It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just started taking Suboxone films, I read the manufacturer website and even allot on this forum and others on how most people take the Films. However; as we all know the Public knows best what works, the ACTUAL User knows what works for them and how to actually use these films to their best advantage in absorption. I don't want to discuss dosage or even how many times/day to use the film. What I would like is for people to chime in on How they actually take the Films.
As an example length of time till absorption, time till any drink or swallowing takes place, stuff like this is what I am getting at. I know it is a simple Film you are supposed to place underneath one's Tongue til it absorbs, but everyone knows there is far more to it than that. When I first started using the Films, I didn't take them properly, so I wanted to start this thread so the actual users of these Films could help me/and other first time users could gain some insight into the correct/most effective way to use these films...I know it sounds stupid, and maybe it is but I have read and heard about so many different ways people have used these films with good and even sometimes better results than the Manufacturers suggested "Proper" way to use the Films...many many Thnxx, and I hope to hear about allot of varying answers and ways to take/use the Films..........................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i am in month 3 of taking sub films. 8mg/twice daily. at this point i try to not smoke or drink coffee approx. 15 minutes prior to taking them. i try to swallow any extra saliva then place under tongue. i swallow (right in the beginning) if i have any extra spit, then i wait as long as i can before i swallow again. (mayb 5 minutes) sometimes this is hard if i have alot of it and other times not as hard if there is minimal saliva. no drinking for approx. 15 minutes after placing film. usually a slight numbness (in mouth) occurs afterwards. i wondered if that was a "normal" feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes I have heard about spitting out the very last bit of orange residue, as it seems that this is the Naloxone and one can get rid of it by spiting it out after a certain while. I had a bad headache once but not since. I also read a post that someone dissolved their film into a glass of water? Any other unorthodox methods of Absorption that you might have heard of ???

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: By the Book
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 pm 

I am not sure about different ways to take the film but I have heard people doing some unconventional things. With me, it's pretty much by the book. Maybe a swallow of water first if my mouth is dry. After putting the film under my tongue I just forget about it. Usually I won't drink or eat for a half hour or so. It works fine every time.

Like you, I am curious to see what others post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here is a previous thread on this topic that you might want to read, if you haven't already.
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3428

Dr. Junig posted about absorption in this link:
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=496

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im with Rule,

I just put it under my tongue, and forget about it. Most of the time ,,, its when Ive just gotten to work,, so I usually dont eat/drink/smoke for up to an hour after I put it in.

Before I ever read on here, I used to drink mt dew, WHILE it was in my mouth becuase of the taste :roll:
or smoke a cig WHILE it was dissolving.

and to be completely honest, I have never noticed a difference.

oh and I take 8mg in a.m. , 8 mg in p.m.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So far I take mine very early in the AM. That way my mouth is dry and I dont sit there thinking about it so my mouth can water up. I have only had headaches once, and have once also spit the Last of the spit/Naloxone out, I could not tell Any difference between then and what I do. What I do now is the Conventional Method, put 1 or 2 underneath my Tongue, I do use a Tweezers to grab the Film and then place it under my tongue. It usually dissolves in about 15 minutes as I have clocked it. I try and have a very dry mouth before hand, it does seem to help dissolve the films quickly, I also dont drink anything for about 30 minutes afterwards. So far So Good, but I must say I do not care for these films. Very much allot of trouble rather than just swallowing a pill and it's done, no thinking no technique, just swallow and then bamm.
I had hoped to hear about Other techniques, dissolving the films in a glass of water, Chewing the films up and then swallowing, etc.. but so far nothing like that has been reported in this thread. Except on the above posted Older/other thread. I just wanted to hear first hand from someone that used and alternative method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just watched a Video where Dr. Junig told about the best way to use the Films to take your daily Suboxone dose. I had listed these Videos in the Induction section because there are dozens of Video of Dr.Junig answering various questions and the Information was Phenomenal. I learned so much by watching these Videos of Dr. Junig answering these questions. Well one of the questions was the best way to take your daily Sub dose. I didn't know that Suboxone is so hard to get into your system. Dr. Junig suggested to Not put the strip underneath your tongue and instead press the film all along the insides of your mouth, the roof of your mouth, the cheeks, the gums everywhere there is skin and not teeth. I thought that the underside of the Tongue was the ONLY place that the Film would absorb properly. I believe Dr. Junig said that ONLY 15-20 percent of the Suboxone actually gets into your system. It is Al about Information !!

Post subject: In your lip?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Had anyone had any success with putting the Suboxone in your lip like smokeless tobacco? There seems to be much less saliva their which seems like it would help the medacine stay concentrated. On the the other hand, I am not sure if it is vascular enough as under the tongue..humm.. Has anone tried this with any success?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I have heard of people putting sub in their lip.

glen bee wrote:
when I was taking 8mg per day I would cut the strip in half the long way and put the halves next to each other just under my front teeth between my gums and lip. Like the place where they put chewing tobacco. Worked just as good for me and I could wake up 2 hours early, pop it in and go back to sleep.

I still do this although I have been tapering, I notice less saliva gets in that space as well.

Here is the link if you want to read the full thread:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6 ... wired+shut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on suboxone film for 3 months as well..8mg twice daily. I'm interested to learn more about the application techniques also. After reading this thread it seems that saliva is the "enemy" while the film dissolves, is this correct? because i may have been taking the medicine wrong all along. I place the strip under my tounge and swallow the saliva multiple times as it builds. Kinda embarrassed if this is the incorrect way but will stop doing this today! I think the spitless tobacco method makes a lot of sense to me. I'm actualy in week 6 of quitting smoking using the nicotine lozenges and thats where i "park" them with good results, so far.

Post subject: Watch the nicotine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:03 pm 

Hey Dicespin,

If you read the previous posts then it should ease your mind about the right way to take it. I never bothered with trying any other method and did it by the instructions given. Under my tongue and let it dissolve. I too swallow my saliva as it melts and have not noticed any problem with absorption so far. If you need more Buprenorphine out of your film, ask your doctor for an increase of your Suboxone. If you feel okay then run with that. That is how I gauge it, how I feel. Your body will tell you if you need more or if you are taking too much. Trust your instincts, they are usually right.

Congrats on getting off the smokes but watch that nicotine gum. It took me years to kick that habit after it grew so large it affected my blood pressure big time.

Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just started Sub. this week.

My doctor told me : Place the film under the tongue, do not swallow and saliva builds up, do not initially swallow the saliva then, but to "swish" the saliva around in the mouth. He said that the Bupr. has much less BA in the stomach than in the mouth. He said to try and not drink anything for about 30 minutes after dosing. He said most of the Bupr. is absorbed w/ in like 15 minutes, but that some may get absorbed further by the "swishing".

I saw on a sub. article(s) more than once that very little of the Naloxone is absorbed in the mouth though, and repotedly that is why some patients "spit" out the built up saliva after a minimum of 15-20 minutes. Apparently many people do this if the Nx. makes their stomach upset or have other unwanted side effects from the Nx.

Reportedly the Nx. is not as active when the ROA is ingestion, that it's main purpose (other than to be a general opoid antagonist) is to cause immediate wd's if a patient uses the Sub. via IV.