It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi All

I had a baby about 9 months ago and had to take pain killers for my c-section which awakened the addiction in me.. I fought it on and off then went 3 months totally without. Then back on and off (never every day) Norco's for 6 weeks. Never had any serious w/d's at all but couldn't seem to stay off them and was doing bad behaviors so... ..

....I then got on sub about 6 weeks ago but Never more than 1-2mg a day and never every day.. I have gone 2-3 days with NO symptoms of withdrawals. I went 72 hours (14th-16th) and 50 hours (17th-19th) last week and felt totally fine.. good actually

If I stop now and I okay? I then skipped Sat, felt fine (had taken 1mg Friday) Took 1mg Sun afternoon.. 1mg yesterday afternoon.. none so far today..

Again I've never gotten any of even the early W/D symptoms..

Thanks everyone out there! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yeah I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying so, but based on personal experience I think you're totally in the clear.

And even if that's not the case, I encourage you to keep telling yourself that. The mind is a powerful thing.

Having said that, being stable on suboxone is not a bad life decision for a lot of people out there.

Just some thoughts ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Don't know why you'd get in trouble... :) It is almost like I have been tapering as I have been taking it less and less frequently..

Thanks... I am toying with the idea of staying on a low dose for maintenance...

The only thing for me, and maybe I am the anomaly. It gets me pretty high.. even 1mg (still) and I have a baby and want to enjoy all the time with him and remember it.. not be all foggy..

Not sure why Bupe gets me high and not others.. It makes me sleepy and but I don't sleep well.. I sweat.. etc..

You are right my friend.. the mind is an extremely powerful thing. Plus I have been waking up every morning and running 2-3 miles.. I think that is helping... along with the breaks of course..

I know that I am right at that invisible line though and need to make a choice.. stay off or stabilize on a low dose.

Thanks for replying.. you have no idea how much that helps me..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

it is funny...

Someone on a another board said I would not feel w/d's from 1mg for 4-7 days... yea right!! I have come off of 1mg before and I usually feel it the next day..

Also said the half life is 72 hours... when in fact it ranges from 20-72 hours with a lot of variables..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just jumped off at 1mg and tm morning is day 5. (Didn't jump by choice by the way) but my mind is pretty positive and want to ride this out as long and best as I can. I've had some withdrawals but nothing crazy. Like you said before, the mind really is a very powerful thing and I truely believe if you stay busy enough and positive enough anyone can push through it. You just really really need to want it more than anything you ever wanted before!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How long were you on? Etc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I messed around with opiates on and off for about 2 years then would get subs off the street for a few months but not taking them everyday, just here and there and very small mg. I've been with my dr for 4 months

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi NorCal,

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you might be playing with fire here. I believe you are the member who posted a month or so ago about this same topic? I'm seeing signs of you trying to dodge a bullet with addiction or dependence, but aren't quite ready to give up the substance.

I would suggest that if you feel like you really need the suboxone to stay sober, or for pain relief, you just commit to it and get on a proper dose long term. I get that you have gotten off of it before, and struggled with that, but if you are going to need something I can't think of a better/safer drug to choose. On the other hand, if you really don't need it, then you need to get off now before you form a dependence again. We can play the odds all day long guessing if you will be okay taking it only x amount of days, but if you play with fire long enough you are going to get burned.

I hope you don't take my concern the wrong way. I just think you need to make a decision, as you said yourself in one of your latest posts. If you truly need it, then there is nothing wrong with you taking it. Don't let the fact that you are a new mommy make you feel like you can't take this medication if it's necessary.

BTW - Congratulations on your new baby!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much for the input.. that is exactly where I am.. I am stuck. I have my Dr. telling me to stay on a low daily dose but if my BF found out I was back on he would have me tested and I don't know if they can use that against me in court?

He would def. break up with me and kick me out (which he has tried to do already many times) I am so ready to just leave but I don't want to have to split 50/50 on a 9 month old.. :(

I am just scared if I do finally decide to walk out (or he finds out I am on sub and kicks me out) then the courts will award him 100% custody.. I have no idea how that works?

That is why I keep going back and forth.. which I admit I am totally doing and playing with fire..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang it, I hate that you have to even worry about that kind of thing. I can totally relate to the issues and worries you are describing, it sucks.

I really don't think any court will use your maintenance against you in a child custody case as long as you are in treatment with a doctor. Maybe some of our other members can chime in with experience in this issue, but I think it should be fine. It doesn't make the situation with your boyfriend any easier though. :?

Hang in there NorCal. I'm glad you understood why I said what I did, you never know if someone will take it the wrong way. Maybe I can do a little digging and find out some more info for you in a couple days, I'll be out all day tomorrow.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you! Any info would be helpful.. I am sick of this cycle in am in..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I did a little bit of reading on the web about child custody cases, but couldn't find any solid answers. It seems to me that in order for you to really be in trouble they first have to establish that there is either abuse or neglect of the child involved, and that is obviously not the case here. Also, if there are any arrest records related to drugs they will be tougher on you. I couldn't find much info directly speaking about patients who are in suboxone treatment, except that the outcome is usually dependent on the state and county you reside in. Most of the personal stories I read recommended contacting an attorney to find out exactly how the judges in your area feel about parents on maintenance. I'm pretty sure a lot of it would have to do with a judges personal bias about the situation. I would think though, that a testimony from your doctor would be enough to leave any doubt about your parenting ability in the dust.

