It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Oh my temper!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So it's been 15 days since I had a sub. I weaned down over the course of several months, and I was somewhere around 1 mg when I quit. Hard to tell exactly because I was breaking down the 8 mg tablets. I was on sub 3 years.

Overall, it's not been the horror show of a withdrawal that I have read about on some websites. Perhaps because I weaned down?

But the worst part, at this point, is my temper. I just blow up over the smallest stuff. I will yell at my boyfriend and kids over the littlest thing. It's really affecting my family. I also have periods of the most intense hunger I have ever felt, like I can't get enough to eat. But then I don't get hungry for hours and hours. I also have some mid back pain (kidney area), that I have seen mentioned in a couple of posts around the net, so I guess that's normal?

Sleep is still pretty messed up. Seroquel helps me get a couple of hours of sleep a night, but it's sporadic and filled with bad dreams. I'm wondering if that is why my temper is so bad?

So I was just wondering from some of you who have done this - how long does the muscle pain last, when will I stop being hungry, and when will my sleep return??

Thanks for your help, and the support on this great board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing that, it sounds like you a doing a great job though. Keep up the good work. I am down to 4mg and plan to quit at about 1mg eventually. How has it been like a week ago, your first week of w/d?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wonder if the horror show w/d you are talking about were people quitting from like 4mg or something. I even hear quitting 1mg is hard. I use tablets (generic bupe) so it would be a bit harder to tell exactly what it is when I break it up, versus the ease of using suboxone films.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Freedom. Congrats on coming this far. You've done really well, and I take my hat off to you.

Irritability is a known symptom of opioid PAWS. I remember in rehab, people's level of tolerance was a lot lower in the early weeks post-withdrawal than in the later months of the program. This is normal, try not to stress. Romeo spoke of having a short temper for some time after he went off Suboxone.

PAWS symptoms lift gradually, almost so slowly that it's hard to notice them improving at the time. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that you can notice you've improved. ie 1-2 months down the road, you'll look back at the temper you have now, and you'll notice that you've actually come a long way.

People coming off Sub often struggle to sleep for a good 3-4 weeks. Be grateful that you do have some seroquel, as many people don't get a wink of sleep for 2 weeks.

Keep pushing on, and just remember to breathe when you feel that anger bubbling up. If you notice it and observe it rather than run with it, you'll find yourself able to handle a lot more stress without reacting. I remember when I was on Interferon, my level of irritability was through the roof. I even at one stage nearly punched on with my diving instructor, which doesn't make for a safe diving environment. But you can handle it. It might sound cheesey, but if you observe the frustration rising and think to yourself "wow this is making my anger rise", you can actually channel it in a more constructive way instead of blowing your lid. Warn those around you and make them aware of what you're going through as well, because a bit of understanding from your loved ones will make people more tolerant all round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Freedom,

TeeJay is right, I experienced a wicked short temper not long after I got off Suboxone. Not only did I scare my wife and child, I scared myself at how easily I lost control. TeeJay also gave you some sensational advice. Tell your family about your temper issues, let them know it's temporary and it's just a part of the wd process. Also, like TeeJay said, you're now aware of your temper, use that knowledge and awareness to start "short circuiting" any more outbursts.

You also asked about muscle pain, your hunger and sleep issues. I think the muscle pain is more than likely your opiate receptors learning how to behave again. They're probably overreacting right now. If the pain worsens, you should go see your doctor, though.

The hunger thing.....during my wd, I gained about 25 lbs. First time I had ever went through opiate wd and GAINED weight. I was actually astonished that I had an appetite during my wd. Anyhoo, the appetite returned to normal after a month or two. I'm guessing because you jumped off around 1mg, your appetite will normalize sooner, rather than later.

Your sleep issues will more than likely improve in time. Sleep is usually one of the last things to return to normal. For the most part, you just have to be patient with this one. If you want, you can try Unisom (with Doxylamine Succinate), it works really good for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks guys, for the input. I have been reading here for years, but it took a bit of courage to post. You can't imagine how good it feels to know that others are out there rooting for me.

I will try what you said about the temper, and realize it is only temporary. I think its a good idea to recognize, like you said, and channel it into something else. Thank you for the suggestions. I guess temper/irritability is to be expected when your body is going thru so many changes.

