It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been on suboxone for going on a year, while im not a drinker by any means, i do have a beer now and then or a glass of bourbon. While recently(the last week lol) ive been having a "few" drinks at night. Ive never had a problem with alcohol, just been going through some stuff recently, and im just using it to loosen up a bit(i know i know). Ive told my therapist about it, and she just recommends i watch myself and dont make it a nightly habit for any extended period of time.

With all that said, i have my monthly sub appointment on Monday, obviously i get a urine test. I recall seeing the sheet, and i dont recall seeing it on it(that being Ethyl Glucuronide (ETG)), but im just wondering if anyone knows if this is a thing or not? ... I believe they use a standard 8 panel test + a panel for bupe (so 9 total).

Should i worry? ... And if they do, and it gest detected? any advice on what to say? ...And be frank if you think im worrying for nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't think it will matter. As long as your at least 21 it's legal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:42 pm 

Pepper,
Most ua's include alcohol. Most Sub drs and recovery clinics will want there patients not to drink. I know mine says it is not being in recovery or a relapse if we do.
What is your Drs policy? Is it ok to drink there? Is this why you are worried? Whatever the reason for drinking can you e honest with your dr? . It really depends on the type of program your dr wants you to follow. It is up to you to decide whats right or wroug.

I know four sub docs and none condone drinking alcohol with sub treatment. So...

,my 2 cents

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
Pepper,
Most ua's include alcohol. Most Sub drs and recovery clinics will want there patients not to drink. I know mine says it is not being in recovery or a relapse if we do.
What is your Drs policy? Is it ok to drink there? Is this why you are worried? Whatever the reason for drinking can you e honest with your dr? . It really depends on the type of program your dr wants you to follow. It is up to you to decide whats right or wroug.

I know four sub docs and none condone drinking alcohol with sub treatment. So...

,my 2 cents

To be honest i dont recall every talking about it, i might have read something when i was first inducted, but i dont remember most of what i read cause i was in WD's and really only skimmed through it, but from what i remember it only asked if you drank.... But ive never had a issue with Urine tests, and ive never relapsed, so it just hasn't come up... I mean if he brings it up(i.e i test positive), ill say i was at a wedding reception over the weekend and had a few drinks(cause i will be going to one, but i wont be drinking lol but ill say thats where i drank if it happens to be a problem)... Idk i guess i see,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think it will matter. As long as your at least 21 it's legal.

If the practice is abstinence based it will matter. Xanax, soma, Adderall etc. (if prescribed) are all legal but not allowed in many practices. Just my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Razor, I feel like I'm always busting your chops, lol. That really is not at all my intention. Thing is, while ETOH testing may be regular or typical for you, that really is not the case most places. Many use 10 panel dip tests and only follow with a lab to confirm a positive reading. Even lab tests don't usually include alcohol. It's actually more common for a portable breath test PBT) to be used. I've never been tested for ETOH and I'll bet I've had a total of ten separate entities test me.

So, while there is simply no way to know what your doc may do, "most" UAs in fact do not include alcohol. That said I could not agree more with razor that most, actually the majority of, treatment providers prohibit alcohol as part of solid recovery.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 pm 

No no, your right Don .
Checked up on it and a standard ua wont test for alcohol. Other testing models are required. For e though drinking and recovery really shouldnt be mixed, but thats just me or how I do it..