It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The cost of suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been an addict for 20 years. I have tried rehab several times and I have experience with just about every method known for coming off of opiates. Suboxone works best for people that are just interested in being able to function normally and have stopped pursuing getting high. If someone is really serious and determined to be clean suboxone can really help if used correctly. But tbh most that I know that are on it only pursue it so they can either trade it or sale it so they can purchase their drug of choice. From what I have seen most doctors that prescribe it are in it for the money and not to help addicts get clean. In my area most doctors charge $100 a week to prescribe it and thats not even including what the pharmacy charges to fill the prescription. Thats just crazy to me because everyone knows that by the time an addict is ready to get help they have no resources cause they have exhausted everything they have when they were actively drug seeking. Every person I know that is on it has to sell half of what the doctor prescribes to people on the street just to be able to pay the doctor's fee and pay the pharmacy for getting them filled. This totally defeats the purpose of what suboxone is suppose to be for cause it keeps the addict in the destructive cycle of addiction and involves illegal activity. But like I said if the patient takes the drug just as directed by a doctor it can be beneficial. But if addicts were able to stick to how drugs were prescribe then they wouldnt be addicts to begin with.

Post subject: Re: The cost of suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sadly, i have to agree with a lot of what you said. I am very fortunate that my sub doctor really cares about his patients. He says it's his calling & he understands addiction because his brother died from drugs. He saw his brother fail and fail again even though he went to the best rehabs etc. This was before suboxone.

I pay out of pocket for the monthly visits. I have earned them, never a dirty urine, never missing an appointment. He has you come back weekly for the first month & then only if you may sell or abuse.

There are 3 sub docs in my area & 2 are good but the third could care less how many urines you fail as long as you have the $200. It's a cattle call on the last friday of every month. He is in it for the money, period.

I asked my doctor why he expects addicts to have money for the appt and his answer was they have money everyday for their dope. If they are serious about recovery they will find the money. I do know he works (financially) with addicts that are in it for recovery.

Not everyone i know on sub sells it or abuses it. Sub can save a life but the person has to work at recovery. No pill or film will work if we don't put effort into recovery and change.

Are you on sub?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 pm 

Suboxone has giving me a chance at life again and for that I guess its hard to put a price on that. BUT I agree it really is too expensive. And yes we addicts did whatever we had to do to buy our pills but are these doctors saying.....if u want recovery go steal something and pawn it for ur monthly fee like u did when u used. Not everyone is lucky enough to have insurance and unfortunately I'm one of those ppl. I pay $350 for my monthly visit and $378 for my months worth of medicine. That is a house payment and more. Even though I do think that the expense us addicts have to pay for this treatment is way to much, I always feel bad for complaining about it because the peace of mind and happiness I have today because of this medicine is priceless. It would be so nice if there was some type of help for us with no insurance besides coupons to save on the medication. That being said though, I see addicts in my area that are completely down with no cash and I know how lucky I am and how lucky I was to have been able to pull it together cash wise just to enter this treatment. So yes I think we pay way too much, and that's keeping a lot of addicts from being able to enter this treatment. A lot of clinics don't accept insurance and the meds is all that gets covered. In my immediate area, there isn't any doctors office's u can go to for sub treatment, only clinics. I hope this changes somehow in the future so that more ppl can get help like us. We are lucky. My neighbors are addicts, and I heard their electric, water, phone and everything is shut off because they couldn't pay it. Yet they're still using. I feel blessed to be out of that life, so I try not to complain but feel for ppl who cannot afford it. Anyway lol that's my rant, *lower the sub prices world* lol.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to say that my last post was in reply to what Tiki said and I hadnt read what Jenn said until after I posted it lol I hope I am not confusing anyone lol I am new to how these forums work lol.

But Jenn you took the words right out of my mouth on a few things. Also I do totally agree that the peace of mind you are getting is priceless. I am so glad to hear that you are making big improvments against this disease.

I have been to rehab several times. I first was addicted to roxies then I got on methadone. METHADONE IS THE HARDEST SUBSTANCE TO DETOX FROM. It gets in your bone marrow. I was in the hospital for 3 months detoxing from it. It was a living hell. My b/p stayed at 200/120 the entire time. I had to be pushed around in a wheel chair. Anyway outta everything that has been said to me about addiction there was one thing a doctor told me that really made me think. He said that there are only 3 ways out of addiction...
1) locked up (jail)
2) covered up (dead)
3) sobered up
You all have probably heard that before but it gave me chill bumps. I just know that I can not continue to do what I am having to do to get the suboxone so I dont know what is gonna happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 pm 

Though the cost of treatment, any treatment in the US is not cheap,ever
most of the time there isnt much we can do about it.
While it was thought that someday, with generics coming on to the market we could see a drop in price.
This didnt happen. May never happen. So what can we do? Be grateful? Yes. But there are a few things I do.
First off the new discount card by Recket has changed and is now in line with the makers Zubslov.
Tomorrow my discount will be cut by over a hundred dollars. It all depends on the dose you are taking. I
find this as a huge savings. But thats for film takers. How is the generic market and its costs? Zubslov and
its savings.
Drs and clinics in any field of medicine do make money, but itcall depends on how there set up is.Most Drs
have hoops to jump though if they do decide to offer sub treatment. Some are always better than others. If
tbere is no ins, as i have none, I found a place that drops the monthly price as my time there gos on.
It seems to me that treatment may be front loaded as 100 a week was to me. I now pay 62 a month, but it has
takin me 3 years to get there.
I wish this med and treatment for anyone who wants it. But like so much in medicine, we have to pay for it..and i am grateful. ...
If your on the films, please pick up the new card. Up to 225 off your monthly script. .