It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Michael. I've been addicted to opiates for over 2 years now. The drug(s) I've turned to were morphine, codeine, and other opium alkaloids. In other words, Poppy Seed Tea. I'm in my mid-late 20's and I've been a very good student. I've been on the Dean's List, was an executive member of a University Club, participated in and coordinated volunteering efforts, and had a healthy relationship with my loved ones and friends. You can probably guess how the story goes from there. I scratched by my senior year in University and was able to be accepted into Medical School. Since then, my life has consistently gone down a gradient. Luckily, the gradient hasn't been unforgivingly steep, but I realized I needed my life back. This past Thursday, my girlfriend caught me in a lie. She found a bottle of tea when I told her she's crazy for thinking I would do that. Even thought she's caught me lying a number of times, she's stuck with me. I think she knows how much I care for her, and I explain that it's not me when I do this. It's a wiring in my brain that eliminates the thought or consequences that may come from it. I akin it to blacking out.

I was worried to get treatment due to the fact it may come back to bite me. After that episode with my girlfriend, I said to myself this will have been the last one. I got to see a doctor for help, and on Monday morning I will begin my treatment.

I guess I came here to share this with everyone is that I feel any support I can be apart of will help me. I plan on becoming a regular here. To become a member of the community little by little, and to share my experiences and knowledge to those who ask.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:20 pm 

Hey Michael,
Well, welcome to the forum . Theres plenty to learn here.
Uno, its great that you still have many many things in life to work towards, this is xo important to me in early recovery. I purpose in life and family all around.

I get that lieing bit.. We do turn into a monster in active addiction. I sure did..but..with over 4 years down s d counting life is going well.

Im sure you will do great Michael.

Please make sure you go over to Dr Junigs Talkzone and read as much as you can there. Owner and founder here.
Read his story, it ll blow ya away..

So glad you found help now ..And keep posting ..

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you razor.

I've been reading an absorbing like a sponge. Congratulations on your success, and for believing in mine. I am looking forward to interacting with the community.

Regards

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:18 pm 

Welcome, Michael!

We are glad you are here and we will provide support and answer any questions the best we can. You are so wise for getting help! The beauty of buprenorphine is that you can continue on with your life without a large interruption. That was crucial for me because I didn't want my addiction to affect my 13 year old son's life. If I had had to go to inpatient treatment or go through a long detox he would have had his life disrupted considerably.

Since you are planning to become a doctor, most likely with prescribing privileges, you will have to be very careful that your addiction doesn't come back with a vengeance. Dr. Junig, who provides this forum, was an anesthesiologist, but became addicted to opiates. I don't know the entire timeline, but he was sober for 7 years before his addiction reared its ugly head. He has changed specialties and now practices psychiatry. He helps many, many addicts in a myriad of ways and through prescribing buprenorphine medications. There is a link to his "Talk Zone" at the top of the page where you can access the multiple articles he has written on the subject of addiction. You may have questions that can be answered there, but feel free to ask questions here on the forum as well.

I wish you good luck at your appt. tomorrow! You have made a wonderful decision to start a life of recovery!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I just got finished eating lunch following my appointment. I was inducted on 8 mg. At one point I wanted to say I still had some anxiety and hot flashes to be prescribed more. I was hoping to get about 12mg total daily. My mind suggested that I should do this because I'll have extra to abuse. I stopped that idea dead in its tracks. The rational part of my thought emphasized that this is the exact behavior you're trying to put behind you. I promptly told the nurse that I am comfortable and "I guess it just kicked in more". I am blessed to have a great doctor. I know 8mg is high, and I will tell him how I feel. I want to earn his trust so I will make no moves without communication. My insurance doesn't cover the films, so after this month I will ask if he can switch me to Zubsolv if the cost is too high on Suboxone. This is technically all "off the books" so the smaller the paper trail the better.

In addition to the medication, he gave me information about a program run around the area. I plan on attending that as well as seeking a counselor who specializes in substance abuse or addiction. Either way, I just wanted to share with those who may be interested. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:26 pm 

Way to go Mike!! Inducted and feeling fine!
Love it..
It is important to have other recovery plans in place too. Glad to hear that.

As you may have read about the ceiling effect, 8 mgs could be the right dose for you. Sounds like it.

