It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all,

I recently went to the dentist to have some work done. Like many people I hate going in for any dental work. As some of you may recall, I have fibromyalgia. I say this because often when I get anxious and tense I may end up in a painful flare-up for days because of it. So I accepted my dentist's offer of using nitrous oxide. I was sufficiently relaxed enough to avoid a flare-up and to be honest, I enjoyed the relaxation.

At the time a small part of me questioned whether using the nitrous constituted some kind of relapse. But after thinking about it and talking it over with a friend, I came to the conclusion that it didn't. I didn't obsess over it or feel any need to repeat the process.

I'm posting this topic mostly out of curiosity to see how other people feel about the subject. I'm interested to see what the general consensus is on this.

Mel

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm 
My opinion - You did absolutely nothing wrong. I hate going to the dentist also. At this point I'm scared to go because it's been so long I know I'm going to need some stuff done!! I've never had nitrous or any meds to help with the "dental experience" and I've had plenty of dental work done. Maybe that's the problem!!.....I should've had some pharmacological assistance all these years!! Maybe then I wouldn't hate going so much!! lol!
No, really, I think we addicts in recovery sometimes just overthink this sort of thing. You still deserve to have whatever type of medication you need to deal with dental or medical problems that may arise.
Just my opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, setmefree, I agree. I did question myself for a short time, but it didn't last too long.

And I thought this might be an interesting topic - if only to see how everyone feels about it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You already know my opinion but I will share it for the group.......OVERTHINKING :) Had you stolen the tank and taken it home to get high....I might be concerned. But you didn't and the dentist sucks and you don't like the dentist so I think it is just fine EVEN if you liked it. I mean.....you also like benadryl but that isn't a relapse right? :lol: !!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know, I know. I guess I was just curious if other people hesitate using nitrous at the dentist while they're in recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Anyone who has been to a Phish or Grateful Dead show has seen people abuse the good ol "hippie crack"... getting it at your doctors office is a whole other story. I know you know this hat, but for other people..... if your doctor recommends you take something for pain or any other reason than it is okay to do it (IMO at least, and that is what I have been told by medical professionals). I have heard some of the more extreme steppers suggest not taking any otc pain meds even. Crazy talk imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Having nitrous oxide at the dentist's is a relapse?

Your friend sounds like some kind of recovery zealot.

Would having an epidural in labour be a relapse? I don't think so. If it's being used for legitimate painkilling purposes, and not abused, then it ain't a relapse. However, if you weren't actually in any pain, and you accepted it anyway because of how it'd make you feel... then that'd be pushing it IMO. But in this case only you would know within yourself whether or not you have relapsed.

Attitudes like this remind me of some of the people in NA who gossiped that I'd relapsed because I got put back on Seroquel.

In summary. Nitrous oxide in the dentist's office for analgesia = not relapse.
Sucking down nitrous bulbs sitting on a rave dancefloor = pushing it.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

THANKS so much for posting,
I was VERY curious if this was even an option for someone on suboxone!!!
I have ALOT of dental work that'l be coming up in a few months.......
they might even just put me under general anethisia....but its nice to know there IS
another option.....

and no, its not relapse in my opinion either! :D :D :D :D

thanks agian

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Afraid of the Dentist
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

amber4.14.11 wrote:
THANKS so much for posting,
I was VERY curious if this was even an option for someone on suboxone!!!
I have ALOT of dental work that'l be coming up in a few months.......
they might even just put me under general anethisia....but its nice to know there IS
another option.....

and no, its not relapse in my opinion either! :D :D :D :D

thanks agian

When I was a little girl we could not afford to go to the dentist....Every so often a dentist would come to town and stay a few days and take patients and my mother would drag us up there. I used to hide under the bed so maybe they would leave without me! Back then the Dentist hurt me and it really hurt. The stuff they used to deaden you with didn't work very well and I always had tons of cavities and they would drill an drill on me and it would be hitting the nerve and really hurt. Then in 5th grade I got hit in he mouth with the baseball ( I was the pitcher) and my front right tooth turned dark and absessed. I went to the only dentist we had and he didn't like children and had little patience with them..He pulled my absessed tooth and I thought he was pulling my brain out through my nose...I screamed bloody murder and he told me to calm down (the son of a bitch) ...then he made me a plate with one tooth on it and I had to wear that damn thing until I got married and could afford to have it bridged in.

I saw all this to say that I am horrified of Dentists. I have a good one now and when I walk in they turn on the gas, put ear phones on playing classical music and deaden the hell out of my mouth. If I even flnch, they stop and give me more novacaine. But I will have to say that my teeth..what I have left... are not in good shape because of all the drugs I have done which will surely rot out your teeth! So now I take care of the ones I have.

