It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey guys/gals! Been a while since I was on the forum but I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing and also share my experiences from the last year. The last year has been kind of trying for me, but my recovery is going well so that’s what counts (I guess lol) Anyway, I can’t believe it but I’ve now been on subs for a year and a half. One day I’m getting them prescribed and the next I’m writing this thread, man how time flies!

So I’ve been struggling with extremely low sex drive since day one I started suboxone and did a good amount of research lately. It’s really strange that the clinical studies don’t show a correlation between subs and low libido but they do however find a correlation between methadone and low libido. I find that really strange because the day I went on subs it was downhill from there as far as sex. I know a lot of people (including my doctor) will say it’s not related or it must be a coincidence, but I disagree. I didn’t have this problem AT ALL prior to subs even on a handful of oxy 80’s I would have sex/sexual interest no problem.

Anyway as some of you may already know, there is help for this! It’s called TRT/HRT Testosterone replacement therapy or hormone replacement therapy and it works well! Now maybe I didn’t go about get the treatment the right way, but I can say it does work. I guess it goes back to me playing doctor for all those years but I know a guy who takes testosterone for bodybuilding purposes. I began speaking with him about how it works and such. After about a month I decided I was going to prescribe myself 250mgs of testosterone cyp every week. It did take about 4 weeks but after that my whole life changed drastically. My sex drive is back to normal and I have much more energy. I plan to see my real doctor in the long run so I can be prescribed the test legally.

I’m not by any means recommending going the route I did, but I wanted to let you guys out there that are feeling the same way know there is help for this! All you need to do is go to your doctor and asked to be tested for your testosterone levels. I can’t explain in words how much this has helped me so I wanted to pass this along. Being 31 years old with ZERO sex drive for over a year was driving me to borderline suicidal thoughts. Now I am much better. I hope everyone else is doing good as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

About 2 years after starting Sub I wound up on TRT as well. My regular doctor (who's in the loop on the sub) says he's starting to read/hear a fair bit about testosterone and long-term opiates.

In my case it was LH/FSH shortage from the pituitary, not testicular. I wonder if opiates affect the pituitary long term...

Just FYI.

Post subject: Low Testosterone
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm a 33 year old formed addict, all opiates for five years starting with heroin to methadone, morphine... The reason i'm posting this is so that maybe someone can benefit from the info. I used cannabis to treat my addiction"ingesting it" and after i've been clean for two years i still didn't feel like myself, tried eating super healthy, working out, overall taking the best care of myself ever. So finally i heard the symptoms of LOW T and thats when it hit me, i think i have that, so i went to my doctor and asked for a testosterone test and sure enough my T level was 236 that is lower than a 90 year old man's should be, A healthy 33 yr old male's should be around 600. The doctor reluctantly prescribed me Testosterone Cypionate . Now i have the will and want to face the world. Lets be clear here all Opiates damage your body's ability to produce testosterone properly during and AFTER abuse. But if your thinking of treating yourself here's the amount i was prescribed 1cc a week for three weeks "loading phase" then 1cc a month. At that time my levels where at 500 still not perfect but i feel GREAT! If you are going to treat yourself be WARNED Hormones are something you don't want to mess up! If you decide to treat yourself you can always go to a doctor and have your testosterone levels checked and other hormones as well. If you are a addict or former you know you need no more issues"problems" in your life! So if you decide to treat yourself anymore than 1.5cc a week would be ridiculous and you would be asking for problems also if you didn't get your levels checked. I know getting clean is a challenge of a life time but staying on whatever your on will kill you one way or another, even if you have to be dope sick for a month which isn't possible, a month is a short period in a life time! I hope this info can help someone and may God or whatever bless you'll. :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Please! go to your doctor and have blood drawn to see what you T levels are.Do not put illegal forms of steriods in your body.They are NOT the same!

With that said.My husband has low T,not from drug abuse,just getting older I guess.Hes 45.

The Dr prescribed Androgel.Its a T gel you out on every morning.He feels so much better as his levels returned to normal after a short period of time.The only drawback is the cost.There is NO generic and we spend 1100.00 a month on his script!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject: New Gell
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:31 pm 

Melijm,

Sorry to hear about the high cost of Androgel. I have insurance and had no idea it was that much. But, my doctor saw my copay and said there is a new one now that has a card where you will not pay more than $25.00. With insurance, it just cuts my copay from $40 to $25. But if you don't have insurance or it's not covered, it says they will be primary. So your total cost per month will be $25.00. That beats the $1100.