I dont recall you saying how high or just what your habit was, but as loug as craving are kept at bay you will do well....

Thanks for the update sir..keep posting and ask any thing you might have a question about..

Wonderful spring day..huh...

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Razor,

Unfortunately it's pouring here! The sun is struggling to break through, but hopefully it eventually does. Hope you're doing well. As far as my habit, it was basically about 2.5 lbs of poppy seed tea per day, maybe even 3.75 lbs on days I wanted to get high. It's roughly equivalent to 150-500mg morphine. Even thought PST has a long half life, I would start to feel the w/d's the morning after. I took about 11 loperamide tablets the day I started feeling w/d and it took away the stomach problems, but I still felt agitated and anxious. I consider myself a strong willed individual, and the w/d's were never really the issue with me. It was the long mental war I fought daily that wore my will down and caused me to buy more. Finding any excuse you could to justify use was the problem.

I found what Dr. Junig said to be very compelling. Someone trying to understand their own unconsciousness is an exercise in futility. That's what I would do, well, try to do. I'm glad I have some support in my corner. Thank you very much for the kind words. Have a great day.

Regards

As a funny aside, my Dr told me this was the first time he inducted someone using PST. He had to google it to figure out what it was initially. Haha. This whole experience has changed my perspective, and I may even try to get into the profession of helping people like myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Mike,

I understand the "off the books" issue. I work for a very large hospital and healthcare system, so I go out to the suburbs to a doctor that has a private practice and little to no connection to my organization. You know how Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) are, once it gets entered it's there for good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morphing,

You got that right. I never got a diagnosis code (ICD-9). I decided against filing a claim with my insurance and against using insurance for fills. My doctor has very reasonable prices, $250 for initial and $100 every month.

The past two days have been rough. Initially, I've felt fine. W/D gone, no cravings. A few hours later I'd get horrible indigestion and moderate headaches. I've been taking prilosec and BUPAP. Threw up yesterday after lunch. I ate something this morning before I am going to take my meds to see if that changes anything. Also, I'm going to spit the saliva out. Whether that has basis for the mechanism or it's just placebo, I don't care. I just don't want those acid burps. I was literally drinking baking soda water. Hope everyone has a great day. I'll check in later.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Michael,

Yes, I would try spitting out the saliva after it's absorbed. I didn't know about that until after I had finally gotten use to the med. The headaches were the worst side-effect for me, although the nausea came in a close second. After 3-4 weeks it finally subsided, although I do have to take Rolaids from time to time (good thing the bupe is absorbed sublingually, so that the calcium doesn't interfere with it).

Your doctor's pricing is about the same as mine, except the follow-ups are only $85.00. There is a "drug mill" in town that only accepts cash and charges outrageous rates. I feel sorry for the patients that have to go there.

Hang in there, your body will adapt soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I'm pleased to announce that I do not have a headache nor do I have the acid burps! I did spit out the saliva. Like I said I don't know if it's placebo or it really makes a difference, but I couldn't care less.

Glad to hear you have a reasonably priced doc. This stuff is expensive, and I plan on using my tax refund for my first purchase. Have you tried anything other than brand name suboxone? Eg: Zubsolv or the generic? I know these doctors are very hesitant to prescribe anything else, whether it be from kickbacks from the RB or whatever, but holy hell. 30 strips for just under $300. I have the discount card which will bring that down, but I'm just trying to find the most economical route. I will do some searching around here for some advice, but just wondering if you may have any info off the top of your head.

Thanks Morphing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I use my insurance for the prescription, so it's a flat rate ($60.00) per month for Suboxone 8mg. The insurance company had made a mistake and I was overcharged for some diabetic supplies, so for a couple months all my prescriptions were no charge until they had refunded all of the overcharged amount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Michael,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and congratulate you on starting your recovery! It sounds like you have found a good doctor, having someone you trust who understands suboxone treatment is a huge plus. I totally get why you would be fearful of the medical records following you around if you are planning on a career in the medical field. Luckily, you seem to have found a way to minimize the damage with that one.

I'm glad you found that spitting your saliva helped with the initial nausea and headaches you were experiencing. I just wanted to point out that both of those side effects are very common in the first few weeks of bupe treatment, so at some point you may find that it is okay to forego that extra step. Either way, I'm glad you made it work for you and that you are doing well.

Again, welcome!

Q