It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: On the hour, every hour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Every night it’s yhe same thing. I ty to go to bed around nine. Nod I a don out until about 1:00 . Than I finally fall asleep. Have ptsd so my dreams are already messed up but subs just ad to that craziness.

So what can I do for this. I wake up atleast once every hour. I go smoke a cig then I nod back off. Almost like being on a nasty pain pill. I don’t have cravings which is good but my sleep life sucks. What can I do for this. My current meds are.

Gabapentin.
Remeron
Risperdal
800 mg ibuprofen.
. 25 x day of klonopin.

I have to get this under control.

The Remeron used to give me a a good nights rest. Now I just stay awake nodding in and out. The two tech is so frustrating and my dreams suck. I’m also on 6 mg of prazosin for the nightmares but I see no relief.

So folks who are experienced in the med. what can I do to ease these side effects?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also sorry for the chicken scratch. My iPad is slower than my typing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Not having PTSD is probably the reason you're not getting any responses. I don't suffer from it and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. My best friend is a retired peace officer and has the same trouble sleeping. He refuses to take any drug whatsoever so no help there.

All I can say is try to find a doctor who specializes in your disorder. You may need a different mix of drugs or none at all. Who am I to say? It just sucks reading your story.

Keep searching. Maybe you'll get lucky and find the right physician to help you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A few observations. I don't know how wise it is to smoke cigarettes every hour during the night. I suggest that you do some research on sleep hygiene. If you can't get any relief after implementing sleep hygiene suggestions perhaps consult a sleep medicine clinic or sleep center. Welcome to the forum and best of luck in finding a resolution to your frustrating sleep issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

JD has a point. Nicotine is a stimulant last time I checked. Try the warm milk instead. That always worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buprenorphine allows for full tolerance, which minimizes side effects. People sometimes get the classic opioid symptoms-- mostly hot flashes, sweats, and constipation-- but few other side effects.

I don't know what your tolerance was like before buprenorphine, and how long you've been taking the medication, but buprenorphine anchors tolerance to a relatively low level. If a person is using 100 mg of oxycodone or a gram of heroin per day or more, and goes on buprenorphine, that person will have low-level withdrawal for a month or two caused by 'tolerance mismatch'. The symptoms are so mild that people usually don't recognize them and doctors don't discuss them, but they can include mild insomnia. After a month or two, tolerance adjusts to the new level of receptor stimulation.

But the comments about sleep hygiene and nicotine are spot-on... and the interactions between your psychotropic meds are going to be unpredictable and hard to sort out. One thing to remember with Remeron-- it is more sedating in LOWER doses, and activating in higher doses. I'd recommend sorting through the meds and finding a better combination- e.g. maybe Seroquel can replace risperidone.