It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Gang!

Has anyone had trouble getting BRAND Subutex?

A few days ago while getting my prescription filled, my pharmacist informed me that they were OUT of brand Subutex. She said they'd been trying to get it in, but couldn't. She added that (because several other patients prefer it over the generic), she called whomever they get it from.....asking if/when they're pharmacy could get more, and "They" couldn't give her any further info.

She said she's afraid that the BRAND Subutex isn't gonna be manufactured anymore.

This is kinda upsetting for me. Although the generic Subutex is ALOT less expensive, I felt like the BRAND Subutex worked better!

I searched online lastnight, to see if I could find any information. The only thing I found was a forum, where a couple people were discussing experiencing the same thing at they're pharmacy.......pharmacist telling them Brand is NOT being made any longer.
(wwwaddictionsurvivors.org)

Have any of you had difficulty getting BRAND Subutex, or heard anything about BRAND not being manufactured anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't offer you any information on your current situation, but I do remember back some time ago when Subutex, if I recall correctly, had a manufacturing problem and people had some trouble getting their subutex. Let's hope they are not discontinuing it and it's only a minor glitch for you guys who take the brand name.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Hat!

Yhea, I was pretty shocked when the pharmacist said that. I told her "Its not that the generic dosen't work, the brand just works better IMO." She said she's heard that from several people.

Another thing that sucks........I JUST got health insurance, which would have paid for most of it. Before, if I were to get 60, 8mg BRAND Subutex and pay cash.....It cost me over $700!

At least I can still get generic Subutex. and it costs me NOTHING!! Yhep, 60, 8mg Roxa........COST ME NOTHING!! (Besides my doctor visit) CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just switched from suboxone to subutex.i got the roxann brand generic.it takes forever to dissple and its very hard to cut.tue i go to the dr for another script and i wanted to try the name brand.does it split easier? also what is the dissolve time? It takes a good 20 min for 2 8mg pills to dissolve and i have to help it along.thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Melijm!

Yes, the brand Subutex splits MUCH easier! For one, (IMO) its not as hard as the generic. Secondly, the brand Subutex has a little score line in the center......which makes for easy/equal splitting. I feel like with the generic, its alot harder to get even pieces, or to break it w/out it crumbling.

How long have you been taking the generic Subutex? Do you feel like it works as well as regular Suboxone?

Oh, and as far a dissolve time.....I do think the brand dissolves a little quicker. The only thing is, because of its shape (the brand is a longer, oval tablet), I have a difficult time keeping the pill in place. This has screwed up my absorption many times.

So, have you heard anything about the brand Subutex not being made anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I get my meds at my shop rite and they had to order the films for me but apparantly they already stock the name brand tex.ive been on it for a month and feel just as good as when i took suboxone.i think suboxone screwed up my joints though.i'm feeling a slight difference,not much.i think the ultimate problem is my dose is too high.16mg.want to cut to 12 but its too hard with the roxanns.i have a hard time staying awake when i sit down in the evening and i just dont "wake up" early like i used too.used to be up by 6 or 6:30 and now i feel like i could sleep all morning.hate it.

Post subject: TO MARIE:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

marie wrote:
Thanks Hat!

Yhea, I was pretty shocked when the pharmacist said that. I told her "Its not that the generic dosen't work, the brand just works better IMO." She said she's heard that from several people.

Another thing that sucks........I JUST got health insurance, which would have paid for most of it. Before, if I were to get 60, 8mg BRAND Subutex and pay cash.....It cost me over $700!

At least I can still get generic Subutex. and it costs me NOTHING!! Yhep, 60, 8mg Roxa........COST ME NOTHING!! (Besides y doctor visit) CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!!

Marie,

I can't believe that would cost you over 700.00!! I am in Texas and the same thing would cost me (without ins)98.00??
I can get 60 Roxan...........for $10.00 with my ins. card. I took the brand name and funny..i like the generic better....to me it seems they melt faster than the brand name. I haven't heard anything about taking brand name subutex off the market,in fact, I have a friend that just got her's refilled...brand name...........Judy

