It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:26 am 
umm..I can't figure how to delete a post to save my soul..

Post subject: Brand Subutex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw my doctor today and he said that starting in January he received a letter that said Brand Subutex would no longer be available only the generic from Teva and R&B. He also said the letter said to give the generic subutex to females that were pregnant only. I started to say something about it and he yelled at me and said listen to what I said............

So I guess the Brand Subutex is going away and only the generic will be available.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

nomoremommyfood wrote:
Very quick -

I do not believe "Dr. Rich" and Dr. Jeffrey Junig are affiliated.

"Dr. Rich," is the "blogging name of Dr. Richard Senyszyn, a psychiatrist based in Maui:

Dr. Richard Senyszyn Wailuku Psychiatrist and Addiction Treatment

You're right in that Dr Junig has nothing to do with this guy. A while back, the mods realised this "Dr. Rich" was taking posts from this forum and putting them on his blog, some kind of script that did it automatically. I did some research, DNS searching etc. And he isn't a doctor at all, rather he works for a marketing company based in California. The purpose of his site, I still haven't figured it out. What he posts strangely seems to help the manufacturer's interests though - ie stating naloxone creates ceiling effect - which is basically promoting Suboxone over generic Subutex.

As for naloxone creating the ceiling effect. Absolute bollocks. The "ceiling effect" was promoted long before Suboxone was even invented, back when I was on Subutex a decade ago.

I've noticed a lot of people feel the generics don't work as well. This would be because of bioavailability. What they used to do in Australia & UK, to prevent people spitting out their doses. They'd get a pill crusher, and apply pressure to the tablets such that they'd break into "chunks" instead of powder. This would also increase absorbtion, as there'd be more surface area to work with. Maybe give it a try?

I'm concerned that Suboxone tablets may have the same fate. Maybe RB's concerned such a move would push more people onto generics?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: Brand Subutex
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ReRaise wrote:
He also said the letter said to give the generic subutex to females that were pregnant only. I started to say something about it and he yelled at me and said listen to what I said............

So I guess the Brand Subutex is going away and only the generic will be available.

Jim

Except, by making the generic available only to pregnant women (which actually makes little sense because, as far as I know, buprenorphine's effects on the unborn fetus haven't been extensively studied), also makes the drug completely unavailable to low or no income patients, including the many, many Americans without insurance.

But I'm still wondering about this letter that seems to be going around - I heard something from my doc a while ago and couldn't get any follow-up information. Was the letter from the DEA? The FDA? Or Reckitt-Benkiser?

The third option is most infuriating...but less scary.

Particularly if anyone has read the Bloomberg article...

Reckitt Kicks Heroin Tablet Habit With Coke-Style Coupons for Film: Retail

...lauding RB's patent-extending ploy (strips) as an effective business decision to drive away the generic market.

I won't slam on a business-related article for highlighting the efforts of one corporation to increase it's revenue. But at what point does it become apparent that eliminating generic versions of life-saving medication costs human lives? Of course, I've got a feeling that if the value of a human life affected diabetes or heart disease is considered a bit more valuable than that of a heroin addict.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

:?: I saw my doctor a few days ago and was told that generic Subutex was being discontinued. I thought that he might have been talking about RB discontinuing the brand Subutex, but now I see that others have been told the same thing. I had read that RB had plan to stop manufacturing it once the patent had expired but assumed the generics would be around for a while. It wasn't that long ago that the patent expired, why would the pharmicutical companies begin to manufacture a drug and then just stop? Does this happen often with generics? I asked him if he was sure that it wasn't just the brand being discontinued and he said yes. He mentioned that he understood it to be bad news for me because of the cost difference (cash patient) and told me that he had the forms for the patient assistance program when the time comes. Suboxone was such a miserable & unsuccessful experience for me. The difference between the two were night and day. I am hoping that maybe since I have been on subutex for about 9 months that I can switch over without feeling any different.
Does anyone know for sure if this information is correct? Oh an by the way is there a place on this forum to list pharmacy prices for cash patients? In phoenix 30 Roxanne Subutex @ Walmart is $108, 30 Roxanne @ CVS $145, 30 Teva @ Walgreens $123, & 30 Roxanne @ Costco $97. You do not need to be a member at Costco to fill prescriptions. These prices are current as of 12/25/2011.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I hope this isn't true. I've been on Subutex for about a yr 1/2, (ever since I discovered I was pregnant). I've remained on Subutex after having my baby. I've gotta say, as a pt who plans on taking Sub longterm......I prefer to NOT have the extra ingredient in my body (Naloxone). If this discontinuance of Subutex is accurate, WTF will they do about pregnant women or those whom are allergic to Naloxone? And what about the many, many addicts who can barely afford to pay for generic Subutex......will they now be SOL......once forced to go on Suboxone, or relapse?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am not sure but from the reading I've done, it is just name brand Subutex that would be affected. The generics would continue to be made. If Subutex is pulled I think it's because R&B is not selling much of it per their add campaigns for Suboxone.

I am on bup and hope it continues to be made, it saves me a ton of money and I feel better on it.

Post subject: Re: generic bupe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy_Ann wrote:
I am not sure but from the reading I've done, it is just name brand Subutex that would be affected. The generics would continue to be made. If Subutex is pulled I think it's because R&B is not selling much of it per their add campaigns for Suboxone.

