It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: tested negative for bup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Help. I just found out that my Dr. will not refill my rx because I tested negative for buprenorphine. The test was on 12-6-14 but I didn't know that there was a problem until the pharmacy called me a couple of hours ago. I am rx 3 mg a day and have never missed a dose. Any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I swear some doctor offices have about as much customer service and quality support as a cell phone or cable company! Ever call any of them for help?

It's crazy that a "failed" test from over two months ago is first brought to you now! When was your last appointment? Did they say anything then? Here's what I suggest

1. Call them on Monday to ask if they sent the sample for lab confirmation? This is standard practice as the cheap instant tests are not near as sensitive. If they did not do this, ask why not as you understand this is very standard to do.

2. Ask why no one informed you of this "failed" test.

3. Tell them you will offer to come in the next three days and take your diose while they watch so they have no doubt you are taking it.

I'm on 1mg no Always show positive on the instant tests. 3 mg certainly should.

I'm willing to bet this was some staff member error. Reading the wrong test is the most likely reason. I once had my 94 year old grandmother test positive for pot. Clearly a wrong test result or error unless they had a hell of a party going on down at the nursing home!

As an aside I saw my sub doc yesterday for my 3 month appointment. One regular nurse was on vacation. The other just had her baby. Two nurses I'd never seen were filling in. Mine forgot to even test me until I was about to leave and asked if they want a sample since I had to pee one way or another. Just as that was going on I overhear (the walls are thin) the other nurse tell a patient he just tested positive for I think she said THC. The patient totally denied this and sounded very concerned - nearly in tears. They always do - right? As my doc is walking out right at my exam room doorway she shows it to the doc but now she's not too sure. They recently changed styles of tests. She said he was possitive for oxy - which he should be as this is a pain clinic. She then says but he's also positive for TCA "that's pot right" she says. Some of you know me and my personality from here and it just came out - have mumbled as I said "that's a triciclate." I didn't even. Mean to say anything but it just was like reflex. My doc knows me for over five years and. We get along great. He just smiles at me and says "he's right" they often use these old anti represents called tricyclates for pain - usually amitriptoline. Next I got to hear her say to the patient over and Over and over again "I'm sorry, im so very sorry, im so sorry" the kid nearly had a stroke. Not cool. She should have kept quiet until she was sure but it's humon error.

So shit always happens. I say it here over and over again you have to drive you own healthcare. Check everything over. Ask for results - even to just say "I just want to confirm my UA was all as it should be. Force this back on them, they should gave told you right away and Should have sent it to a real lab for confirmation.

Imagine being told you failed your drug test when you really did not? At least that's not as bad as the ER doc who told this wife her husband (the patient I transported to the ER) had died. He told the wrong wife. The patient I delivered did indeed die. It just wasn't her husband. He was fine. Great story for another day.

Prove to them this is their error.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just want to second what Donh told you above. I definitely wouldn't take this lying down. We have seen similar stories here over the years and I am certain that errors are made with drug screens fairly often. I once tested positive for tramadol on a lab drug screen. Believe me when I say I had not taken any of that drug for at least a year prior to the test when I wound up in the hospital after having a seizure. Of course my doctor never believed me, but it forever changed my mind about the accuracy of these drug screens.

I know that doctors have to have rules in place for their patients. But they also need to be aware that nobody is perfect and even they (and their staff) are capable of making mistakes. The stakes are too high with this treatment to just dismiss someone from one failed drug screen. Especially TWO MONTHS down the road!!!!

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My bup Dr. only sees me every six months. When I saw her end of November she gave me 3 months worth and said that she would write a script for 3 more months after she received drug test results. She does not test at her office but gives me an order to have testing done at primary docs office. She is very casual about this. Only requires that I go in for test within 30 days. I don't imagine that my primary doctors office would be concerned enough about a negative test to do further testing. I can't go into the bup docs office and take my meds because I'm out. Bup Dr closest office is 35 miles away and she is only there on Tuesdays. Her other offices are 50+ miles away. I am getting tired of this. I have been on bup for 9 years and most of the time the pharmacy doesn't have it in stock and has to order it.