On a personal note, my sister in law just went through a divorce and her husband is a raging addict/alcoholic. He was able to start suboxone treatment and keep full visitation rights with the provision that he undergo monthly drug screens (hair follicle) for the court. He hasn't complied with those tests a single time since the order was made (about a year), and he is still seeing the kids as often as he wants. Mostly that is my sil's fault, but it really isn't being watched by anyone at the courts at all!

It really bothers me that we even have to worry about this type of thing when we are in recovery. Really, any of us who are parents could face this very same thing if the right set of circumstances were to come together. I have to believe that the court system will have seen enough parents who are really trying to do this the right way and know that your babies best interest will be served by being with his mommy! Custody cases are never easy, and I'm sure the other parent will try to use whatever they can to get to you, but this one just doesn't seem like it would hold much weight to me.

I hope you figure everything out soon! You need a little peace about this in your life, for sure.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much for looking into this for me.. I appreciate it!

My doc said he would go to court for me, which is nice. Like you said I guess it would just come down to a judge.

It's funny, my BF had no problem dating me and getting me pregnant knowing I was on sub... but if he found out I was on it now.. oh man he would try to kick me out again I am sure of it.. which is BS because at most I was taking 2mg a day (got down to 1) and as I said skipping several days often.. haven't taken it in 2 days as of right now.. last does was 1mg on Tuesday about this time.. Feeling good so far..

I just don't know what to do.. Attorneys are so expensive I can't afford one! I make too much for Pro Bono but not enough to hire a lawyer.. it is crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am wondering for now if it wouldn't be safest to get off and stay off (I took like 0.5 today) after over 48 hours and feeling fine!! URG! It's the cravings that get me!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't think I'm having any cravings but my anxiety level is definitely up there today!!

NorCal, are you having cravings or are you just having some anxiety from not having anything?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey there Stepbystep:

I do have some actually.. that's what makes this harder. However, I have to have some on hand in case some bad W/D's do happen to kick in because I have my 9 month old to take care of..

But for me, this has been super hard mentally 99%... 1% Physical (achiness and some temp issues) I am having serious cravings for the sub.. I went over 48 hours without until today.. went 48 hours over the weekend and went 72 hours last week twice.. So I am getting there..

I am so nervous about custody stuff or I would possibly entertain staying on a low main. dose..

I take klonopin for the anxiety.. but that is something to be careful with.. I had to taper off of that while pregnant and it was not that bad (for me, but I hear it can be for some)

Get out and work out.. that will help soooo much..

I have been running every morning I think that is helping me tremendously!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 6? Ya day 6 haha I had to think about that a few times bc my wd is very minimal at this point. 1mg jump and I'm still staying strong (besides the anxiety today) I got out of work and did a little in house work out then took a hot shower. Then about 20 minutes later there it was like a dang monkey on my back!!

About the whole custody thing ( I'm not a professional) but I have been working in and around the courts for a while now and have never really seen it being an issue, at least when it's with a dr and you are seeking the required counseling. It could be different in your state but in pa I haven't really noticed it being an issue. They want want you to go to a court ordered de to be evaluated but other than that I don't see them punishing you for making yourself a better person? Again this is only my opinion and from experience I've seen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And I agree 100% with the having some on hand. I was at a friends house yesterday and he gave me a strip incase of an emergency. With my job I don't have the leisure of just calling off when I feel like it or taking a random week off so I said sure I'll take it. Surprisingly I've been holding up pretty well keeping it far away!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

you are doing really great! You are an inspirationto meet us for sure! Keep up the good work and keep me posted I like hearing your updates on how u are doing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NorCal wrote:
Thank you so much for looking into this for me.. I appreciate it!

My doc said he would go to court for me, which is nice. Like you said I guess it would just come down to a judge.

It's funny, my BF had no problem dating me and getting me pregnant knowing I was on sub... but if he found out I was on it now.. oh man he would try to kick me out again I am sure of it.. which is BS because at most I was taking 2mg a day (got down to 1) and as I said skipping several days often.. haven't taken it in 2 days as of right now.. last does was 1mg on Tuesday about this time.. Feeling good so far..

I just don't know what to do.. Attorneys are so expensive I can't afford one! I make too much for Pro Bono but not enough to hire a lawyer.. it is crazy!

I was reading backwards on your thread :shock: and found this post so i wanted to share my experience. We live in NY and i am on suboxone & have custody of my grandson. The judge spoke to my doctor via phone & since i have been a "good" patient, no dirty UA's, don't miss appts etc, the judge had no problem giving me custody. We can also get a Legal Aid attorney with a decent income as long as you can show expenses eat up a lot of your net income. My son (also on sub) now has "joint custody" of his son but the birth mother only gets supervised visits because she abused the baby. I was told by the atty that it is very hard to remove a baby from the mother & even harder to take all rights away from a mother. In our situation my son had proof that she was abusing the baby & she failed every drug test (6 months in a row), never completed the parenting classes etc and that's why she lost custody. Maybe you can just go to legal aid to talk & see what your options are. It looks like you live in Northern CA, but i don't think they consider a child "property" so you may not have to split custody.