It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello,
I know corny subject line. Yet I do feel that the sub is very great and powerful, so for me, its spot on. I have learned to read and listen to many people here on this forum and its made a world of difference on how I think, feel and even act about suboxone. Dont get me wrong, I have a brain and I can make my own decisions. Yet the great and powerful sub needs to be respected, so I read and take to heart the real life stories and experiences you people have on this forum. Thank you all!! I even like reading about the people who are totally in denial and bash sub, because I learn from them too!
Anyway, after just 8 days on sub, I finally feel right on 1mg taken in the morning, followed by taking 2 liquid tylenol pain pills in the afternnon. Just once a day dosing for me. I was thinking of breaking it up to 2 or 3 dosing times for pain control but it just does not work for me. I get real good pain control with the 1 mg at once in the morning and help with pain with the OTC stuff later.
My question is, when do I plan a taper? I talked to the drug addiction counselor yesterday and he told me he still needs to evaluate me. I am totally ok with that, nothing to hide, I was totally honest with him. He told me on what he has seen so far is that I truly had a physical addiction, yet he is not sure how much of the mental part has taken hold of me. Seemed logical. All I know is that my biggest trigger to use pain meds is being in pain itself. Not mental anguish but real physical pain and all I want is relief. Anyway, I really do not want to be on this drug long, yet want to do the right way for me. Any ideas, advice? thanks, ciao

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome justdoit4u!

I'm in a boat similar to yours. I have lived my life with type 1 juvenile diabetes and experience a lot of pain. Through therapy and being on subs for 2 1/2 years, I realized that the pain meds I was taking for so long was making the pain worse. I was so sensitive to every ache and pain. I'm almost 16 days off subs and am still dealing with pain, but is not nearly as bad when I was on all that pain medication.

I started on subs at 16 mgs a day and got all the way down to lower than .1 mg a day over those 2.5 years.
You are on a small amount but everyone is different when it comes to tapering. You have to do it on your timing.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

P.S.,, By the way I have read about some of the most successful experiences on this forum. They almost always have something in common, they have a good attitude and have some fun once in awhile. They tend to be very positive and help others when needed, I truly respect that. Also i know by helping others, it can, and will, help yourself!! ciao, again

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks okbyme,
Yeah, pain just simply sucks!!! Congrats on 16 days!!! Good job, you're doing it! I have noticed my pain is not as bad as when I was taking the pills, yet it is still bad enough. Your words were encouraging and I will have to see how this plays out. Again, good job on 16 days!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks justdoit!

You are so right about encouraging others in the fact that it helps yourself as well. Your words mean so much to me.

Let me know if I can ever help you or offer any support!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Okbyme,
Thanks, and I will take you up on your offer for help and support. I dosed today with .8mg just for the heck of it, see how I feel. I will wait and see if I need the other .2mg. I really have no timetable, I just want to help with some of my pain and of course take away any feeling of wanting to get back on pain pills. I never once screwed up with my pain management doctor, so she supports any decision that I make. I have read a lot about successful stories, some were long term sub users and others short term. Long term- anything over a year. Short term- anywhere from 2 weeks-6 months. I am not sure what is best for me. I also here that people that use sub short term tend to relapse more and that scares me. I am going to a counselor and he seems to really know his stuff. His own addiction lasted 25 years and he has been clean now for over 20 years!! I will listen to him!!!
Anyway, I am rambling, I appreciate your support. Please let me know how you are doing. Good things happening or you just need to vent some frustration, its great to talk to people who understand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Justdoit4u,

I've also found that the people who have good attitudes and a healthy sense of humor are some of the most successful recovering addicts I've encountered. I've also found that those folks who help others are successful too. I think helping others is beneficial in many ways, one of those being it keeps our recovery fresh.

As far as your question of when to taper.....I'd work with your counselor on that one. He has 25 years of addiction and 20 years clean time, he sounds like he can really help you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo,
For sure. I will be talking to the counselor. I am amazed on how good I feel on just .8mg today. The only thing happening right now is I wake up after about 4 hours sleep, toss and turn, get out of bed awhile, then usually go back to sleep for another 3 hours or so. Been happening every night, but thats pretty much it. Wake up with the headache once in awhile but goes away especially after my dose. Anyway, appreciate your message.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im kinda confused about one thing regarding your taper question, if you are dosing to relieve chronic pain why would you want to rush off of it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

B,
I believe I will be able to use non-opiate meds to control my pain well enough. I feel better now, then I have felt in along time. My pain is less, yes the sub helps that but I believe that my positive attitude, exercise, and good eating has contributed a lot. Only taking roughly 1 mg or less a day. Showed the pain doc all of my packages today and she was amazed how little of the sub I used the last 12 days. I am not going to rush off the sub, I am going to talk to counselor about the whole thing, get opinions from him and the pain doc. Anyway I do not plan to be on sub long term, just not sure when I am going to taper down and start using other meds when in pain(non-narcotic).