It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I'm Terrified!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]I am not a Suboxone user, but my husband is. I've also never used anything like this for help before, so any info will be GREATLY appreciated! He started using various pain pills as a freshman in high school. He continued that path until just before we got married, when he started theSuboxone program. He has now been on Suboxone for around 5 years. He has now been put in a situation where he HAS to end the program. I have absolutely loved the program for one. While taking Suboxones, he has accomplished so much, that he definitely would not have had he not started the program. He has graduated from college, and actually wants to be a substance abuse counselor. He has a job offer now, that is basically requiring him to stop the program. He has not done it the proper way, that is for sure. He is now taking only a quarter of a pill, and I believe it's a 2mg (not for sure though). He had his last dosage yesterday, and today he has nothing left. He has already told me that he really doesn't want to be out of theprogram , which pretty much tells me that the withdrawal symptoms are going to affect him really hard. I just really don't know what to expect. I have done so much research on the subject, and the withdrawal symptoms sound absolutely terrible. But now, we have to keep in mind that he has detoxed off of the various pain meds twice, but unfortunately, he got wrapped back in the cycle both times. He knows what withdrawals off of pain meds is like, but he says he is really anxious to know whatsuboxone withdrawal is going to be like. With him being on them for so long, not tapering off like he should have, and the fact that he really doesn't want to be off of them in the first place, this whole situation is just terrifying to me! I do not want to see him miserable, although I know he will be! We also have a toddler, and it worries me that he will have to witness this withdrawal! My husband has a tendency to become preoccupied with the situation, and I do not want him trying to get some off the street, when he is going to have to get off of them eventually anyways. I don't really know what I'm looking for by posting on here, maybe just some words..I really don't know. No one else really knows that we are going though this, so it's just really hard not to have someone to talk to. Thanks![/font][/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Key words...We Will Survive.

Does he really have to get off of it if he doesn't want to? Is it for the job? Seems strange that this would be an issue but apparently some employers in the industry haven't caught up yet. I suppose it is what it is though and if this is what he wants to do then I will tell you this.

He really ought to ask his doctor for something to help out with the withdrawals. They aren't as intense as pain killers but they are terrible nonetheless and can drive you crazy. I didn't taper and went from 12mg and that was pretty bad. However, I only missed 1/2 day of work because I went to the doctor and they treated each of my symptoms. They gave me clonidine which helps with cravings and keeps blood pressure low. They gave me restless leg medicine. They gave me ativan for 4 days. Immodium is a must. May wish to consider an antidepressant for a time.

I hated it but all the same....I still worked which is far more than I can say for oxycontin withdrawal because I did not work when that was going on. Also, I was able to make it through the suboxone withdrawal and never could get through oxy. He will need your support. He probably will fixate on it. I know I did for about 6 weeks and then it just kind of lifted. But it felt like it would never end. He could probably go in to his family doctor and get some scripts to help out with this. He will need your support. I sincerely appreciated my husband letting me vent to him and talk about it. I think when you are in withdrawal you have a tendency to internalize and isolate so anything that gets you out of your head is helpful.

If you need anything feel free to send me a message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, he has to get off for his job. I am completely worried about the pre-occupation part. How did you fight off the urge to want to climb out of a window just to get more?? It's only DAY1 so he's okay for today, only saying he's cold and has no energy. I guess I'm a little relieved that he didn't wake up completely miserable today. But I do know that things will get worse.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No doubt you have checked this everyway you can, but can I ask, what job is it that is forcing him off of Suboxone? I just want to be certain that this really is the case - rather than something you think or fear might be the case. It is really unfortunate that someone would be forced off of a medication to get a job. Would this same employer force him off of Prozak or atenolol? It is so unfair. Perhaps this is for a pilot license or chafer license or something. How unfortunate to have to be put at risk of relapse in order to get a job - in essence, have a great potential to do a "worse" job for this company directly as a result of the company’s "rules"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe it is a chemical dependency job and they might actually test for it and I am sure they drug test.

Fighting the urge to what did you say...jump out a window and go get something? I got the meds I mentioned. Third, I actually cheated a little and used a few vicodin but I jumped at 12mg which could be worse - although I don't know that for certain. I complained to my husband frequently. I repeatedly scoured the house to see if there were pain killers left somewhere I didn't know about (I knew there weren't any but it made me feel better to look). I complained, complained, complained. Then I set into motion and started scheduling appointments with my doctor just to see if he could do anything. Then the therapist. Then the psychiatrist. I just kept telling myself someone would certainly be able to fix it without me running out and getting high or going back on suboxone. Every time I had to wait a few more days for an appointment and every day that went by was a little better until one day it was gone.

Oh....it is REALLY hard to focus on anything when you feel that way. Movies sucked for me because they were too long and learning new characters and blah blah was too much energy. I watched a lot of Dexter and Big Love. You can space out for large parts of those and still know what is going on.

My husband pretty much waited on me hand and foot which was helpful as I didn't want to get up and do anything. I WISH I had someone who knew what they were talking about to tell me it would go away but I really didn't. But you can always assure him of that. NA meetings were actually good to some extent because either there was some other poor person in the room sneezing and sweating and complaining or there were other people talking about the fact they had been there and THEY got through it so there had to be some light at the end of the tunnel right?

It is pretty desperate to be honest. Day by day. Just make it really clear that it is ok if he tells you he WANTS to use or feels like he wants to use and you will understand that. He will need to be able to get that off his chest without feeling like a schmuck. I was really worried what my husband would think when I would say that but in the end he didn't judge me and he understood or at least he didn't freak out.

I am pretty sure your husband is in a much better place to begin with than I was. I am sure he will get through it. Sounds like he has known this was coming and kind of planned on it. Did I mention to go get those meds???? Seriously. It will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do appreciate your encouraging words! He's actually going to be working for a counselor who treats addicts, and people with other problems (ie, marital issues). For now, he will be teaching state issued DUI classes for first offenders. The man feels (I guess) that it will be hard for my hubby to counsel substance users when he is still "using" himself. I really don't know, that's just my opinion. Unfortunately, he succumbed to the pre-occupation, and got 2 suboxones. He swears he will use them to tapper properly, but if he doesn't he said he would go to an inhouse detox program. I just wish (to the point it makes me sick) that he would have used the program the way it was supposed to be used originally, tapper off after a few months. I guess we'll see how that goes. I really don't want him to be really sick, but at the same time, he has kind of brought it on himself (I hate to say it, because I do love him sooo much, but it's true), and the experience he will go through will hopefully stick with him so that he will never touch another addictive drug in his life. Oh, if it were that simple...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay guys, we're back at square one. He finished the two he got today. They lasted him him like 2 weeks. For the past 3 or 4 days he was only taking an 8th of a pill (which was an 8mg). Today, he really didn't even have a full 8th though. He seems to be doing alright, but it kind of just hit me that here we go again! I'm going to look over your kind and encourage words again just to remind me that things will be okay! He told me not to mention it, I guess not to remind him that he has none left. I am hoping his body is used to barely having anything! I just pray that this whole thing will be over soon! Just thought I'd let yall know that here we go again! Maybe the take 2 will work better than the first!