growth and healing on Subs. Methadone too people grow and recover on (I'll be controversial though and say not as much as Suboxone, because to me Subs is closer to being clean).

Have you considered asking the guy about his experience with Suboxone? You never know.

OH one more important thing. It's really important not to try to change the views of these people, because it's hopeless. I had some REAL good friends in those rooms, yet the moment I chose to do it alone they dropped me and didn't believe I was clean. Occasionally I rock up to meetings though, and faces are different every 6 months! Doesn't say much for the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im sorry you've got a sub-hater in your presence :roll:

But I think tear gave you some really good advise,,, to "take what you need and leave the rest"

I know, much easier said than done!!

Ive found an AA group I like alot..............and they seem a bit more tolerant of suboxone therapy. Wierd, I know :wink:

Anyway, know that you arent the only one, there may even be other people there on suboxone too afraid to say anything. I found out there were five others in my 'group' on saturday nights, that are on sub too. Only after I had been going for a few months.

Obviously what your doing this time around is working, so KEEP IT UP !!!!!!!
and let the haters hate :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In my area the NA meetings always seem to have a lot of illegal drug activity in the parking lot..OK, that's not fair to say because I've only actually been to 3 NA meetings in my life- so that's a VERY small sample size.. It's prolly coincidence, but all 3 times I watched open air drug deals take place (twice before the meeting and once after)..

I agree with Amber about AA.. It could just be that I'm more perceptive at NA, but I don't really get that same vibe at the AA meetings here.. I personally won't go to anymore NA meetings because of it.. I do feel kinda bad saying that because I'm sure NA is great- for whatever reason they just haven't worked out for me