It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Telemedicine/E-Doctors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Has anyone tried the online doctor approach? I saw a thing online for a Suboxone program where you speak with a provider via video conferencing from your home. It’s a bit on the spendy side at $270 for the first visit and $150 for each follow up but it might be worth it to avoid the hassle and runaround of dealing with a traditional clinic. Especially when you get random pill counts and are told to come in daily for observed dosing if your
levels are jusr a little bit off and you can’t make it in on certain days due to work and stuff like that. It’s just something I’ve been mulling around about and I was wondering if anyone had has any experience with this
type of program. Oh the clinic I’m currently going to uses the Telemed program so I’m not completely unfamiliar with the concept. They have CNAs/nurses you see in person in the office who take vitals and give you your UA cup and set the schedules and then you’re ushered into a private room with a computer where you speak with another nurse before they leave and a doctor comes on screen.

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just curious-- are the doctors who you see from locations in your state, or are they in a nationwide network? And do they do only buprenorphine drugs, or do they do psychiatry too? Would you be willing to message me and tell me the state you live in?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am 

I would absolutely love something like this! As expensive as that is, it is still cheaper than what I already pay each month. I would really like even being able to see a doctor part time like this but a place that offered telemedicine would be really cool too. The only thing I'd worry about would be getting my medication filled if it were a doctor outside of my state. I obviously don't know how all this works but after being in a clinic type setting, this sounds pretty darn good to me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I go to a clinic in Austin. Once i arrive, I do my drug screen and then I go to a room where I video chat with my Doctor. He asks me the usual: med check and how things are going, then he calls in my refill to CVS.

It is really convenient. But...I still have to come in once a month and do the Drug screen and Pay $180. I really don't see a big difference in visiting with him or someone else in person at the clinic.

I guess it would be even better if i could visit at my house and not have to go in at all. A girl can dream.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 am 

Oh yeah raudy that's what I assumed it was, seeing someone from home. I obviously know we'd have to get our drug screening somewhere but if it were going into an office and then videoing then I wouldn't see much of a difference at all. Heck the waiting around all day long to see a doctor and dealing with all the other things is why I'd love to try a different way. I guess we can dream, ur right lol :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:06 pm 

My doctor has me come in 4 times a year. The other 8 or 9 times he has a video app called Hale which I access through my phone. I speak with my doctor for 10 to 20 minutes, going through how my month has been and what my med needs are.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
My doctor has me come in 4 times a year. The other 8 or 9 times he has a video app called Hale which I access through my phone. I speak with my doctor for 10 to 20 minutes, going through how my month has been and what my med needs are.

Amy

I would love something like that! I found out there’s a telemedicine program for Suboxone in my city and I emailed them for more info and am currently awaiting a response. :)

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

raudy1975 wrote:
I go to a clinic in Austin. Once i arrive, I do my drug screen and then I go to a room where I video chat with my Doctor. He asks me the usual: med check and how things are going, then he calls in my refill to CVS.

It is really convenient. But...I still have to come in once a month and do the Drug screen and Pay $180. I really

don't see a big difference in visiting with him or someone else in person at the clinic.

I guess it would be even better if i could visit at my house and not have to go in at all. A girl can dream.

That sounds a lot like what they do at my clinic. Except we don’t have to pay for the drug test. Well, if you’re on Medicaid you don’t. Good thing cause some of us are daily and weekly visits and it’s a UA at every visit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Oh yeah raudy that's what I assumed it was, seeing someone from home. I obviously know we'd have to get our drug screening somewhere but if it were going into an office and then videoing then I wouldn't see much of a difference at all. Heck the waiting around all day long to see a doctor and dealing with all the other things is why I'd love to try a different way. I guess we can dream, ur right lol :)

Even though we do telemed at my clinic the average wait time per visit is still over an hour sometimes two and it’s even worse whenever their internet goes down! They will sometimes have a few doctors in the building to take patients but most of the time you are waiting to speak with someone in a room over a computer. On Thursdays for some reason the wait time can be as long as three hours!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am 

On the day of my doctor appointment, I sign in around 11 and do my drug screen and wait. Most of the time it's close to 5:30-6 before I walk out of there heading to the pharmacy..... which closes at 6. It's crowded and even though I only go once a month, that's excessive waiting time every single month. Plus I also go for my meetings the day before but my issue is that next day waiting all day long. I love my doctor and I love the staff that I've gotten to know over the years, but the waiting is killing me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jenn, that is way too long!. I can see if you have to go to one of those 1 hour classes while you wait might take up some time. ...But Seriously, that is the whole day!.

I do appreciate that at my clinic, it takes about an hour for the whole process...drug screen the dr. visit. I see a counselor which allows me to bypass those classes. But i do hope with all this Opiod Crisis going on that there will be some easier ways to get Suboxone and less wait time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 pm 

Yes it's way too long raudy! I've been dealing with it for years and it's always the same only probably worse last few years because they've started accepting new insurance and u wouldn't believe how much busier it is now. It's so long of a wait that I always stress wondering if I'll make it to the pharmacy...... it closes at 6 and is 1 block away! From my house, I drive about 40 minutes to get there so it's really inconvenient to not be able to fill my script the day I'm at the doctor because I'm already there. It would suck to get up the next morning and drive another 40 minutes there and another 40 minutes bk when I could have filled it the day before when I was already there. It really is a shame though to worry about the pharmacy closing when I've signed in at 11 and at 5:30 still stressed that I'm not going to make it before the pharmacy closes.

These are things I stress over and wish this telemedicine thing was more available in my area. I really do jump through a thousand hoops to stay in this treatment. I love my doctor and counselor and nurse plus all the ladies in the office but the waiting weighs on me a lot, lately more than ever for some reason. I know there's so many of us addicts needing help and some places are more crowded than others, so I'm very understanding but on a personal selfish level..... I'm exhausted with it :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jeez, Jen that sucks. It makes me feel like the problems I mentioned in my thread are trivial. If I had to miss work once a month to get Sub it would jeopardize my job. What state are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:06 pm 

Yes Lilly it really sucks! I hate to complain because this medication has help turn my life around but sometimes I just have to talk about it because I get so aggravated. Exhausting is a great word that comes to mind.

I live in Tennessee but my clinic & pharmacy is in Kentucky because I'm right on the border of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. My clinic has awesome ppl working there and I love them and my doctor to death but it's so crowded and the waiting.............. omg the waiting! I bet I look like the most hateful person ever during my doctor visit days lol, I sit there so long & get so aggravated that I know it's all over my face. Ppl are probably wondering who this hateful butt is with that mad look on her face not speaking to anyone :)