It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Tapering off Subs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I’m about to be completely off of suboxone forever. As I look around the Internet for information about tapering off, there are a dozen different ways people say “work.” Honestly, most of them are a load of crap. People are posting things like “… jump off at 2mg.” Let me be the first to tell you your F’N insane to attempt this. I’ve also seen people jump off at 4/2/1 mgs, and let me say your F’N insane to attempt this. Maybe someone out there is super strong willed and may attempt this. I won’t attempt this unless you don’t have a job, family, or any other commitments to be at for a week, because your going to be sick as shit jumping off that high. This is my account, my story, and soon to be success. This is an attempt to help any fellow addicts out there who want to quit suboxone.

I first tired heroin in high school and like most of know was hooked right away. I used heroin daily for 7 yrs. My husband and I were tired of being sick and tired, so we switched to Suboxone in 2008. I have been on subs for 6 yrs. Now let me clearly put this out there…. Suboxone has saved my life and has been the key to my success in recovery and life. If it weren’t for sub, I wouldn’t have experienced getting married, going back to school later in life, buying + enjoying my first home, and graduating with my Associates, Bachelors, and Masters degree (all clean on subs). For those that need and depend on suboxone, I wish you nothing but a successful life. There is NO shame in those that depend and need this drug in order to survive and live. For me, I got tired of being a slave to suboxone, I got tired of the dirty judgmental looks from pharmacist (judgmental pricks), I got tired of forgetting my medicine at home and obsessing about it all day at work or school. At this point of my life, I’m trying to conceive a child and I want a job at a place that tests for all drugs. So to make a long story short, I needed to quit suboxone.

First things first… you need to be 100% dedicated to getting off suboxone for good. If you’re not ready to end that love affair, I wouldn’t attempt this until your good and ready.
When your ready, tell your doctor to switch you to the strips if your still on the octagons. Invest a couple dollars on a good set of tweezers, a pillbox divided in the seven days of the week, and small surgical scissors.
For those on higher doses than 4mg, it’s easier to tapper down in the higher mgs than the lower mgs (after 1mg it’s harder). If your brave enough, cut the mg in half and see what happens. If not follow the same routine as below.

The first 1st month I went from 4 mgs to 3.5mgs. I stayed at 3.5 mgs for an entire month. I then tapered down .50mgs every 2-3 weeks. I kept it at two weeks so I could remember to cutback again. Now when I got to 1mg I had to get my stuff together.

At 1mg, I bought a pill holder (which has the seven days a week labeled). This makes it easier to divide the small milligrams. At 1mg at started tapering back .25mgs every four weeks. Honestly, the w/d really weren’t that bad. My legs were fine, my stomach was fine, my energy was fine, I didn’t feel sick, and there was barely any discomfort. The only thing that did happen was I was really hot at night and the third day after I tapered down .25mg I woke-up every couple hours. This only lasted one at the super most two days in a row. Make sure you don’t tapper too fast. Your body needs those four weeks to adjust to less suboxone. There were some days I felt weak or my body hurt, so I would take .125 or .25mgs (basically a crumb) for a day or two. Unfortunately, I was punished for those days of weakness with that one hot sleepless night again. Do not have a moment of weakness more than three days in a row, because you will get comfortable with that mg again.

(At this point most of the w/d symptoms are in your head, like I said it’s a love affair and breaking up is hard)
The most second most important thing you can takeaway from this post is get your ass to the gym. As soon as you get down to .50mgs, get your ass to the gym. You will feel a shift in energy the lower you get. Going to the gym (trust me I have to pull myself out of bed four times a week) is 100% worth it. I can see a clear difference in my energy levels the days I workout and the days I do not.
Now I can’t promise there won’t be some discomfort, but hey we got ourselves into this mess with heroin. If I felt some minimum discomfort, but I would take that any day of the week compared to straight heroin or oxy w/d. Don’t be an ass and go at your own pace, I just know my pace worked perfectly for me. I’m currently on .125mgs, and I’m actually kind of excited to get off suboxone. I will post again and let people know how I make out. All the searching and I never found any follow-ups.

Last edited by BrandNewLife123 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Tappering off Subs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:00 am 

Hey B NEW LIFE, Im no were near ready to stop but lately ive thought about it. Bn at 4 mgs the last three months three months down for 6 for a year before. 16 mgs to start 38 months ago..

I really dont comment much on this subject but liked your post so much and your numbers. Good info an pep talk..ive read before that we have to REALLY WANT IT to be successful jumping. .I thought tbe post was very positive...and hopeful. ..razor..

Oh and ill try not to be an ass anymore than I already am ..lol...thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor-
Congrats on cutting back from such a high dosage. You may want to evaluate the reasons why you want to come off suboxone. I don't believe getting off of subs is for everyone. It really depends on what's going on in your life and the true reason you want to get off. Best of luck with whatever decision you make and thanks for the feedback.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hi BNL,

That was a very well written post regarding the tapering and reasons for stopping topic.

The most important thing you said was "you need to be 100% dedicated to getting off suboxone for good". The failure rate is so very high for those who just say they want off compared to those with a good plan and determination, like you. Your reasons are the most valid ones anyone could come up with. What took you so long to join our community?

I wish you the best and hope you return 6 months, 1 year, etc., to show others that it can be done if done correctly.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:51 pm 

"No where near ready to stop" i think thats what was said..

Tbere are all kinds of reasons people stop..mostly bad ones some good.

I think your post was a great way to do it. Plus the cutting guide that has been offered..

No no im here for a loug time. This process we call recovery has its own speed an time.

My Bupe education comes directly from this forum and the people here . Plus the TalkZone an Dr J's writings.

As for tappering and jumping?, not yet if ever. This med for whatever reason stops so many painful things in my life. I give it credit,but ive work hard for this change in my life.

Again thanks for your post,Rule is correct, Where ya bn these last few months or year...:-):-).

Razor...
An please keep us updated...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks again for the comments. I wrote this for two reasons: to help others like myself and find some encouragement from people like myself. It took me awhile to gather my thoughts and get my shit together enough to share my story. Like Razor said, recovery works at its own pace. Plus I wasn't ready to face my own truth… that I had gotten myself into this situation and I was the only one that can get myself out of it. I'm really glad this forum is available to a variety of people seeking valuable information about suboxone. :D