It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all!! Today i took the dive into my recovery from fairly li.g ht opia te use (12-16 hydo 10s a day). Over the past yr and half i feel into the trap and have hid it from my family. I have 4 young children that look up to me and u all know the shame of knowing ur mistakes and others not. Guilt! Anyhow i ha e been reading these forums and w out the info and love on theae i am not sure i could have ever found the strenght to get my suboxone appointment. For those of u who doubt this approach; i arrived at the clinic at 9am this morning in full withdrawls after 20hrs of forcing myself to stay clean. Now i feel the best i have felt in a long time. Thanks so much to all of u who had the strenght to speak of ur addiction. It sure helped me take the first step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi lilbda1 and welcome! Congratulations to you for stopping the cycle of active addiction and starting sub treatment. I'm so glad you're feeling well and doing well. Keep us posted on your progress. Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around. It's a great place for support and information.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Welcome lilbda
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

:wink: Wow it is always nice to hear the relief in someones writing when they have made the decision to give up the rat race along with all the deception and guilt. Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the forum where you can always turn when you need support and/or answers.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 2 and honestly given the circumstances i still feel great and so hopeful for the first time in a long time. A question for all u "salty" vets out there: why does the sub make me so tired? As long as i move i am good but the moment i stop or sit i find myself nodding off. Still better than life 2 days ago so no complaints but if anyone knows how to help me get past that or atleast tell me that it will pass that would b great:-) thanks for the welcomes guys and for anyone reading this thinking about getting sub treatment..... Please do. It is so great to feel normal again and not just worring about ur next dose must less where it is coming from. It may be pricey to get started but i promise u that u already spend the money just u spend it on what u want to get away from. Thanks again for listening

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi lilbda,

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have ya!

I love reading stories like yours because it reminds me of where I was and how far I've come. Suboxone enabled me to end a wicked active addiction. I had tried on my own, before Suboxone, to halt my addiction to opiates, but I never could do it.

Anyway, as far as your feeling drowsy, it could be a couple of things. The fact that you've only been on Suboxone for 2 days is likely the culprit. It takes most of us a little bit to get "used" to Suboxone. Also, you have to remember, your mind and body are still shedding those Hydro's. While you're not feeling wd, per se, your body is eliminating the Hydro's and it's once again trying to reach a balance. I'm not explaining it very well, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Another thing it might be is your dose. If you're on a decently high dose, that could be messing with you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also can chime in on this feeling of being "tired" or not having energy. I went from (active addiction) staying up till 2am/3am and sleeping 2 or 3 hours just to do it all over again, then to (ORT treatment with Suboxone) going to bed at 7pm..sleep until midnight..toss till 1am..get up..search internet until 2:30am..back to bed..watch TV...up again at 3:30am...ah hell, just stay up...
And I did this for months. Couldn't sleep at night. (obviously, look at the time, I STILL CAN'T!!)

I've learned to live with it though. I do sleep, but just not when everyone else does. For the most part, my household goes to bed and sleeps from 8 or 9pm until 5 or 6am. But me, I go lay down and watch TV usually around 5pm...and I sit there for a couple of hours, usually until about 7 or 8pm..and I doze off. I'm back up by 3am, and stay up all day.

When I first got on Suboxone, 3 years ago, I noticed that if I got still or sat down too long, I would nod off. "Cat naps" or "power naps" is what I called them. I could nap for 10 minutes, then I'd feel GREAT....I don't know what this is, maybe a side effect or something..but it was this way for months. If I stayed active, I was fine...but if I sat too long, out like a light!

I actually have learned to enjoy the ability to nod off from time to time. If you're OK with letting someone drive, it's great for an hour long car ride, or if you have a pregnant wife and spend time in doc offices with her, like I do, then I have the chance to take a nap while we wait on being called back...

I find it better to stay busy..keep my mind occupied during the day. The suboxone does have it's affects on a person, but if you weigh the pros and cons, this is the worst it will get with Suboxone. There is no "gradually worse over time" type of effect. Once you've been on suboxone a couple of months, and your body is good and cleaned out of the full opiate agonists, you'll see that this isn't so bad, especially when you consider the other scenario.

I didn't like it at first...but when I thought about it..I was like, "well, I can either 1)be sleepy and able to doze off in just a few minutes of sitting down, or 2)I can be way up on cloud 144, spaced out and not paying attention...and REALLY be at risk for something much worse than simply taking a nap..."

When you weigh it out, the obvious is clear..and you've totally made the right decision. I applaud anyone who takes the leap of faith, because I remember doubting Suboxone, and saying to myself that "my withdrawals from Oxycontin are different...I don't think Suboxone will help me because I do this, and that and this...so I don't want to try it."

