It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: terrified of stopping
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello....I am on suboxone and have tried to quit cold turkey, FAIL, now I am on a taper at the suggestion of my doctor. He wants me to set a quit date. I don't want to set a quit date, I am terrified of WD again. It is the worst thing I have ever experienced. I had to have my mom come take care of me and I am 39 years old!
Can I just stay on it forever? I function better, I am happier, I just started a new job and don't wanna jump off!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally, I don't like it when doctors get rigid like that and start insisting on when you should get off it like your doctor is doing. You know best what it is YOU need and personally I think your doctor should respect that and at the very least take that into account. Besides, a taper plan should ideally be pretty flexible, not set in stone.

And there is no rule that says you cannot stay on it for life. I may do just that myself. If you are safe from relapse and are doing better in all those areas of your life with suboxone and more importantly, you do NOT feel ready to quit, then in my opinion, you are NOT ready to stop it yet. Plus many people look at opiate addiction as a medical condition, similar to high blood pressure or diabetes - life long conditions that require medications. Opiate addiction is also a life long condition that happens to be deadly. Suboxone treats it and helps put us into remission. Your doctor wouldn't push you off your BP meds, would s/he? I know that isn't the best comparison, but I think you get my meaning.

I would suggest a serious conversation with your sub doctor. If you don't make any headway, you could always start looking at other sub doctors. I only caution you to not quit your first sub doctor until you have a new one all set and lined up. You don't want to leave yourself in a spot without a sub doc.

Good luck and I hope your doctor decides to start listening to you and showing you some respect.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for supporting my wishes! Will you come with me to the doctor? LOL
I have an appt tomorrow and will talk to him, if we can't see eye to eye on this, I will have to find another Dr.
I have been on sub for about 6 months and am doing well, functioning in day to day life.
I have been reading the posts about jumping off and the withdraw lasting up to a month. I have a family and now a job, I can't be sick now!
I will write tomorrow and let you know how it goes!