It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: The Agony & The Ecstasy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for about 2 weeks now and I love it. I am getting my life together and feel hopeful for the first time in a couple years. I had been taking about 10, 10/325 Norcos a day and the chase was killing me.
The problem is that I had no idea Suboxone was so expensive!! Now I am almost out and am thinking I need to go back to the Norcos. I don't have the money for the office visit and the scrip which will run me about $400 where a visit to my pain doctor plus the scrip is $100. I don't want to do this but I can't see another choice. I can't do withdrawals.
I'm just so sick of all of it. I could have done a 7 day detox but I would have to be off Suboxone for 30 days. I found out I could get in 2 days after I started the Suboxone. I may also be doing a clinical trial starting 6/22 and will do it if I get in. But that's a 70 mile drive each way twice a week.
How long should I wait after I take my last Sub to start back on the Norcos? I don't want to but I have no other choice financially.

Why did I do this to myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to wait when going from Suboxone to a full agonist - just the other way around. I understand treatment can be very expensive, but have you weighed that monetary cost against the cost of a life of active addiction? Active addiction destroys the addict's life as well as the people around them - and it can kill. I believe this is why people choose the higher cost of suboxone treatment over what addiction will cost them overall. Have you considered trying to find a new doctor that doesn't charge as much? Just a thought. I wish you the very best. Please consider finding a way to stay in treatment.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you not have insurance? What about the suboxone assistance program? There is a program through the manufacturer and you should check it out on their website - someone help me with that please.....

Anyhow, have you looked at different docs that charge less? Have you asked the doctor and explained you can't afford this? You have to look and search to get well. There are usually some options out there. I have heard some people who only have to see the doctor once every 3 months or so. Talk to your doctor. Maybe he/she can help you figure it out. Can you afford it one last time to figure it out?

Why did you wait this long to investigate your options?

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yeah, I've looked and looked. The Doc I went to only charges $150 per visit. I am going to call every doctor on the "here to help" website (Reckitt Benckiser) and see if they have the 2 people they are allowed on the Patient Assistance Program. I'm going to really try to stay on Suboxone and like I said, I have the clinical trial probably starting the 22nd which combines suboxone & counseling. Which I may need to be on opiates to even start that.
I am absolutely out of money. My family is too. They've helped as much as they can. My car is about to be repossessed, my storage unit is close to going to auction and all my possible unemployment benefits ran out in March.
Expensive is one thing. Literally impossible is quite another.
So I'm going to get through this and come out on top it just may take a while.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just so you know there are three other doctor locators besides the one on NAABT.org. There's one at SAMSHA.gov, suboxone-directory.com, and suboxone.com. They all seem to list different doctors. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really hope you don't have to be on opiates to get into that trial. MAN.....I tell you ... I would be really tempted to take opiates again just to get in that trial. This is so sad. We shouldn't have people in this country who can't afford to get well. I admire you for trying and keeping on even when things get rough. It is so hard to get sub even when you have money and insurance let alone when you don't. I wish I could say that if you put as much energy into getting sub as you did your opiates that you would be able to get your sub. I don't know if that is true though :cry: You could always stand on the side of the road with a sign. I know I always used to give money to the guys that said "I'm not lyin'....I need money for beer"! I always gave them money. No really....not trying to make light because it isn't funny at all. I just think some of the best ideas come out of the worst ideas and standing on the side of the road with a sign 3 days a week might not actually work. I would do just about anything for my sub though. I really hope you can figure something out. It would be a shame if you couldn't. Hang in there!

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am 
It's a crime that there has to be a pricetag on a life and hope.

The only thing I can think of to add is that I've seen others on this forum cut their dose in half or less to save on the cost of the script. You didn't say how much you're on now. Also, the doctor's visit's usually become less frequent over time and maybe if you tell the doc you're in dire straits financially he'll stretch out the time between visits. May I ask what state you are located in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Everyone,

I am really trying. I'll get there. I am in the Riverside, CA area. I'm used to the bad news on how little people who have no jobs and insurance are cared about by the powers that be. I'm one of the "99ers" who have exhausted all unemployment benefits. There's no hope in site for us so I'm used to no one caring. Thankfully I have my family to help me as much as they can. I'll make it through. It just seems like if they want us to quit drugs they should make it less expensive than continuing the drug use!
Oh well, I think i have to go out to the ER to get some pills. I thought this was all over finally.

I am going to do this. This is just a bump in the road. I've had enough of a taste of wanting it to give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 pm 
I'm on the east coast, so I don't know for sure, but another poster called YoungAddict said there are a lot of free Sub clinics in CA. I believe his post is under Stopping Suboxone. Maybe you could IM him and find out if he knows of a free clinic near you.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So a good update. I am 3 weeks into a 40 week clinical trial and am on my way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:10 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Just seeing if you ever had luck finding affordable suboxone treatment or at this point in my own desperation , which mirrors your post from five years ago.. What ER can you go to out here in Riverside, CA that will treat with a adequate amount of norco to balance the higher amount of suboxone I've been on? I too, live in RiverSHITTY and 5 years after your post, yet I'm right where you stood . Not sure how your story ends.. I hope you are on a great recovery and no longer in this hell
As for I
I'm about to be out of suboxone and my Dr has gone missing
Thisblows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 pm 

I'm so sorry that you're stuck! Your doctor disappeared? And without making other arrangements for his patients? Is it possible that he was targeted by the DEA for something? I hope you can find another sub doctor with availability.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I wish you luck, DrThackerysMissEs. If you call up other Sub doctors around you, you can explain that you have an emergency situation and see if any will pick you up ASAP. I don't know how the ER will treat opioid withdrawal, though I know they'll at least give you comfort meds like clonidine and loperamide.

I want to bring one thing to your attention, which is that if you take enough loperamide (the brand name is Imodium but the generic works just as well) when your first withdrawal symptoms start appearing, you will not experience withdrawal to any significant degree. (Loperamide is an opioid itself, but has only peripheral effects because the CNS transports it out almost immediately when it crosses the blood-brain barrier.)

You have to be careful not to become dependent on loperamide (yes, it's not only possible but likely, with enough time!), so don't use it for more than about five days; and don't use mega-doses like 30+mg; and be aware that fiber intake and proper hydration are essential to avoid constipation. (It will make your mouth dry and your head a bit foggy, so drink Gatorade and water, and don't drive if it can be avoided.)

What I did (for reference only, not instruction!) was take 6mg at a time until I felt better; it takes about one hour to kick in, maybe a bit longer, and only took me about 12mg total. You can get away with taking it once or twice a day. It's best to start before withdrawal gets bad, but after you know it's happening. As someone else pointed out to me on this forum, Suboxone withdrawal won't start until after two or three days, so you've got a window before any emergency measures are needed. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I don't guarantee this procedure's safety or efficacy, do your own research (e.g., Google "withdrawal + loperamide"). But it's what worked for me.

I hope you find a new doctor very soon. Please continue posting and keep us updated; this is a great forum for support. These kind folks got me through my low point and they will help you too!