I've mustered through the tired feeling and done many, many hours of work..especially when we were putting windows in our house and putting the new roof on our front room...I spent 2 or 3 days working 12-16 hours of construction..non-stop. Mainly because of weather and beating the rain..but I was on Suboxone..felt the tired feeling, but I wouldn't sit still long enough to doze off...

I've found with Suboxone, if you'll get up and find the motivation to do something, the tired will go away. If I start feeling tired during the day, I get up and make myself find something to do..and I forget about being tired. And I'm really focused on whatever I find to do...I don't have that groggy, pass-out feeling...so just try to occupy yourself.

(I'm a stay-home dad, and not being at work isn't something I'm used to..only in the last couple of years have I been able to stay home and be here for the kids, so I HAVE to find something to keep myself busy or I'll go nuts)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like Romeo said, you might be drowsy just because you haven't yet stabilized on your dose. Give it some time still and see how you feel once you've stabilized on the right dose for you. It's not unusual to start out at a higher dose than you'll end up on as your maintenance dose. After being stable for a month or two, many people end up reducing their dose down to the lowest possible that will still address their w/d and cravings. Additionally, if you're still having drowsiness at that time, lowering your dose might help with that. But for now, try to be patient and give yourself time to adjust.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome and Congrats! It's great to hear you have found the support you deserve on our forum. You have received some great advice and I don't have anything to add but wanted to welcome you. Keep up the good work, you will continue to feel better as the days go by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the advice and welcomes again. I am being patient so my body has time to adjust and i am worried about my dose (8mg 2x a day). I have made the decisision to take 8 in the mornings and only 4 in the evenings and i think tomorrow i will go to just 4mg for both am and pm dose. I would like to take as little as possible so i dont find myself in the same boat as the hydros. My goal is to bboff completely by 3 months however i will be reading a lot on here to see what works best for others to ween off fairly quickly. I feel great and like i said if the nodding off is my only major side effect well that is so worth the hope and weight that has been lifted from me. I sleep better at night and this morning was the first morning in a long time that i woke in a good mood and felt well enough to really play w my kids before they left for school. My girl thought i was a different person because the overnight w drawls usually had me very unpleasent in the mornings. Thanks again everyone im looking forward to the rest of the day!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome, and Congradulations. Good for you to take the step to save yourself and probably your family too. I know the shame of having young children and knowing what you are doing is so wrong and you would never want them to do it...So now you are a clean, aware, slightly sleepy mommy. I slept a ton when I first got on subs. LIke day and night, it was crazy. I Just figured it was my body trying to heal itself from years of abuse and the suboxone. It did eventually get better, but I still do feel tired, but I would rather be tired than using. Can I very respectfully suggest that you not change your doses without discussing it with your dr. We addicts tend to be "our own doctor" and this can be dangerous. I just want you to be successful. You can do this....and Congrats..again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much Mrssky!! Believe it or not im a sleepy dad!!! Lol. This has by far been the greatest weight lifted off my shoulders. I did change my dose but i spoke to my dr first. I took only 4mg this morning and again this evening and today haw been so much better. I spent most my day teacging a friend about my treatment and setting him on path to start nezt week. He just needs a little help coming up w the gobs of money needes to free himself. Like i said today has been great. My family already sees a huge diference in me and our quality of life. I only wish i would have made this investment earlier but there is a time for everything. For the first time i can see past today in my life. It is so great not stressing where and how to get my next score. Thanks again for all the support here. I feel like i have so many friends and im not alone and the shame starts to fad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is wonderfully touching. I am glad to reas that you are happy with your treatment. Welcome to this forum Hope ya keep sharing your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are SO many success stories that GREATLY outweigh the things that are spoken negatively about suboxone. Most of the negatives are because of a negligent, gross misunderstanding by those who don't know anything about it...but I for one can attest to Suboxone saving my life. If you want to read a story, go look in the "My Induction Story" area and the post I put there..it's pretty long...so be prepared to read a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

DAY3!!! I still feel great however i am still struggling bad w rhe nodding off and being so tired. Anyone have any advixe on what i can do or take to help w this? i. Have lowered my dose and my dr has no answers. I dont want to take anything that would get me in trouble w my dr but u need help? Al advise welcime. Thanks so much!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today (day 4) has been a breeze!!! Woke this am to 2mg and then another 2mg at 6pm. The dr prescribed me to take 8mg 2x.a day but by taking the lower dose my headaches have all but disappeared and the nodding off has lessened quit a bit. For all of u that r reading these post trying to find out if sub is for u i just want to repeat again that this has been a life saver for me. I look forward to everyday i wake now. I know this wont b easy but i just couldnt b happier. Ive been able to help a friend start using sub as well and he is having great sucsess also. Thanks again everyone. Please b strong and things will turn around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 am 
its a right that good for you to take the step to save yourself and probably your family too.