I am on bup and hope it continues to be made, it saves me a ton of money and I feel better on it.

Yes- I really hope that they do keep making generic bupe- and that it will continue to be available, too.
This is because my insurance might stop covering my Suboxone- without much warning- and I then will
have to pay out-of-pocket for my subs. Luckily, I have already asked my sub doc if he would be willing
to prescribe me the generic bupe, and- thankfully- he said yes, that he would be.

So, I am very interested in how this situation will turn out.

-ex-

Post subject: JUST AN UPDATE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I had an appt with my Sub doc yesterday. I told him about my concern for generic Sub eventually being discontinued.

My doctor hadn't heard that this was a possibility..........I TAKE THIS AS A GOOD SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't have any problems filling my script at the pharmacy either (besides the fact that they only had 30 in stock).

I was frightened that they were gonna tell me that the generic had been pulled as well. Thankfully, generic Sub is still here!!

*If anyone else (on Subutex) has an update.....please post it.
Im sure positive updates will help calm the fears for those of us whom are on Subutex.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Please do not fear the discontinuation of generic Subutex. As a pharmacist for 35 years, I can tell you that I have seen this happen many times. RB is discontinuing the brand name because they are not selling any. Since the generic came on the market the sales of the branded product has plummeted. Even people with high incomes will not pay for a brand name drug when there is a much less expensive generic (this was not always the case, but healthcare dollars and our perception of value has changed over the years). RB discontinuing their product has absolutely nothing to do w/ the product itself. Just follow the money.

On the other side of this coin, when the generic comes out, research also slows to a trickle. The companies making the generic are not the ones putting their dollars into research. The big problem here is that if you have a drug that is still being researched and new indications are a possibility, they will never be studied because there is no money to be made. The Suboxone Film is an obvious patent extending product. That is not a problem in my mind, I think it is a great product, but I am glad people have a choice. In years to come, another company will come out w/ a film too and RB will loose there patent on that. Rest assured that there are people working for RB right now who are spending their time thinking of another way to deliver buprenorphine.

The best part of all of this is that the success of Suboxone tells me that there is lots of money to be made in this field. I am hoping that there are other companies and doctors thinking of new and even better ways to put addiction in remission.

I hope this makes you feel better and worry less about this life saving medication.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 pm 
knowitnow wrote:
Please do not fear the discontinuation of generic Subutex. As a pharmacist for 35 years, I can tell you that I have seen this happen many times. RB is discontinuing the brand name because they are not selling any. Since the generic came on the market the sales of the branded product has plummeted. Even people with high incomes will not pay for a brand name drug when there is a much less expensive generic (this was not always the case, but healthcare dollars and our perception of value has changed over the years). RB discontinuing their product has absolutely nothing to do w/ the product itself. Just follow the money.

On the other side of this coin, when the generic comes out, research also slows to a trickle. The companies making the generic are not the ones putting their dollars into research. The big problem here is that if you have a drug that is still being researched and new indications are a possibility, they will never be studied because there is no money to be made. The Suboxone Film is an obvious patent extending product. That is not a problem in my mind, I think it is a great product, but I am glad people have a choice. In years to come, another company will come out w/ a film too and RB will loose there patent on that. Rest assured that there are people working for RB right now who are spending their time thinking of another way to deliver buprenorphine.

The best part of all of this is that the success of Suboxone tells me that there is lots of money to be made in this field. I am hoping that there are other companies and doctors thinking of new and even better ways to put addiction in remission.

I hope this makes you feel better and worry less about this life saving medication.

My doctor had an almost identical opinion when I asked him his take on RB discontinuing Subutex. I'm not really worried about the generic going anywhere anytime soon!

-T

Post subject: Name brand subutex
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The name brand subutex as you know by now is being discontinued by RB.. I find it disturbing that they are doing this for reasons other than the ones the company has stated im sure. We all know they have been not making the cash from subutex they once did before the generics came out and they have been distancing themselves from their own product. The money is in suboxone! Plain and simple... More so these strips they are pushing hard! I have taken suboxone for 5 years before switching to subutex a year ago because it was making me very sick. I first tried the generics(Roxanne) and was a little disappointed and asked for the name brand subutex the next time.. My insurance at the time still covered name brands at a higher copay. I found the brand name to be much better! It was clear to me this is what I need to get to feel my best. Few months later my pharmacist at the time who was a great guy told me my insurance no longer will cover brand. I was furious! I called the insurance filed complaints which did nothing... I ever emailed RB and they were not concerned about anything but these suboxone strips. Anyways I've tried the 3 different generics I've heard of the Roxanne-which is usually what I get when I fill my script 95% of the time here in rhode island, another made by Hi-Tech Pharm- seemed very weak and finally I asked my pharmacy(target) who I had been very loyal to if they could order teva brand for me please. They said sure...I got them for my refill and I noticed they were very similar to the name brand, closer than anything else I've tried anyways . Well target tells me they were not able to order them anymore and gave me a lame explanation. I knew it must be about cost and profit.. So I just want to find a pharmacy that has teva or will order them for me. I just lost my job/ insurance so I'm paying cash full price so hopefully I can get them ordered easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have experienced serious adverse effects with the generic Hi Tech brand (2mg). I filed an FDA Medwatch report.

Here is my original post: http://www.suboxforum.com/one-week-taking-tech-generic-subutex-t7538.html#p102475