It is a pump gel applied to your underarms so no gel on the shoulder. It drys quicker too. Have him ask his doctor for Axiron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Injectable is much cheaper. You might not like needles, but neither do I. If you can't afford the gel, go injectable.

There's some mention above about guesses on how much to take, etc, if you want to "treat yourself". That's crazy talk... you need blood tests to determine what your levels are and took me a number of adjustments in order for my doctor and I to arrive at what the proper dosage was for me.

BTW, consider carefully what "normal" is. 236 is low, but its not -that- low. Sure, the anti-aging industry wants everyone at the same levels of a pimply-faced, hormone-raged 18 year old, but who's to say having 18-year-old levels when you're 50 is right or natural?

Post subject: For Health
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:18 pm 

Foggy, I agree with you that the normal aging process will have diminished T levels. Mine was in the 100's so it was more of a health issue. My doctor told me that low levels cause bone loss, and other health issues. So for me it wasn't so much to improve my sex life (although it did), it was more of a health issue. My levels now are in the 600's and I feel normal. When I first started using the gel I felt like a darn teenager! Finally my body evened out and today everything is normal.

With the injection, doesn't have a high and low? I asked for that first and was told how uneven the dose was. The gel keeps a steady flow going. It's expensive but I have insurance.

Amazing how so many people have low testosterone. At least there is a treatment.

Post subject: No Gel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to the OP: Prescribing it to yourself was a bad idea, since you're not going to get anything from your doctor unless you stop taking it for a while and let your T levels go back to normal. You need a blood test to confirm your levels. Also, you should really have a blood test after you start taking it to check and see if your levels are too high or low, because both can cause side effects.

Also, don't get the gels if you can afford it. Gels are expensive and many people have reported poor absorption through the skin which prevents their levels from raising up to where they need to be. Even though i'm young (early 20's) I had the same things happen to me, so I went to my DOCTOR and got tested. They prescribed me Androgel and I hated it, as it burned and smelled like rotten alcohol pads (since alcohol makes up a large part of the gel), and I was afraid of it getting on my clothes/girlfriend/pets. It was also 200 or something dollars a month (my copay was 20, but still I have a high deductible and am on suboxone and two meds for narcolepsy) which was insane for what it really contained. Get the inject-able stuff, and try to do it bi-weekly or weekly to keep your levels from fluctuating too much. You obviously don't hate needles, but if anyone reading this does they can go to a COMPOUNDING pharmacy and they will make a gel for you. Not a lot of them around though.

After switching, my levels are sky high and I get an erection when the wind blows! It's annoying but my sex life is unreal compared to how it was before. I seriously am insatiable, which was NEVER the case even before my addiction.

Cheers-

DJK

To correct your spelling and grammar.

Post subject: Day 4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on trt for the fouth day and I currently take 1-2mg of subs. per day. Can't wait for my energy and my libido to increase, should I stop fooling myself until I'm off the subs. or will I still notice a difference while taking both. I saw someone post something about trt actually helped them get off subs. because of the new found energy. Any input much appreciated. BTW, 42yrs old, test 215, and have zero libido and heavy eyes throughout the day...help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can tell you for myself since tapering off sub my libido is coming back w/ a vengence. Like I suspected. I am currently on 1.5 mg once daily. I started noticing my libido increase as soon as I started tapering and the lower I go, the more I notice it comming back around. SO there IS HOPE ya all. (i'm female btw so it affects us gals too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is one of the suckiest side-effect of Suboxone. All I wanna do when I get clean is live my life, darnnit. Getting laid is a young man's sole reason to live. My main goal in getting clean was to reach for that elusive 13th step. Then I get clean, got on Suboxone, and discovered that reason was no longer? It's enough to make a man go back on methadone. :? Ahh the irony.

Still, it's better than using, I suppose... maybe. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:04 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

substation wrote:
Hey guys/gals! Been a while since I was on the forum but I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing and also share my experiences from the last year. The last year has been kind of trying for me, but my recovery is going well so that’s what counts (I guess lol) Anyway, I can’t believe it but I’ve now been on subs for a year and a half. One day I’m getting them prescribed and the next I’m writing this thread, man how time flies!