Stewart, the first week was not so bad. I took Romeo's advice about the clonidine, and I think that helped. I only took a pill a day for a week. I had some mild nausea and the runs, and I took a little bit of immodium for a couple of days. A tiny bit of restless legs when I first tried to fall asleep, and I actually still have that a bit. I felt cold, had a bunch of goosebump episodes. Sneezing... Most of what you would expect. It sounds bad, but it's really not! I was still able to function and keep up with my daily routine. The frustrating part is that it is painfully slow. Like I've read many others say, you don't feel like you are getting better until you look back a week and see how far you have come. Keep us posted about your detox off subs. And i will tell you the worst part is the sleep. I slept too much on subs, but it is so difficult for me to function on only a little sleep. I don't know if you have access to any sleep meds, maybe try the unisom that Romeo mentioned. Even xanax didn't do a bit of good helping me sleep. I am thankful for the seroquel.

Oh, and I can't afford to gain any weight! I must be one of the few people that gained weight on subs, and it sucks. I was hoping to lose weight by going off of them. I know, it will all even out eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i havnt heard anyone mention neurontin (gabapentin) in this thread yet. It really worked for me when i got off suboxone - it helped me sleep, stop aching, gave me some energy. I used it off and on for a few weeks and then stopped. Doctors usually prescribe it fairly easy since it's not typically considered addictive. Research it.

yoga and relaxation techniques can help with the irritibility, go on youtube and look up some easy stretches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hey freedom thanks for sharing that.. i am on day 17 off of subs and for some reason i have neglected to mention those same issues. except for the sleep part, which is really annoying by the way and i am sure you feel the same way, not sleeping sucks a big one.. but i guess it is just nice to hear what you are going through because it makes me feel somewhat normal or what ever because we are having the same symptoms.. my anger has kind of scared me as well when I can just snap at any moment, and the amount of food that i am eating is crazy, I feel i cannot get enough, like Im a bottomless pit or something... But I just wanted to thank you for sharing because I have felt the exact same way as you have, so its gotta be somewhat normal and temporary right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I will look into neurontin, I am willing to try just about anything and have a good doctor that I'm sure would be willing to help.

Rob, my other issue that I didn't mention is that my attention span is really short. Are you having that too? I think that must be part of the PAWS too, but sitting thru church the other day was just too much. I had to get up and wander around halfway through. And I seem to be able to focus on housework or anything else for only a few minutes before I get antsy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

freedom,
honestly its really bad for me attention wise, but im super adhd lol so i dunno if that helps you or not.. i was the kid in school that sang and danced on the tables. honestly just to sit here and type this i have to be listening to music on youtube, and my son is playing video games so my attention keeps getting diverted to that as well. but yea i guess now that i am thingking about it since i have started this WD process i am happiest when i am doing four things at once.. sitting still is the when the worst feelings come for me, so yea i guess to answer your question my adhd has gotten a little worse. sorry probably wasnt much help since my attention span can only be measured in Nano-seconds already anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Day 19 here without a sub. I have to say the last few days have been better, leading me to believe that 2 weeks is really the turning point. The back pain is gone, I haven't had that horribly uncomfortable hunger issue, and all the other symptoms like yawning, goose bumps, nausea, etc. seem gone. My energy is still low, but nothing I can't overcome with some pushing.

Sleep is still a big issue. Like I've said, I have seroquel and that seems to knock me out for about 6 hours. But I do not seem to sleep peacefully. I wake up with jaw and tooth pain from grinding/clenching my teeth. I hope I dont sound like I'm complaining, because it really wasn't all that horrible. I would be glad to have a good night's rest, but that will come I am sure.

So far I haven't had any cravings. That is my biggest fear - that the desire to use either drugs or alcohol will return. Alcohol was my problem long before pills, and the sub literally cured me of the desire to drink. I guess I need to start looking at posts from people who have been off subs longer to see if people who have been off longer start to get cravings again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I had spouts of intense anger myself during the first few weeks. It's like your adrenaline ( and for men testosterone ) goes through the roof.

It passes in time though. I'd just leave the house and take a walk till the anger passed.

Glad to hear your recovery is starting to get easier! Keep it up.

Oh and sleep for me was sporadic and horrible for about a month. I wouldn't hate life too much if you're getting 6 hours.

WTBF