Post subject: HOLY SHI#!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I decided to switch from suboxone to subutex due to joint problems to see if it helped.Last month I got raxan generic subutex for 140.00,they were ok but took forever to dissolve and you cant cut them to lower dose as they fall apart.Today I went to my Dr and decided I would try the name brand...well for 60 8mg tabs it was....drum roll....643.00 !!!!! I nearly died! I thought subutex was supposed to be cheaper than the 402.00 equivalent in suboxone? Its not worth me paying an extra 500+$ for a scored tablet.The only difference is they are scored,in fact some of them had broken in the bottle and they dissolve much much quicker.I guess I will go back to the generic next month.Wondering if there is another kind of generic that is scored.Seems these drug companys have people over a barrel.For that price I may as well go back to using.LOL.Nah...wouldnt do that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes brand name Subutex is the most expensive of them all. I had no idea you didn't know that or I would have warned you. It cam be confusing because people refer to the generics as subutex a lot of the time and they mean generic subutex is cheaper. There are 2 other generics available, I don't know if they are scored but I know there have been some posts about the others so you could read more about them. You will probably have to ask your pharmacy to order them for you. I have read a few posts of people not being happy with the roxanna version and switching. I think one is made by midlothian and can't remember the other. I hope you find one that works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Guys,

Lastnight, I began searching again.....to see if I could find any other information about Brand Subutex NOT being made any longer.

I stumbled across a site, where the site administrator Dr. Rich.....talks about Subutex, brand and generic. He states that doctors are receiving letters from Reckitt Benckiser, informing them that are no longer making Subutex, but that the generic form of Subutex will still be available.....from other manufacturers.

Dr. Rich also goes into explaining how "He believes" Suboxone works. It appears that this doctor feels that the Naloxone in Suboxone is what creates a ceiling effect. And, because Subutex dosen't have the Naloxone.....its more dangerous, can be diverted easier, and that those taking it CAN get high from it (because it lacks Naloxone).

From what I've read on Dr. Junig's blog, its NOT the Naloxone which creates the ceiling......its because the Bupe attatches so tightly to our receptors. Am I understanding this correctly?

http://www.allaboutsuboxone.com/subutex ... continued/

http://oxycontintreatmentdirectory.com/ ... continued/

BTW, I saw my post on this site. Is this site affiliated with Dr. Junig in any way?

http://www.allaboutsuboxone.com/the-dis ... d-subutex/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm 
marie wrote:
From what I've read on Dr. Junig's blog, its NOT the Naloxone which creates the ceiling......its because the Bupe attatches so tightly to our receptors. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

marie wrote:

I stumbled across a site, where the site administrator Dr. Rich.....talks about Subutex, brand and generic. He states that doctors are receiving letters from Reckitt Benckiser, informing them that are no longer making Subutex, but that the generic form of Subutex will still be available.....from other manufacturers.

About a week and a half ago, my shitty Doc made an off-hand remark about receiving a letter from "the DEA" (?) about generic buprenorphine being discontinued and I've been pulling out my hair, searching for back-up information, hoping this isn't the case!

At my appointment, my (shitty) doc said he "suspects" buprenorphine-based medication that doesn't contain naloxone will be discontinued, agrees it should be discontinued, then promptly changed the subject. Though I'm not ENTIRELY comforted knowing Reckitt is discontinuing Subutex, as an uninsured patient switched from my preferred generics to Suboxone film (patient assistance program) it's a LOT better than hearing ALL generic competition will be removed from the market!

Thank you, Marie, for the very helpful links and my accompanying sigh of relief, even if the sigh turns out temporary!

By the way, regarding generic formulations -

A few months ago, they were thick and circular, took quite a while to dissolve and were produced by Roxanne Laboratories.

Currently, my pills are triangle-shaped, dissolve quicker, and are produced by Teva Laboratories out of Tel Aviv.

I have no idea if Roxanne has discontinued their generic, but I ended up with a bottle of generics this month, due to an erroneously written prescription. Since I had a sinking feeling generics wouldn't be around for long, I borrowed $230 after calling RB to request delaying patient assistance another month if opting to purchase the accidentally-written generic scrip rather than paying doctor-phone-tag simply to approve the film.

Their answer..."we'll seeeeee...."

With patient assistance, it may seem I have little room to complain. But being poor enough to qualify for patient assistance means living hand-to-mouth while simultaneously taking measures to ensure your future.