So I’ve been struggling with extremely low sex drive since day one I started suboxone and did a good amount of research lately. It’s really strange that the clinical studies don’t show a correlation between subs and low libido but they do however find a correlation between methadone and low libido. I find that really strange because the day I went on subs it was downhill from there as far as sex. I know a lot of people (including my doctor) will say it’s not related or it must be a coincidence, but I disagree. I didn’t have this problem AT ALL prior to subs even on a handful of oxy 80’s I would have sex/sexual interest no problem.

Anyway as some of you may already know, there is help for this! It’s called TRT/HRT Testosterone replacement therapy or hormone replacement therapy and it works well! Now maybe I didn’t go about get the treatment the right way, but I can say it does work. I guess it goes back to me playing doctor for all those years but I know a guy who takes testosterone for bodybuilding purposes. I began speaking with him about how it works and such. After about a month I decided I was going to prescribe myself 250mgs of testosterone cyp every week. It did take about 4 weeks but after that my whole life changed drastically. My sex drive is back to normal and I have much more energy. I plan to see my real doctor in the long run so I can be prescribed the test legally.

I’m not by any means recommending going the route I did, but I wanted to let you guys out there that are feeling the same way know there is help for this! All you need to do is go to your doctor and asked to be tested for your testosterone levels. I can’t explain in words how much this has helped me so I wanted to pass this along. Being 31 years old with ZERO sex drive for over a year was driving me to borderline suicidal thoughts. Now I am much better. I hope everyone else is doing good as well!

wow man, that's a hefty dose and yer buddy is prolly on roid cycle....never play dr. ive done 1 gm of T cyp (just like you) and anabol ,which landed me in the hospital w acute liver failure, jaundice, and a billyrubin of 40, pee looked like coke cola

i know test is depleted thru opioids but if u r 'prescribing' yerself this....chances are u wont listen to me....make sure it is pharma test and not some shit brewed in a bathtub in Thailand that will give u jaundice....then you could land in the hospital quick....don't let yer addiction get u into roids....u r playin with fire man, using needles (i know its cool)...man see your endocrinologist (sp) you have NO idea what yer gettin yerself into. most endos will give u 200mg/ cyp month. im 31 too and thats what i take and i pitch a nice tent and feel normal again....bodybuilders can be off the chain- u need some T but thats a shit ton- dont ever take oral roids because the 1st pass metabilism will screw yer liver, shrink yer nutz, cause gyno (dont ask) be careful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:29 pm 
I have been on Androgel for 2 years. It helped with the sex drive and breast tenderness immediately. The fatigue took longer but it was discovered after a sleep study that I had sleep apnea as well. I have not been able to get my level over 500 (where the doc wants it) even with 4 1.62mg Pumps a day. I will have to live with 380-400. Better than the 151 I started with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

The problem with juice is that you are going to be going through cycles. If you are taking it illegally, you will most likely have to stop at some point. You will experience what is called "shutdown", your body will stop producing test on its own. This is because it feels that it has no reason too since you are putting it into your own body.

Seems like a really bad idea. I think I have low test myself, and plan on getting it checked after I get on Sub. Lifting weights and exercising causes your body to produce test, I would try that first.

I have no motivation and very little sex drive at all. Lately, all I have been doing is laying about. It really sucks. For the past three years I have lifted regularly. Now, I hardly eat. I think this is my body getting used to low Sub doses, I know I am going to have to go through this while getting off. I am in my late 20s. I need to get this checked, I am on 3 milligrams of sub

Post subject: testrone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Its funny you bring this up(no pun there)lol,i mentioned about this topic about a year ago and got the same response even by the sub Dr.folks out there didn't believe me and the Dr,said it must be a coincidence too.my sex drive on coke,and or oxi's was an everyday thing no problems and my drive was the same i was a horny sob all the time,from the 1st day i began suboxone as a daily med my wanting to have sex became diminished,its one of the things that yea don't talk about in groups,anyways after my wife having many of talks and me trying to explain to her that it isn't her i finally went to the Dr.who doesn't believe it the sub, but put me on the testosterone cream which i used for a few days but hated having to rub so much of that sh/t on myself and quit using it,my interest in sex only comes and goes in my mind and i have no care for sex which is not me but its gone far enough to where i don't even want to put the stuff on,but anyways this is one topic that needs to be addressed to new patients before starting suboxone but not enough folks will speak openly about it,i have been on sub for around 4 or 5 years now,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just made an appointment to get my T levels tested. My Suboxone doctor also prescribes androgel. I would not be surprised at all if I had low T levels. This is not just due to recent events either. I have to do more reading about androgel as it appears that it might effect fertility? I would like to have kids someday... but if that doesn't happen I am more than willing to adopt (I was a social worker in CPS services for years)

