It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I been taking my dose of Suboxone every night since I started the program in March. I got moved to once a month one on ones and my doctor visits. I got my last result back saying I tested negative for bupenorphine but the metabolites were in my system. I got invited to a meeting with the team and was questioned and accused of not taking my Suboxone at all. I just told them the truth that I take it every night and even that I knew when this test would be so why would I stop taking my Suboxone days in advance of the test. I thought I was going to be kicked off but instead I was sanctioned a week and now they are going to ween me off. I have done nothing wrong, I have never tested positive or missed a group or appointment. At first I was told this is what I wanted to get off anyways, but I feel like I was wronged. I want to stay on the Suboxone at least a year before I'm weened off. I don't know what to do now. I know the first question everyone is going to ask is if I am really taking my Suboxone every night and I am I have no reason to lie here. This whole situation just sucks and my anxiety has been through the roof.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When a person has a result like yours I have them bring their next dose to the office and dose it in front of the nurse. If the sub is being diverted and they are taking full agonists again they will not come back, (it has happened once, at least that is my conjecture for them not returning or having no further contact with us). If a person has transitioned back to full agonists they will have precipitated withdrawals, and if not taking anything at all for quite some time a regular dose of sub would be quite sedating. If they are taking it as prescribed there will be no problems, and we will just follow the screens. I've had 4-5 people do this and they are still in treatment. It might seem counter-intuitive, but our relationship is actually stronger and the nurses are more supportive as well. In spite of what people claim, urine drug screens are just that, a screen, to guide treatment, not to mandate anything.

You could offer to dose in front of them. I don't understand why, if they truly thought you were not taking it they would let you 'wean' off of it, by prescribing a drug they didn't think you were taking.

This whole situation just sucks and my anxiety has been through the roof.
I agree and hope you have a few stockpiled to add to the weaning supply, either to extend the wean a bit or find another clinic. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I actually offered to do that. I said if they need me too I will take my dose in front of the Doctor to make sure that I'm not showing signs of an opiate high. I also told the woman that if there's humans involved there is a chance for error. She was so confident in these tests that she started the whole meeting by saying forensics don't lie you are lying so let's hear the truth. She repeated that statement quite a few times. This whole situation is unfortunate. I have never had a dirty urine or missed a group or appointment. They called me in for a count randomly and all packets were in the bag along with the unused ones still sealed. After it was all counted she told me about the negative and that's what started this whole thing. It's just been an absolutely terrible week.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

I am so sorry and the doctor/clinic you're going to absolutely sucks!! Does it seem in other ways that this office tries to get people kicked off? Have they reached the 100 person cap and they want to generate more money in first appointments and induction fees? Unfortunately, some doctors run their practice this way! I would start looking for another doctor immediately!

I wish I could talk straight to your doctor and tell them why they suck!!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:46 pm 

Hey nolucksucks :)

First of all I just wanted to tell ya that I think what happened to u truly sucks! Second I'd like to say that if I were u, I'd look for a different doctor. Don't drop the Dr u have now until u find one though because it can sometimes take a bit to find one with an opening. Unfortunately there's doctors out there that wants u out over one mistake (even though this seems to be their mistake not urs). Nothing about it seems fair to me. But this is just how it is and I guess we have to just take it and move on.

There are good doctors out there like the one's on this forum for instance, u just have to look for them and if u get lucky enough to find one, stick with em. Ur definitely not the first person to post on here about this happening, it seems to happen more than you'd think, and that just sucks. I'm sorry this happened to u, it really ticks me off. I hope u can find u another Dr soon so that u don't have to taper lower than u want to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This type of story REALLY angers me. The drug-testing industry has become huge; some practices get percentages from their tests, and the mark-ups to insurers is ridiculous. Tests that cost $4 to run are charged (and reimbursed) for hundreds of dollars.

Meanwhile, some doctors now see test results as the 'gold standard'-- trusting test results to the point of accusing patients of lying. The patient who happens to metabolize things a bit faster or slower is treated like a criminal.

I often see doctors at professional meetings talking about patients as if they are all liars and -- and using tests aggressively to 'bust' their patients.

I think you should write a letter to the medical board in your state-- or file a complaint online. You just Google the name of your state along with 'medical licensing board' and you will find the place to write or complain. Tell your story, and explain the consequences of untreated opioid dependence-- as even some regulators don't understand the importance of buprenorphine.

It is possible that nothing will come of it.... but if the docs are doing this to people over and over again, your complaint will be important. Medical boards are there to protect patients-- and this is clearly an issue where a patient deserves protection.