I honestly believe RB's discontinuation of it's OWN drug ties in with long-term marketing strategy to prove buprenorphine WITHOUT naloxone is unsafe, effectively eliminating and/or scaring off generic competition, therefore allowing the company to continue its monopoly of a much-needed, life-saving drug until 2025. Altering the formulation from tablet to film was as Dr. Junig very eloquently points out -

Suboxone vs Buprenorphine: Organized Ignorance?

was a genius business move - at the expense of lives lost...those living on or near the poverty line and the millions of uninsured who have NO OTHER OPTION than generic.

After 2025, who knows RB's next tactic? Suboxone-brand nasal spray? Suboxone-brand trans-dermal patches? Suboxone-brand eye drops ("100% of patients prefer the non-existent flavor!")?

Hope I'm alive to see it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Very quick -

I do not believe "Dr. Rich" and Dr. Jeffrey Junig are affiliated.

"Dr. Rich," is the "blogging name of Dr. Richard Senyszyn, a psychiatrist based in Maui:

Dr. Richard Senyszyn Wailuku Psychiatrist and Addiction Treatment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:26 pm 
I'm not 100% sure what the deal is what with so many people in general being full of shit and stuff, but my Walgreens stopped getting Roxane buprenorphine and is now gettingTeva because "Roxane buprenorphine is unavailable."

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ok, now Im TOTALLY freaking out!

Does this mean that the Roxane Generic is being discontinued too? Travis, did your pharmacy say if this was just for they're store.....or, is this the end of generic Subutex for Roxane Labs? Im very worried.

Post subject: Generic Subutex.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am 
marie wrote:
Ok, now Im TOTALLY freaking out!

Does this mean that the Roxane Generic is being discontinued too? Travis, did your pharmacy say if this was just for they're store.....or, is this the end of generic Subutex for Roxane Labs? Im very worried.

Stay calm....I'll do some more investigating, but for now my pharmacist told me that he wasn't sure why but for the "time being" Roxane buprenorphinewas unavailable, whatever that means. I've gotten Teva 8mg Buprenorphine Hcl my last two fills, which costs about ten dollars more/monthly (as I pay cash), which isn't really signifigant. Both Generic Subutex I've tried so far (Roxane and Teva) work just fine, honestly with the Teva's I've gotten of late I've noticed that they seem to absorb a little better because they cause less saliva to build up in my mouth. I don't see generic Subutex going anywhere, honestly.

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My last script at CVS I received the Roxane brand of generic and it was about 3 weeks ago. I guess I will see what I get next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
My last script at CVS I received the Roxane brand of generic and it was about 3 weeks ago. I guess I will see what I get next time.

[font=Lucida Console] [/font]

Hi all.
this is my story...
I filled my Subutex script (Brand name) one week ago today.
I have about 10 left
I'm currently taking 3 8MG a day.

I'm filling my script last week and my pharmacist tells me ...

"Oh, didn't Barbara (My Normal Pharmacist - not her real name) tell you last week...they aren't making the name brand [b]Subutex any more[/b]...we have a few here and that's what we have been giving you , but after i give you these 40 to fill your script , ill have 4 left and you have to go to generic."

I was floored.
Devastated.
I've tried the generic, I've been on Subutex religiously for 6 years now. i haven't looked at a Vicodin/Perc/oxy since I started...
and i do not like to screw with my meds man....

To go from 24mg a day to a different drug....its not safe man, and i have a few more days before ill have to deal with this.

so, my question is...is this true?
are they not making the brand name anymore?

or is this temporary or what?

cause when i heard it, i told myself i wouldnt worry about this for a week...because i dont like worrying about pills anymore, then i feel like an addict again

but now, im worried.

so has anyone else heard this officially like i heard it from my pharmacist? that they are done...or is there hope?

Godspeed to us all...

Father Murphy

Post subject: Man
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 pm 
fatherMurphy wrote:
To go from 24mg a day to a different drug....its not safe man

Luckily, Subutex is buprenorphine hcl and generic Subutex is Buprenorphine hcl. Buprenorphine hcl is Buprenorphine hcl, man.

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 am 
Just wanted to update as I said I would when I got more informtion on Roxane Buprenorphine being unavailable for a period of time in my area... I had been on Roxane Buprenorphine since Subutex became generic then for a period of time my pharmacy had difficulty getting Roxane pills and switched to Teva. Today I filled and my pharmacy is getting Roxane bupe again, so they're still making them. I noticed no difference between namebrand Subutex, Teva Buprenorphine hcl and Roxane Buprenorphine hcl except varying prices.

-Travis