Post subject: also....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:22 pm 
e.r.regular wrote:
I have been on Androgel for 2 years. It helped with the sex drive and breast tenderness immediately. The fatigue took longer but it was discovered after a sleep study that I had sleep apnea as well. I have not been able to get my level over 500 (where the doc wants it) even with 4 1.62mg Pumps a day. I will have to live with 380-400. Better than the 151 I started with.

Even on Androgel I have very little interest in sex, so I would like to get my levels up where ever the doc want them. I seem to remember 800 or so.I have no idea how to get there is I am just under 400 and using 4-5 pumps a day. So for those of you that this is working for, consider yourself lucky/Bleessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I too can relate to this problem or side effect. I was on suboxone from february 2006 until september 2011. Started out on 8mg and quickly tapered to 2mg but stayed on that for the majority of the 5 years unable to jump off completley by myself. Around may 2011 I had my testosterone level checked and the doc said that my number was 201 which is the very low end of the average "bell curve" but he said since I was only 29 at the time of the test that putting me on replacement therapy could ruin my chances of having kids one day so he reluctantly sent me home with nothing but cialis. I was motivated at that time to really try and stop suboxone and see if that was the reason for the low sex drive, tiredness, weight gain, and general feeling of unhappiness.
In september I took a week off work and checked myself into a detox facility. A week later I checked out- went home- and began a month and a half long mental and physical hell. Thats another story but to sum this one up> I had my T level checked again just one week ago. When the doc walked into the room with the lab report in hand he had a shocked look on his face and said to me...
"Remind me, Did I prescibe you androgel?"
I said- No.
He said- Well what is your secret because you went from 201 to 645.
I didnt tell him about the suboxone I was on for 5 years because I didnt want him to have a bias about helping me.
Today is January 8th 2012 and still have not went back on suboxone but was put on an old anti-depressant called Nortriptlyne because I still dont feel right and have considered going back on the subs but for now taking it one day at a time I guess. Hope this helps someone else... sorry so long winded but wanted to give a fuller picture.

Post subject: sexdrive
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Folks, I'm fairly new to this forum and it's already taught me a hell of a lot of 'stuff'. I would like to thank all of you who have posted their experiences here. I'm 49, male. I started using heroin at the age of 22 for a decade plus. In that time my sexdrive was at times painfully high. When I finally decided to go on the methadone program I was diagnosed with Hep C, which didn't seem to effect me at all. I hated the zombie-effect of methadone, feeling nothing whatsoever, no ups or downs. I jumped off methadone with a little help from the very drug that got me into this mess in the first place, heroin. 3 weeks later I knew the methadone had 'left' my body and I went cold turkey. Miraculously it worked and I was clean for 3-4 years during which time I drank myself 'blind'. My sexdrive was still 'good'. Then I got into speed, ectasy and eventually ice, in a rather severe way. This, of course, drove my sexdrive nuts (no pun intended) for a number of years until I was mentally so screwed up I had no choice but to give ice/speed a 'rest', meaning I switched back to heroin. Smart move, I hear you say. Yes, very smart indeed. I've been on suboxone for 2 years now and my sexdrive appears to have evaporated. I also take anti-depressants (50mg of Pristiq per day) and my subox dose is 4mg. I drink daily, though not much, and smoke tobacco and pot. Occasionally I take a valium when I feel agitated. I've just entered a relationship with a girl half my age. She is pretty much drug-free with the odd exception of taking speed once in a blue moon. We have sex once in a while but I don't feel like it most of the time. Having read all the contributions above I will consult my doctor about my testosterone levels. I may not be 'eligible' for androgel or the like, based on having HepC, but I guess I'll find out. I'm just glad to hear that my problem is not an unusual one and appreciate all the info I've gathered so far via this forum. Cheerio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You from Oz Astronaut?