It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So, today is starting my sixth day sober. The first four days I took suboxone when needed. I ended up only needing 3 8mg strips. So that means that today was my first day without any opiates or subs. However, i have taken adderall a few times. But the way I see it is that my addiction is with opiates, manly h, so taking adderall every now & then is okay. Is that just the addict in me talking, or is it ok? Since I made the choice to get clean I've been reading blogs/forums for at least two hours a day, and it has me terrified coming off suboxone. So I had a friend tell me that taking clonodine or trazodone helps with the w/d is this corred?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum MommaBear!

Your friend is correct, the clonidine and trazadone can be of help during withdrawal symptoms, IF they are needed. I would make a suggestion not to over-think the process and believe you will even require those meds. You may not even need them to be honest based on your situation. You didn't mention any current symptoms so you may not need them at all.

And I personally believe taking the adderall may indeed be drug seeking behavior. Addicts all the time have to be taking "something" Momma. We always feel the need to be taking some kind of pill or other substance. We need to get away from that kind of addictive behavior. Do you REALLY need it right now anyway? Or do the symptoms feel like you could manage without taking any of it if you were being honest with yourself? No judgment, I'm only asking?

Taking the Suboxone for only 4 days, and a total of 24mg during that time may not produce withdrawals that require any of those drugs. But if you do need them at some point, both the clonidine and trazadone are known to produce good results by those that have used them in the past. I have used the clonodine and it did help with my symptoms at the time..

I would be more concerned about the length of time you were on the subs Momma. You said you took it "when needed" which is NOT the way subs are intended to be taken. They are written to be taken as part of a therapy program to help get you off of your drug of choice. They are NEVER prescribed to be taken on an as needed basis!

And honestly being on subs for ONLY 4 days is not usually near a long enough period of time to be of any real help.

I know you didn't ask for any additional info other than about the 2 drugs clonidine and trazadone, but I felt it necessary to let you know a little more about how subs based on knowledge, education, and experience. Take care and all my best to you Momma.

And congratulations on your 6 days without taking any opiate! Good job! :D

Karen xoxo