Do I think the gas is a slip of some kind with my sobriety??? Hell no!!! I could not get through a simple precedure without it. ...but I think it all stems from my childhood nightmare!

Judy

Post subject: Relapse? NO!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've never craved NO2 after a dentist appointment, but I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen. Every now and then I come across an article about some dentist who is addicted to it. It does act on opiate receptors.

I would think suboxone would block it's effects, but apparently not! Very interesting. Maybe if they figure out why sub doesn't block it, it would lead to some very important discoveries about opiate receptors!

It is used in some parts of the world to treat alcohol and other addictions (NO2 in South Africa). Humans react very differently to it, as do various other species. It causes dopamine release, but blocks the dopamine release of amphetamines. Very interesting reading! Wiki page for NO2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Also, of course you enjoyed the relaxation. Its pretty dang hard not too. My childhood dentist was pretty liberal with the gas and I always loved going to see him. Maybe a bad sign, but who knows. We cannot prevent our brain from re-acting a certain way.

For the record, I loved nitrous in my early 20s. Enough people like it to have created a "nitrous mafia" in the United States. Fun google reading if you are interested.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-07-06/ ... ia-boston/

Lots of these guys were always pretty big jerks... but they make a ton of cash and there is very little risk.

Post subject: Re: Relapse? NO!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jimmy wrote:
I would think suboxone would block it's effects, but apparently not! Very interesting. Maybe if they figure out why sub doesn't block it, it would lead to some very important discoveries about opiate receptors!

It is used in some parts of the world to treat alcohol and other addictions (NO2 in South Africa). Humans react very differently to it, as do various other species. It causes dopamine release, but blocks the dopamine release of amphetamines. Very interesting reading! Wiki page for NO2

Nitrous has a v. different action to opioid drugs. It may affect opioid receptors, but that'd be just a small part of what it does. I used a lot of bulbs as a teen, and it's surprisingly strong. I'd do a double shot, and experience the world and me dissolve to nothing for what felt days or months ... When only 30 seconds had passed. The only thing I could compare it to would be ... ketamine maybe?

Post subject: Re: Relapse? NO!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

tearj3rker wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Nitrous has a v. different action to opioid drugs. It may affect opioid receptors, but that'd be just a small part of what it does. I used a lot of bulbs as a teen, and it's surprisingly strong. I'd do a double shot, and experience the world and me dissolve to nothing for what felt days or months ... When only 30 seconds had passed. The only thing I could compare it to would be ... ketamine maybe?

It is a dissociative like Ketamine, PCP, or DXM.

Post subject: Nitrous
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My sub doc said it was ok. Did not cause me to crave and helped the pain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Alot of you have had dental surgeries/ procedures, etc. What did you do for pain management? I just had to go back to 4mg b/c my antibioic was hurting my stomach and motrin kills my stomach. I have been taking acid reducers twice per day and carafate to coat my stomach. Did any of you come off subs for the surgery to use opiates then go back on subs or use fental patches? I was just about off and now I have to deal with pain management for this procedure. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you can't take ibuprofen, which is really the best for tooth pain, then you are at a bit of a loss. You could go back up with the suboxone, but I don't know if that will help you much. I definitely wouldn't just all the way up to fentanyl. That's way stronger than I'd say you need, but that's just my personal opinion. If you need to go back on pain meds, I'd say go with a short-acting full agonist, with the agreement with your sub doctor. You should only need a few days of pain meds for a procedure on your mouth/teeth, and if that's the case, you should be able to only wait about 12 or so hours before going back on sub (per my doc's instructions) and not have to do a full re-induction. That's necessary only if you're back on full agonists for a longer period of time.

What is your dose right now? If it's low enough, you MIGHT be able to get pain management from a full agonist, but it's possible that you won't get much, just from having the sub in your system, depending on how long you've been on it.

I also suggest you go check out the "LINKS" section of the Index page and there's a sticky thread with an article for "treating acute pain in sub patients". It's a pretty easy to read/understand scientific paper. If I were you I'd read it and get to understand your different options for treating acute pain when a person is on sub. At least then YOU will know your options and can better discuss them with your sub doctor and even your dentist/oral surgeon.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions. I know this can be confusing. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:17 am 

I once asked my dentist why I'd never heard of NO being used as a party drug, since it does give you a drunk-like high. He said that it is sometimes used as a party drug. He also said that there were quite a number of dentists who used it a lot when they weren't working until they started to notice MS type symptoms. According to my dentist, overuse of NO can cause demyelination of the nerves, which causes paralysis. Yikes!

Amy